The Student Room Group

This whole "fluid gender" thing..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pathway

Yeah, it is a shame. It's people like you that terrorise people who are different and often drive people to suicide. SMH.

yeah a shame indeed, let me get my violin out for the people i've killed because of my views, wait hang on, can't find it coz i don't give a ****
The cause of "genderfluidity" is not mental illness but gender stereotypes.
Liking cars does not make you a man any more than wearing dresses makes you a woman.
Just because some days you feel "masculine" and some days you feel "feminine" (i.e. You have moods, just like everyone else), you are not genderfluid.
It is worrying that people cannot see that their personalities are perfectly acceptable for their sex to have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by driftawaay
There are massive differences between a male and a female brain. To say the least of it, our brain structure is shaped by sex hormones such as testosterone and estrogen in the womb before we are born. Obviously males' brains get more exposure to testosterone and females' brains get more exposure to estrogens. This is why men tend to be more aggressive (because of testosterone) and women tend to be more emotional (because of estrogen). These hormones shape whether we view ourselves as male or female. There have been studies done with chimpanzees and a doll and a truck was placed on the ground for a group of male and female chimpanzees. The females played with the doll while the males ignored the dolls and played exclusively with the trucks

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/09/101220-chimpanzees-play-nature-nurture-science-animals-evolution/

There is a video of it somewhere, I will try to find it.

So when human girls play with dolls and boys play with trucks, it is not because society forced those gender norms on them, it is because women are wired to play with dolls or 'feminine' toys while males are wired to play with 'male' toys. It is just in the make up of our brain. Nobody told those chimpanzees that they are girls and should play with the doll. I have a little cousin who is 2 years old and he gets excited whenever he sees a car and wants to get in and drive and only plays with traditional male toys even though he spends a lot of time at my aunt's house who has a little daughter who only has dolls and girly stuff and he has always been encouraged to play in that room full of those toys yet he never showed any interest in them, while my girl cousin would never get excited about a car either.

So that is what a manifestation of a 'male' and a 'female' brain would be because of the hormones that shaped our brains.

That is exactly the point, a female-to-male transgendered person has experienced what it is like to have a male brain since they have a male brain. That is the only thing they have experienced.You can know you 'feel like a man' because you have a male brain. A female-to-male person would not know what it is like to be a female or feel like a female- since they don't have a female brain.

I never understood why people find it hard to understand transgenderism, it is not a difficult concept.

How the **** would a chimp know what a doll or a truck was?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bittr n swt
yeah a shame indeed, let me get my violin out for the people i've killed because of my views, wait hang on, can't find it coz i don't give a ****

You're the type of kid who goes on Call of Duty and screams about ****ing peoples mums aren't you?

Original post by StarvingAutist

Just because some days you feel "masculine" and some days you feel "feminine" (i.e. You have moods, just like everyone else), you are not genderfluid.

But that's exactly what it is. And it's about breaking down the social construct that you have to be one or the other.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/ruby-rose-being-gender-fluid-having-best-both-sexes180615

And you do not decide what someone is. They decide that.
Original post by bittr n swt

You sound like an absolute wasteman. Begone, peasant.
Original post by blackened_sky

But that's exactly what it is. And it's about breaking down the social construct that you have to be one or the other.

http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/ruby-rose-being-gender-fluid-having-best-both-sexes180615

And you do not decide what someone is. They decide that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My personality does not have genitals. I have genitals.
**** gender stereotypes. If a woman enjoys fixing cars, why should she feel obliged to create a new gender so that she can feel comfortable with her own personality?
It's sad. Can people not be happy with their sex? Do they really give in to stereotypes so easily, and in such a mentally harmful manner? Why should they have to look a certain way in order to act a certain way?
I'm not judging transgender/genderfluid people, just commenting on how sad it is that people can be so repulsed by their own body.
What about androgynous people? They look both female and male. My kind of gal/guy :sexface::perv::sexface:
Posted from TSR Mobile

**** gender stereotypes. If a woman enjoys fixing cars, why should she feel obliged to create a new gender so that she can feel comfortable with her own personality?
It's sad. Can people not be happy with their sex? Do they really give in to stereotypes so easily, and in such a mentally harmful manner? Why should they have to look a certain way in order to act a certain way?
I'm not judging transgender/genderfluid people, just commenting on how sad it is that people can be so repulsed by their own body.

That sounds an awful lot like judging to me. :rolleyes: Sex and gender aren't the same thing you know.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Eh, it's not about obligations, it's about what people want to describe themselves as. If they'd rather refer to themselves as something outside of the gender binary norm, then why should anyone else care?

I really don't understand what you're trying to get at here because of how it is worded, but it sounds like you're blaming non-binary people for having social constructs forced upon them.
This reminds me of the film Welcome to the Jungle, where the rock tells people to choose option A or option B. Then Sean William Scott chooses option C.
I admit I'm a bit dubious as well.
Being born one gender but identifying yourself as the other is a mental illness.
Being transgendered is not a mental illness. HOWEVER, having gender dysphoria is a mental heath problem which many trans people struggle with. And yes there is a difference.

Oh, and given that gender is a social construct, you can't be born with a gender. You're assigned a sex at birth, which may or may not be in line with your gender.
(edited 8 years ago)
I just don't get it. I don't understand why this needs a label. Like if you're a female (biologically) who's gender fluid but chooses to remain a female, aren't they predominantly identifying as female. Like what does it mean to identify as both genders? That you have both masculine and feminine traits? That you have a combination of predominantly male and predominantly female interests? If its either of these, isn't this relatively normal (by which I mean practised by themajority since I'm pretty sure normal is basically a dirty word these days)?
Original post by Pathway
Being transgendered is not a mental illness. HOWEVER, having gender dysphoria is a mental heath problem which many trans people struggle with. And yes there is a difference.

Oh, and given that gender is a social construct, you can't be born with a gender. You're assigned a sex at birth, which may or may not be in line with your gender.

To confirm- sex is biological, gender is identity based yes?
I can subscribe to the idea (even though I struggle with it sometimes) of men identifying as being a woman and vice versa. But the idea that people change which gender they identify to sounds mentally unstable to me. I can't agree with the idea that there are more than two genders, that's just madness. Same with the whole pansexual thing. I can see straight, gay, bisexual and asexual as a thing, but anything else to me just sounds like people making things up to just try and be different. It's a cry of attention, and not in a good way.
Original post by EllieC130
To confirm- sex is biological, gender is identity based yes?

Sex is based on biology (doctor or whoever delivers the child looks at its genitals and assigns the birth sex like that usually - can be difficult for those who are intersex).
Gender identity is your own private view of how you experience gender. Hence, it's subjective, and up to the individual to decide what they are/aren't.
Gender expression is what society sees you as, and people take things like your clothes choice, voice, mannerisms, etc. into account when they do this.

These can all "match up" or not.
Errr the person with the brain chooses?

You're saying gender is a choice? :s-smilie:
Original post by tazarooni89
You're saying gender is a choice? :s-smilie:

Sigh.

This is going in circles. Maybe you should thoroughly read all the other posts about gender identity.
Sigh.

This is going in circles. Maybe you should thoroughly read all the other posts about gender identity.

I'm actually questioning what you said to me in particular, that the person in question "chooses".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending