The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kamara7
YES!!! Everyone I spoke to has said this, I had to skip part of a question in F321 and I ended up not having enough time to come back to it. The analysis question at the end of F322 was a disaster for me, could you even read the IR spectrum they gave us? Apparently the big broad peak was two smaller ones joined together??? I don't know how I got an A at the end of that ordeal.

I find it's hard with the personal statement to just talk about yourself, without coming across as too big-headed or bland!

F321 had that stupid titration question. I thought F322 was fine up until that analysis question; I was seriously considering leaving it blank. Some year 13s said that broad peak was an overlap between alcohol -OH and carboxylic acid -OH. Whatever it was it wasn't nice. Apparently A2 chemistry papers weren't much nicer either! Have you started A2 work yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by victoria98
F321 had that stupid titration question. I thought F322 was fine up until that analysis question; I was seriously considering leaving it blank. Some year 13s said that broad peak was an overlap between alcohol -OH and carboxylic acid -OH. Whatever it was it wasn't nice. Apparently A2 chemistry papers weren't much nicer either! Have you started A2 work yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought I'd butt in to say i took F321/2/3/4/5/6 this year :P Got an A overall but was pooped I didn't get an A*!!!!!!!!! edit: I got a C at AS in year 12. Ask me questions about A2 if you like :smile:)))))))))))))))
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Notions
i thought i'd just butt in to say i took F321/2/3/4/5/6 this year :P A overall was pooped I didn't get an A*!!!!!!!!!

why did you retook all as papers?
Original post by lai812matthew
why did you retook all as papers?

i edited my message ^. I got a C at AS in year 12 so worked hard and was on for an A* by exam time. Got 81/90 in unit 4 but only 120/150 in unit 5 :'( :'(
Original post by Notions
i edited my message ^. I got a C at AS in year 12 so worked hard and was on for an A* by exam time. Got 81/90 in unit 4 but only 120/150 in unit 5 :'( :'(

got high marks for short unit but not long unit. same as me lol. 80/90 unit 1, 122/150 unit 2. screw the grade boundaries.
got high marks for short unit but not long unit. same as me lol. 80/90 unit 1, 122/150 unit 2. screw the grade boundaries.

That is really well done though! :smile: Now you just gotta aim to average 90 at A2 for A*. Quite a lot of A2 people retook unit 2 to guarantee an A incase an A2 exam was a disaster. (You might wana bear that in mind). I got 138 unit 2 second time round.

Or you can risk it and not retake anything! :P. I was aiming for A* in physics as well but only scraped an A because of one paper!!!! (i didn't retake anything o.o)

Science A* is hard in my opinion. :/ easily got a* in maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Notions
That is really well done though! :smile: Now you just gotta aim to average 90 at A2 for A*. Quite a lot of A2 people retook unit 2 to guarantee an A incase an A2 exam was a disaster. (You might wana bear that in mind). I got 138 unit 2 second time round.

Or you can risk it and not retake anything! :P. I was aiming for A* in physics as well but only scraped an A because of one paper!!!! (i didn't retake anything o.o)

Science A* is hard in my opinion. :/ easily got a* in maths.

Did you do OCR A Physics as well? G481 Mechanics, G482

And what did you differently to go from a C at AS to get close to an A*?
Original post by AverageGuy
Did you do OCR A Physics as well? G481 Mechanics, G482

And what did you differently to go from a C at AS to get close to an A*?

Yes OCR A Physics but I got a low A at AS. I then got a low A at A2 :P Didn't retake any physics.

In chemistry to get from C year 12 to close to A* year 13 I just sort of started again (by taking all six units in year 13) and completely applied myself. I underestimated how hard AS's would be after GCSEs. I did not apply to university in year 12 so got my head down to finish school with some really good grades.

It comes down to - you're capability of a lot if you apply yourself
Guys , anyone knows something about the math test that engineering applicants have to take ? :smile:
Original post by TheAEROguy
Guys , anyone knows something about the math test that engineering applicants have to take ? :smile:

STEP for aerospace engineering only i think.
Reply 210
Do i have any chance of getting in for Chemistry with French and a year in industry? I got 7A*'s and 6A's at GCSE but got AAAB this year. The A's were in Bio,Maths and French but the B was in Chem. This was extremely surprising as i was expecting an A :// I might retake unit 1 to bump that up to an A overall, idk. But Imperial ask for A*AA with the A* in either Maths or Chem. If i got predicted A* (in maths), A (in chem) and A (in French). Would i still have a reasonable chance. I've been to an Imperial summer-school and taster day for chem (if that helps). I need advice because I'm distraught atm.
GCSE 1a* 6a 2B
AS aaaa - maths biology chemistry physics (will not doing further maths hold me back)
A2 math bio chem physics hopefully 4A* :smile:
Reply 212
Original post by Hydeman
Applying to medicine at Imperial in a few weeks' time. I'm a post-A2 applicant so I'm applying with achieved grades of A*AAB. As long as the BMAT and interview go well, I should be okay...

Would you be ok to say which alevels you took?
Original post by xnivix
Would you be ok to say which alevels you took?

Chemistry (A*), Biology (A), Physics (A), and Mathematics (B). :smile:

Which ones did you take?
Reply 214
Original post by Hydeman
Chemistry (A*), Biology (A), Physics (A), and Mathematics (B). :smile:

Which ones did you take?

Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further maths but my sixth form has said I wont be able to make it for medicine in imperial as f.maths isn't a written subject. Is this true?
Original post by n2697
Do i have any chance of getting in for Chemistry with French and a year in industry? I got 7A*'s and 6A's at GCSE but got AAAB this year. The A's were in Bio,Maths and French but the B was in Chem. This was extremely surprising as i was expecting an A :// I might retake unit 1 to bump that up to an A overall, idk. But Imperial ask for A*AA with the A* in either Maths or Chem. If i got predicted A* (in maths), A (in chem) and A (in French). Would i still have a reasonable chance. I've been to an Imperial summer-school and taster day for chem (if that helps). I need advice because I'm distraught atm.

yes you got a chance.
Original post by xnivix
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further maths but my sixth form has said I wont be able to make it for medicine in imperial as f.maths isn't a written subject. Is this true?

Your Sixth Form are talking rubbish. :tongue: It is a bit risky to take Further Maths for Medicine as a fourth subject as not all Medical Schools accept Further Maths as a separate subject but Imperial do accept it.

If by a "written subject" your Sixth Form means that you need to have an essay subject to get into Medicine, that isn't true either. The only Medical School that gives a small preference to an essay subject is UCL. For the others (including Imperial), it doesn't matter.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xnivix

Have a read of this.....

http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/medicine
Original post by xnivix

I've checked Imperial's website and they don't say anything about Further Maths not being allowed. All they want is AAA at A-level plus a B in a fourth AS level if not taken to A2 and the As must include Chemistry and Biology so technically it doesn't even matter what the third and fourth subjects are. :smile:
Reply 219
yes you got a chance.

Ok thanks that makes me feel slightly better

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending