The Student Room Group

How to remove the 'black box'

I am selling my car, but my insurance wants to charge me over £100 to remove the telematic box from my car :afraid:

I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to remove it and they won't tell me how to remove it! Does anyone know how to remove it?
Can you not just unplug / unscrew it? I imagine there just a simple power cable going into it. It will work using a GPS tracker and mobile phone data connection rather than plug into the car's computer so pretty easy to remove I would have thought.
Original post by STARFLEET
I am selling my car, but my insurance wants to charge me over £100 to remove the telematic box from my car :afraid:

I can't find any instructions anywhere on how to remove it and they won't tell me how to remove it! Does anyone know how to remove it?

I wouldnt risk trying to get it out yourself. It could work out more trouble than its worth.
Reply 3
Depending what box and what company they are kept in various places. Its almost always behind the glovebox with a small aeriel running up the side of your windscreen. Taking the glovebox off is an easy job (depending on your car ofcourse). Id look up a guide for that on an owners forum. Once you find it just snip all the wires going into it and pop it off with a hammer.

If your not confident giving it a try yourself pop it into a local garage and see what they quote you. It will probably be less than your insurer.
Reply 4
Find guide to install it. Follow in reverse. :yep:
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
I wouldnt risk trying to get it out yourself. It could work out more trouble than its worth.

Don't see how.
Not like they are tied into key systems.

Locate it. Disconnect battery. Snip wires. Tidy up what's left with electrical tape. Reconnect battery.

Or... just sell the car box and all. It's not like it'll affect the sale.
I found this video regarding the installation of the box

Why don't you just leave it in?
Original post by STARFLEET

You can leave it, or remember where they placed it and remove it yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending