The Student Room Group

MSc in Psych at Leeds Beckett vs Roehampton

Hello,

I need some advice desperately so if anyone reads this any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

I am a "mature" student and decided to pursue an MSc in Pscyhology. I'm currently in the UK but because I'm traveling soon (for a few years) I enrolled at Roehampton online. However, I realize that it would be better to get a psych masters with BPS accreditation as it would help in getting a better job and possibly a PhD in the future. Leeds Beckett offers a BPS conversion MS program online, which is what I'm considering applying to. The obvious advantage to LB is the BPS accreditation and that it's 1 year as opposed to Roehampton online - no BPS and it will take 2.5 years (and I'm not getting any younger). However, Leeds Beckett is currently ranked at 114!! That's a pretty low ranking... and that's the only reason why I'm hesitant really.

Any advice or thoughts on this?
I wouldn't take the ranking too seriously.

Remember that you have to attend a week long course to get your bps accreditation with Leeds Beckett. I turned my course offer down a few weeks ago but I did it on the basis that LB wouldn't let me leave the psychology course with a PgCert or PgDip if I were to find myself at the point where I was unable to afford the full MA. I'm quite stringent in checking for that kind of thing with postgraduate degrees as someone who has to self fund.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you laurakate1988, your feedback is reassuring. I guess everyone's obsession with ranking has me a bit paranoid. I think I'm also a little worried about career opportunities as someone from a higher ranking university might be given preference. I suppose this could be offset with some good work experience.
Honestly, the whole ranking thing is a word I'm not gonna write on here lol :smile:

Nobody has ever said my degrees hold less value because they're from ex polys. Seriously don't worry about it :smile: the most important thing is the course content, the mode of study and the price and the subject.
Reply 4
Thank you, that was very helpful! :smile:
http://www.roehampton-online.com/programmes/psychology/msc-in-psychology/admission-routes

Found some bps related info on this page.

I wanted to do psychology and or sociology for the purpose of having them as a subject I'd like to teach im FE. I'm leaning much more towards sociology though because the psychology A level looks a bit bleugh (which is a shame considering how interesting I find the subject itself!)

Really glad you started this thread because I didn't know about Roehampton. Manchester metropolitan uni does an online psychology masters too come to think of it :smile:
Roehamptons $11000 translates to about £6930 compared to Leeds Becketts £4500. I would definitely want to be with LB in this regard.
Reply 7
I've started at Roehampton (just finished the first module) and am happy with the course content so far. My only concern was, like I mentioned before, that it wasn't BPS/GBC. I checked the BPS site but their online degree isn't listed as accredited but checking your link it would appear they are! I'm a little confused now and I think I'll try to email BPS directly to inquire into this.
Fingers crossed for you! The bps thing os more vital for some directions than others. I wasn't too fussed as someone wanting to teach rather than actually beba psychologist but that's just me.
Reply 9
:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending