The Student Room Group

Did anybody else have the trouble: lack of teaching?

Scroll to see replies

At my old school, I had a NTQ teacher who taught Catering. Although she was new to teaching and therefore had yet to gain the experience that my previous catering teacher had had, she kept talking about her love life in class, which was pretty revolting to hear! For some reason, she never really liked me, always being friendly towards the ones who kept disrupting her lessons all the time; within the three months I was in her class, I found out that she had been engaged and broken up with her fiance. Sounds like the kind of stuff you'd watch in a soap opera! xD
Honestly, self-teach/learn. You have hundreds of resources nowadays and it can be done easily. Anything you really don't understand you can ask the teacher or your peers.
Original post by CharmingCat
At my old school, I had a NTQ teacher who taught Catering. Although she was new to teaching and therefore had yet to gain the experience that my previous catering teacher had had, she kept talking about her love life in class, which was pretty revolting to hear! For some reason, she never really liked me, always being friendly towards the ones who kept disrupting her lessons all the time; within the three months I was in her class, I found out that she had been engaged and broken up with her fiance. Sounds like the kind of stuff you'd watch in a soap opera! xD

Omg, the amount of things i know about my teachers love lives is un-real! We hear all about their arguments and about how 'unreasonable' their boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives are being, or about how 'amazing' or 'clever' their children are. Jesus:P

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is basically me rn. Im doing my maths higher GCSE next year but my maths teacher is only teaching up to B grade??? Like what am i supposed to do when i see a and a* questions??? let god answer the questions??? I did an actual mock and i was 3 marks off an A despite having a WHOLE YEAR left of more B grade topics to cover. PS i go to a private school where my parents PAY money its ridiculous. I cant believe im going to have to teach myself topics bc my lazy ass teacher thinks we are dumb to and on top of that i have 10 other GCSES to complete . But its okay ill just have to use revision guides and online youtube videos ;///
Despite going to a grammar, the teaching was quite bad in my school (especially for chemistry). We were taught some unnecessary things and parts of the specification were completely missed out. Thankfully I'm quite an independent learner and always used the specification (which is probably the most underrated tool for revision) and revision guides/textbooks to teach myself. I don't think I've ever relied solely on class notes for revisions, and i don't see why anyone would. I remember when i did AS psychology we were taught something which was part of the old specification and everyone was annoyed that they spent ages revising it, apart from me because i didn't trust my teacher and bothered to look at the specification.
Original post by nadiakms
This is basically me rn. Im doing my maths higher GCSE next year but my maths teacher is only teaching up to B grade??? Like what am i supposed to do when i see a and a* questions??? let god answer the questions??? I did an actual mock and i was 3 marks off an A despite having a WHOLE YEAR left of more B grade topics to cover. PS i go to a private school where my parents PAY money its ridiculous. I cant believe im going to have to teach myself topics bc my lazy ass teacher thinks we are dumb to and on top of that i have 10 other GCSES to complete . But its okay ill just have to use revision guides and online youtube videos ;///

We had the same situation in maths (although it was more 'acceptable' as we are a normal secondary school, in a town where there is a grammar school so we're essentially the school that the 'less able' go to because they couldn't get into grammar). I'd complain or alternatively get your parents to complain now while you still have time to change it. It will all make a difference in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by daisychain_
Despite going to a grammar, the teaching was quite bad in my school (especially for chemistry). We were taught some unnecessary things and parts of the specification were completely missed out. Thankfully I'm quite an independent learner and always used the specification (which is probably the most underrated tool for revision) and revision guides/textbooks to teach myself. I don't think I've ever relied solely on class notes for revisions, and i don't see why anyone would. I remember when i did AS psychology we were taught something which was part of the old specification and everyone was annoyed that they spent ages revising it, apart from me because i didn't trust my teacher and bothered to look at the specification.

Yeah, thats the best thing to do really. I just wish some teachers would aid you in the learning process and teach you the things you need to know. I mean, is that too much to ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Astro-Smarties
Yeah, thats the best thing to do really. I just wish some teachers would aid you in the learning process and teach you the things you need to know. I mean, is that too much to ask? Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. They could go through the textbook/revision guide to act as a guide on what to cover and build on the content with their own knowledge.
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Yeah my school was kind of like this. They barely taught us at all in some subjects (in Chemistry, we only did 2/3rds of the spec. and she admitted this to our face a month before the exam) and then at the end of the year gave us (admittedly) superb revision tools and said, you can easily get an A* with this stuff, but you'll have to teach it yourself. I ended up teaching myself pretty much all 3 of my Science GCSEs because of this.

What were the tools? And I can relate :angry: tip don't reply on your teachers too much! x
Original post by web-girl
Hmm.. If your school is like this, I would have moved school ages ago. What's you school ranked in terms if Ofsted reporting? If its low or you live in a disadvantaged area its no problem because its not your fault. But dont wory about it, maybe you did great don't get your hopes up.

The teaching was the same for me and my school got the lowest ofsted report...... still managed to get 4As though 2BS and C. and BTECs etc.....
Original post by Astro-Smarties
For maths, we hadn't got taught most of the A/A* topics (most of the ones at the back of the paper) and for BOTH maths papers, the last questions were things we hadn't got taught and were things i had attempted to teach myself before the exam. The worst one was science, now i LOVE science but we had rubbish teachers. For the C456 exam, we had got taught the entirety of the topic in 3 days before the exam and in the holidays. For p455, we got taught p5 in the holidays, p4&6 in the two days before the exam. So it was safe to say im pretty angry. But to top it all off, for c7, we got taught it A DAY before the exam and THE SAME for p7. Im so angry. I was on my way and predicted A*s, and im so worried that because of this i will not get them. I was just wondering, did anybody else have these problems? And if so, how do you feel about the exams?

i have the same problem at my school. one the maths teachers refused to teach a quarter of the syllabus because she thought it would be 'too hard' for us. from this crappy school i have learnt to do everything myself and do not rely on teachers to help me get my grades :smile:
Am I right
True
Original post by nadiakms

this is exaclty what one of my teachers did for statstics, refused to teach higher than a C grade. but i stole a textbook two days before the exam and ended up getting an A haha.
OCR FSMQ was the prime example of this!

Skips :smile:
Irritatingly, I had to contend with my former Biology teacher (who is thankfully no longer causing endless misery in my academic life as I have since left the school she taught at) frequently being absent, which was beyond a joke! My old school's plan was that Double Science students like myself would complete the Biology unit by Christmas upon making a start on it in September but, by the time that December arrived, the class had only just begun the second of the seven chapters within the Biology course. Honestly, I am so glad that I'm no longer at that complete joke of a school... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest