The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Awesome I'm doing a levels, I did maths, further maths, physics and religious studies(which I'm gonna drop). And I know Python relatively well and a bit of java, I'm working on making a little game in python over the summer :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Applying for EEE, Got 3As in Maths, Further Maths and Computing but B in physics, I will be at a massive disadvantage?
How did everyone's results go. I'll be applying for chemEng. I got 4As in maths, physics, chemistry and further maths
Are a level predictions important for imperial? or do they not look at them too seriously?
Original post by Munrot07
Hey everyone!

I am a current Imperial College student so if anyone has any questions about Imperial or the application process feel free to ask. I am a member of the Life Sciences department so can help there in terms of the course itself but I can answer general questions about all of Imperial :smile:

How does the university feel about students who retook 2 full AS courses and want to do engineering
Same, do you know how they feel about resits?
Guys can you help me decide whether to apply for imperial for engineering/maths (undecided) or not. This is what i have to work with:

GCSE: 2 A* , 1 A , 4 B , 2 C
I know my gcse's are horrible but i got an A* for maths and science and a B for eng lang maybe this is acceptable?

As-level : Maths, further maths , chemistry, physics : A,A,A,B respectively ---> ( i was predicted C,B,C,C )
I want to take maths, further maths, and physics next year and hopefully get A*A*A or A*AA.

I do not want to waste one of my 5 choices on this if i have no chance so pls help. Thanks
Original post by AdiAidarus
Guys can you help me decide whether to apply for imperial for engineering/maths (undecided) or not. This is what i have to work with:

GCSE: 2 A* , 1 A , 4 B , 2 C
I know my gcse's are horrible but i got an A* for maths and science and a B for eng lang maybe this is acceptable?

As-level : Maths, further maths , chemistry, physics : A,A,A,B respectively ---> ( i was predicted C,B,C,C )
I want to take maths, further maths, and physics next year and hopefully get A*A*A or A*AA.

I do not want to waste one of my 5 choices on this if i have no chance so pls help. Thanks

First of all, well done on your grades! Massively exceeded your predictions; you should be very proud. I just did some research for you and under the maths entry requirements is this:

Although we do not require passes in specific subjects at GCSE level, we do expect candidates to have a broad education. This can be shown by passes in a suitable range of subjects at that level, and we would normally expect at least five of these to be at grade A or A*

Notice the 'normally'. With engineering, I guess it depends on what type you want to do which you haven't specified, but in general they don't seem to want anything beyond a pass in english language. They are a bit more specific when it comes to A Level maths modules etc. but it's all on their website for you to see. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
What AS grades are required to apply to imperial to study medicine?
Original post by TelevisedTadpole
Are a level predictions important for imperial? or do they not look at them too seriously?

They are important because the university will need to see that you have a good chance of achieving the grades needed for the course, and looking at predicted grades is one way of assessing this (along with your AS results).
Original post by Multiplication
What AS grades are required to apply to imperial to study medicine?

Look at their website.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/courses/school-of-medicine/medicine/
Original post by victoria98
First of all, well done on your grades! Massively exceeded your predictions; you should be very proud. I just did some research for you and under the maths entry requirements is this:

Although we do not require passes in specific subjects at GCSE level, we do expect candidates to have a broad education. This can be shown by passes in a suitable range of subjects at that level, and we would normally expect at least five of these to be at grade A or A*

Notice the 'normally'. With engineering, I guess it depends on what type you want to do which you haven't specified, but in general they don't seem to want anything beyond a pass in english language. They are a bit more specific when it comes to A Level maths modules etc. but it's all on their website for you to see. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you :smile: I am thinking of going into mechanical engineering which requies A*A*A. I should probably wait to see my A2 predictions first. UCL and Southampton are more realistic for me though (A*AA) so i may just apply there instead. I will do more research now to check other options. Thanks for your help! :h:
Hi,
I am thinking of applying to Imperial for Chemistry - do you know if people on this degree are enjoying it and despite their requirements (AAA), do you think I stand a chance if I get A*AA as Imperial are really hardcore with grades, right?

Also, if I don't move in (I only live 30 minutes away), do you think it will get too much without the social side?

Thanks
Original post by Munrot07
Hey everyone!

I am a current Imperial College student so if anyone has any questions about Imperial or the application process feel free to ask. I am a member of the Life Sciences department so can help there in terms of the course itself but I can answer general questions about all of Imperial :smile:

Hi,
I am thinking of applying to Imperial for Chemistry - do you know if people on this degree are enjoying it and despite their requirements (AAA), do you think I stand a chance if I get A*AA as Imperial are really hardcore with grades, right?

Also, if I don't move in (I only live 30 minutes away), do you think it will get too much without the social side?

Thanks
Original post by minjinoor
Hi,

Thanks

I also plan to apply for chemistry! I don't actually know any people studying the course so I can't tell you whether they enjoy it (I imagine they do.. haha) but I just wanted to let you know Imperial usually give an A*AA (With the A* in chemistry or maths) offer despite the AAA entry requirements. I think it even says so somewhere under the chemistry entry requirements. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Original post by victoria98
I also plan to apply for chemistry! I don't actually know any people studying the course so I can't tell you whether they enjoy it (I imagine they do.. haha) but I just wanted to let you know Imperial usually give an A*AA (With the A* in chemistry or maths) offer despite the AAA entry requirements. I think it even says so somewhere under the chemistry entry requirements. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you!!! I am actually stuck between Chemistry and Chemical Engineering so am thinking of applying for:

Imperial - Chemistry
UCL - Chemical Engineering
Surrey - Chemical Engineering
Kings College - Chemistry
not sure about 5th as I want to stay in London...
Hey. I don't know how you will structure your application but I just have a feeling it will be quite tight. Noting that in the UK, as opposed to the US, you can only write one personal statement, you will need to show a passion for both subjects. And note that chemical engineering is not necessarily engineering and chemistry but as many have said it is heavily mathsy and physicsy. So you have to make sure you give a hack of a personal statement that will be attractive to professors of both chemEng and chemistry. May all go well with you and your application though
Original post by Heisenberg___
Hey

I've just finished studying AS maths, chemistry, biology and physics. I hope to study MSci Chemistry at Imperial College.

I'm hoping to study Chemistry here as well :smile: I just did maths, chemistry, biology and psychology. Loving that username btw :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by minjinoor
Thank you!!! I am actually stuck between Chemistry and Chemical Engineering so am thinking of applying for:

Imperial - Chemistry
UCL - Chemical Engineering
Surrey - Chemical Engineering
Kings College - Chemistry
not sure about 5th as I want to stay in London...

Maybe Chemistry at Queen Mary as a 5th?
Hi. I wanted to apply for medicine at imperial but for my as levels I got AAbb with the bs in biology and chemistry. Do I stand a chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending