The Student Room Group

Hoe to prepare for child nursing degree application?

Hi guys. I have an Access to HE taster day next month for the Health Professions pathway. But i really need some advice on which volunteering roles will look good when i apply to study Child Nursing later. I live around Hastings,East Sussex btw. Thanks! xx
Original post by topsygrl
Hi guys. I have an Access to HE taster day next month for the Health Professions pathway. But i really need some advice on which volunteering roles will look good when i apply to study Child Nursing later. I live around Hastings,East Sussex btw. Thanks! xx

Hello:smile: I m going to be doing mh nursing in september, however, for childrens i ve heard of people volunteering on wards, in nurseries,in school and any other volunteering roles that involve children and if you want to supplement that you can also do caring type experience old peoples homes and things like that.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Hello:smile: I m going to be doing mh nursing in september, however, for childrens i ve heard of people volunteering on wards, in nurseries,in school and any other volunteering roles that involve children and if you want to supplement that you can also do caring type experience old peoples homes and things like that.

Thanks for the reply claireestelle. Does he 'experience' have to be within a healthcare setting though? Thanks again:-)
Thanks for the reply claireestelle. Does he 'experience' have to be within a healthcare setting though? Thanks again:-)

it helps massively if you can get some, even if its just at a nursing home or something.

Nearly-qualified children's nurse here...

Claire is right. It does help massively if some of your experience is within a healthcare setting, even if this isn't with children directly, as this is particularly difficult to get for various reasons. However, universities tend to understand this, and therefore look more for the transferable skills obtained from other healthcare experience.

Volunteering with St John Ambulance can be good and local primary schools or nurseries will often take people to come and read with children, or volunteer in another capacity. So, although it's not experience with children in healthcare, you've still managed to get both, just not in the same setting :smile:

I'm originally from Eastbourne... Not sure if you drive or have access to transport, but I can imagine places like Chesnut Tree House Children's Hospice in Arundel or Demelza Children's Hospice may have some volunteering/work experience opportunities. Have a look on their websites and maybe give them a call. You wan't hands-on experience though. Even if it's doing some play therapy stuff with them, that'll be good. Generally it can be easier to get into places like these as there is less 'red tape' than in the NHS.

For more ideas, check out this page on the website I have made for people like yourself who are interested in nursing: https://getintonursinguk.wordpress.com/experience-ideas/

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any further questions!

Good luck
Joel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending