The Student Room Group

Choosing which university to go.

I've received offer to study Law in University of Liverpool and University of West England, Bristol.

But I am having trouble to make a decision where to go.

UWE is higher on the Guardian university ranking than Uni of Liv. The tuition fee is cheaper too. But the living cost in Liverpool (at least from what I've read online) is cheaper than in Bristol.

I'm wondering if TSR community can shed more lights to the pros and cons between the two Universities.

Thanks!
Original post by qeelz
I've received offer to study Law in University of Liverpool and University of West England, Bristol.

But I am having trouble to make a decision where to go.

UWE is higher on the Guardian university ranking than Uni of Liv. The tuition fee is cheaper too. But the living cost in Liverpool (at least from what I've read online) is cheaper than in Bristol.

I'm wondering if TSR community can shed more lights to the pros and cons between the two Universities.

Thanks!

I would go to Liverpool instead. Tuition might be cheaper in Bristol, but the cost of living is pretty much higher than Liverpool. Not only that, Liverpool is a Russell Group uni, which I think would be a better option than going to UWE.
Reply 2
wtf is UWE?
both are pretty poor, id suggest aimimg higher for a real shot at commercial law firms
Reply 4
Original post by zero_gravity
I would go to Liverpool instead. Tuition might be cheaper in Bristol, but the cost of living is pretty much higher than Liverpool. Not only that, Liverpool is a Russell Group uni, which I think would be a better option than going to UWE.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I will be an international student, thus am no familiar with Russell Group. Can you please explain what are the advantages to being associated to them?
Original post by qeelz

I will be an international student, thus am no familiar with Russell Group. Can you please explain what are the advantages to being associated to them?

None whatsoever, making a decision based on whether or not something is Russell group makes zero sense, it won't affect you in the slightest whether or not a uni is part of some group. Some very highly regarded units like St Andrews and Bath aren't part of it, and that doesn't make them any worse. It's just that he majority of 'good' unis are part of it so people assume that Russell group <=> good universities, kind of like saying all dogs are animals so all animals are dogs.

Never, ever, ever base a decision off the Guardian league tables btw (and league tables generally), they're almost entirely based off stuff like satisfaction and staff to student ratio and are very deceptive, it's best to look at sites like university.which.co.uk to get specific stats you're interested in.

The Complete University league tables have a column about the average UCAS tariff points the students for a given course have, can give a vague idea of prestige. Don't talk any league tables as gospel, but the individual columns can be useful, ignore the employment prospects column, though, it almost always refers to just number of graduates who were looking for work who find jobs without giving an indication of the kind of jobs. Better to look at average graduate salary on which.university.co.uk.
Original post by qeelz

The Russell Group is a group of research-intensive universities that is regarded as some of the best universities in the UK. You can read more on their website: http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/.

There aren't necessarily much advantages, other than the fact that you will be regarded in a higher light than those that are regarded as lower in tier. Of course, this doesn't mean that your chances are hampered if you don't go to Liverpool; it's just that it would be harder to prove to employers of your abilities if you do go to a university that is of a lower tier.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending