The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kilianbratsch
Thanks a lot for your really detailed answer ;-)
I was just wondering: since a lot of Imperial Engineering courses are so specialized, does this not risk "getting stuck" with something you might not want to end up spending your life doing?
How annoying and frustrating is the fact you cant be in the dorms in years 2-3 and have to travel much longer every day to get to classes?
How much free time do you have on average per week? (do you do Imperial Horizons or any other humanities classes?)
How bad are the tutorials really (some people I have talked to complained a lot because there are somtimes 5 students per tutor in the small groups or 16-18 in the bigger groups; do you feel you actually get something out of them?)?

Thanks ;-)

I know you didn't quote me but you posted a reply above with a different opinion to your previous post but to reply to your post here as well:
I don't do Engineering so I can't answer completely but many engineers go into non-engineering careers, whether that be consultancy, investment banking, actuarial services, teaching or anything else.
Free time depends on how much you work but engineers have a lot of coursework. People still find time to go out and chill or game, as is the case for many Imperial students...
I don't study Engineering so I can't comment on the tutorials.
In the last term of first year you generally start to look at houses with your friends. I would definitely not say that you would end up living 'much further'; most people I know are within 30-40 mins' walk/10-15 mins' cycle and aren't living further than last year. Popular locations are definitely Hammersmith and Fulham but if your price range allows it/you're good at house hunting then you can also live in High Street Kensington/Gloucester Road area. Other choices include Barons Court, Earl's Court, West Kensington and Bayswater.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Very Intersting and thank you ;-) But Imperial has so few girls at South kensignton campus (since medicine is not there)... but well I guess London has a lot of opportunities though. Furthermore UCL aint too far ^_^

Yeah in this case we are talking about London but Imperial hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Renewhj
Yeah in this case we are talking about London but Imperial hahah

Posted from TSR Mobile

The medics do live around South Ken mostly in first year because they get the same halls as everyone else and in first year, a lot of their time is spent in South Ken.

UCL is about a 30min Tube ride and there aren't really that many opportunities to link up with other London unis since we're not part of the UoL. However, some Societies do do joint events.
Original post by yl95
Ooh when's your interview?

19th of February. I think i won't attend the interview, because i have IELTS test on the folloeing day and i am going to Maths open day on 24th of February. Should i just ignore their email or how do you think i should explain adequately that i won't attend the interview? I know i don't have a chance of getting an offer without attending the interview.
I just got an email saying that they've added more places for biomedical science and that they will let me know by the end of the month. Anyone else received this email?
Original post by valentinafunaro
I just got an email saying that they've added more places for biomedical science and that they will let me know by the end of the month. Anyone else received this email?

me!! got that one yesterdayy.. aaahh! I'm scared :frown:
Original post by zenlatte
me!! got that one yesterdayy.. aaahh! I'm scared :frown:

Same.. I really hope its good news after all this waiting. My friend got rejected the other day so theyre obviously making their way through applications
Original post by s16
Hey :smile: I'm an EU Civil Eng applicant! I got an offer on Jan 14th, what about you??

Heey, congrats! I attended a recruitment day the other day, so just waiting now. I don't expect to hear back anytime soon though lol
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
19th of February. I think i won't attend the interview, because i have IELTS test on the folloeing day and i am going to Maths open day on 24th of February. Should i just ignore their email or how do you think i should explain adequately that i won't attend the interview? I know i don't have a chance of getting an offer without attending the interview.

Think you should tell them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everybody ;-) Ive got easy offer+presi scholarship for Civ Eng (received December 23d, early christmas present) and had MechEng interview on the 25th of January (they said 10 days but its been 11 so dunno if this means rejection, I thought the interview went really well and easy though...)
Im really having difficulties swallowing the Cambridge rejection (I was stupid to apply at King's College for engineering, 11 applicants per spot vs 4 per spot in some other colleges....) So ive been reading anything posiitve I can about Imperial since! Still hard to get over the love of Cambridge though I guess

If you could tell me more about why you prefer Imperial over Cam that would be amazing! Why is imperial better in any way?

Hi. Well done for getting an offer with scholarship for civil engineering. :smile: What are the grades of your offer? I think if they are one day late in responding it does not automatically mean rejection, as Imperial has a lot of applicants and it seems to take them a little while (had most of my offers from otherunis before I even got an interview invitation from Imperial). Is it civil or mechanical engineering that you prefer?

By the looks of things,the course at Imperial is far better for biomedical engineering. It is focused on biomedical engineering from the onset, instead of just third and fourth year specializations (this does not appear to be the case with civil/mechanical engineering as much, as that is more of Cambridge's focus area, but you are still going to get more depth in one specific area of engineering if you start by specializing in it rather than having two years general). The first two years of the Cambridge degree are good in the way that you have some background in the different engineering types, but as biomedical engineering is multidisciplinary anyway the Imperial course has modules in electrical and mechanical strands and is accredited for whichever one you specialize in. Modules can also be chosen from the different engineering disciplines.

Imperial has the best bioengineering department in the UK, and they have opportunities over the summer where you can actually take part in some research even in first year! There is also an opportunity to do a year in industry/sandwich degree which Cambridge does not have, all of which provides good experience which employers like. Imperial Horizons also seems useful for that, as you take part in projects/learn skills like entrepreneurship.

Honestly, for me it’s primarily the course. Other benefits: London is the best or one of the best student cities in the world based on rankings I’ve looked at, and I’m going to take a wild guess and say just about everything you could possibly want to do is in London in some form! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qweop2
Just got an offer for G100 MATHEMATICS !!! Yay!!!! OVER THE MOON!

A*A*A + 1,2 in step 2 and 3

Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking when you applied and if you took MAT
Original post by Magnesium
Same? :frown: The rest of the maths applicants at my school haven't heard back yet from Imperial bar 1.

Why are they taking so long T_T

At this point, I'm just having the whole "no news is good news" attitude plus even if I don't get Imperial, I'd be happy firming UCL
Original post by the-anonymous-me
At this point, I'm just having the whole "no news is good news" attitude plus even if I don't get Imperial, I'd be happy firming UCL

Have you applied for straight maths? If yes, what you got from mat(i assume you applied to Oxford as well)
Original post by Ramil Ahmadov
Have you applied for straight maths? If yes, what you got from mat(i assume you applied to Oxford as well)

I got 44 - I think, definitely something around that, I can't recall the exact number right now. I know it's not a great score so don't have much hope for Imperial - Didn't actually realise how much emphasis was placed on the MAT by Oxford before all of this so...anyways, do you know your MAT score and do you mind me asking which course you applied for?
Reply 5714
Original post by Renewhj
Congratulations! Do they send offers this late?

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was 10.16pm :biggrin:
Original post by qweop2
it was 10.16pm :biggrin:

Haha. Alright, I'm still waiting for the decision and it's been only 3 days after the interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, i'm applying for MEng Computing, still no interview though :frown: . If i got an offer, do people think it would be okay to change to the MEng JMC course? Currently taking maths, further maths, computing and chemistry for A2 with AAAB at AS respectively. (Strong A's too) Thanks!
Original post by freddster1018
Hi, i'm applying for MEng Computing, still no interview though :frown: . If i got an offer, do people think it would be okay to change to the MEng JMC course? Currently taking maths, further maths, computing and chemistry for A2 with AAAB at AS respectively. (Strong A's too) Thanks!

I went to the interview day. According to what they've said, you'd better let them know now because JMC course does require higher grades for admission. Also, the latest time to change between Computing and JMC is the first week of the first term. The best thing to do is to do it now cuz you've got plenty of time to consider it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by the-anonymous-me
I got 44 - I think, definitely something around that, I can't recall the exact number right now. I know it's not a great score so don't have much hope for Imperial - Didn't actually realise how much emphasis was placed on the MAT by Oxford before all of this so...anyways, do you know your MAT score and do you mind me asking which course you applied for?

If you were invited to an interview by Oxford university, then i believe you will get an offer!
I have emailed Corpus Christi two times, they said they will send me a feedback and MAT result, but they didn't. As a result i gave up. I have applied to straight Mathematics at Oxford and Mathematics with applied mathematics/mathematical physics at Imperial. I believe my MAT score was around 50.
since medicine is not there

Yes it is! Most of our time so far has been in South Ken, with occasional lectures in Charing Cross (well, not in Charing Cross but that's what it's called) and some clinical communication stuff elsewhere.

It will no doubt be different in later years though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending