The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College Applicants 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by minjinoor
Hi,
I am thinking of applying to Imperial for Chemistry - do you know if people on this degree are enjoying it and despite their requirements (AAA), do you think I stand a chance if I get A*AA as Imperial are really hardcore with grades, right?

Also, if I don't move in (I only live 30 minutes away), do you think it will get too much without the social side?

Thanks

If you get A*AA you should be fine :smile: If you have a great personal statement and some good work experience you should be fine :smile:

In terms of the social stuff if you make sure you get involved that you will be fine. Join some societies, make friends, go to activities etc. and you will then have a great social life and it wont be a problem. I have a friend who lived at home and she made loads of friends and had a great time.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 61
Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying to imperial, but have got a slight problem. I have a C in English Language and they require a B. At AS I did manage to achieve all A's.
UMS: Physics - 265/300
Chemistry - 272/300
Further Maths - 287/300
Maths - 299/300
I'm applying for mechanical engineering, do you think they will reconsider me based on my AS results and my subject choices?
Original post by Dhalham
Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying to imperial, but have got a slight problem. I have a C in English Language and they require a B. At AS I did manage to achieve all A's.
Chemistry - 272/300
Further Maths - 287/300
Maths - 299/300
I'm applying for mechanical engineering, do you think they will reconsider me based on my AS results and my subject choices?

You'll have to retake English Language I reckon as a part of your grade requirement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by Dhalham
Chemistry - 272/300
Further Maths - 287/300
Maths - 299/300

They are really quite strict on the B for English requirement. You will have to do something about that. Nice maths UMS btw.
Reply 64
Original post by bwr19
They are really quite strict on the B for English requirement. You will have to do something about that. Nice maths UMS btw.

Thanks, will they accept IELTS or is it strictly english language?
Original post by Milkbottle64
Hi. I wanted to apply for medicine at imperial but for my as levels I got AAbb with the bs in biology and chemistry. Do I stand a chance?

As long as you're predicted at least AAA next year then yes, you will have a chance. For Medicine, the BMAT plays a very important role in selection.
Hello,

I got AAAB In Maths, F.Maths, Computing and Physics. (AS)

I want to apply for Computing, would it be better for me to drop Physics and go with the former 3? Cause i want to carry on Physics but i believe i could even achieve an A* in Computing and it will be real tough to get an A in Physics.

Also, does Imperial look at/care about overall % in subjects/modules?

In general, have i done well enough for a good chance?
Reply 67
Original post by Bobjim12
Hello,

I got AAAB In Maths, F.Maths, Computing and Physics. (AS)

I want to apply for Computing, would it be better for me to drop Physics and go with the former 3? Cause i want to carry on Physics but i believe i could even achieve an A* in Computing and it will be real tough to get an A in Physics.

Also, does Imperial look at/care about overall % in subjects/modules?

In general, have i done well enough for a good chance?

Well after computing, maths is the last thing you should drop. What was your UMS in all your subjects ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
Original post by Dhalham
Thanks, will they accept IELTS or is it strictly english language?

You'll have to check the website, but I think it's just a means-tested English language ability test. So you'd probably be okay with IELTS. Check the website first, though.
Reply 69
Original post by bwr19
You'll have to check the website, but I think it's just a means-tested English language ability test. So you'd probably be okay with IELTS. Check the website first, though.

Alright thanks
Applying to medicine at Imperial in a few weeks' time. I'm a post-A2 applicant so I'm applying with achieved grades of A*AAB. As long as the BMAT and interview go well, I should be okay...
Original post by Dhalham
Well after computing, maths is the last thing you should drop. What was your UMS in all your subjects ?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Maths 90
Computing 93
F.Maths 82
Physics 73
Reply 72
Maths 90
Computing 93
F.Maths 82
Physics 73

Your maths and computing are pretty high. I think it depends on what you are predicted. You will probably get maths and computing predicted A*, but if you could try and get further maths predicted A*, then I reckon you have a decent chance. All physics would need to be an A.
Original post by Dhalham
Your maths and computing are pretty high. I think it depends on what you are predicted. You will probably get maths and computing predicted A*, but if you could try and get further maths predicted A*, then I reckon you have a decent chance. All physics would need to be an A.

Do i need to have 3 subjects predicted A* when the offer only includes one? Or is this to make up for the B?
Reply 74
Do i need to have 3 subjects predicted A* when the offer only includes one? Or is this to make up for the B?

Well you wouldnt need 3A* predicted, but I would guess 3 would give you a good chance of at least an interview. I might be wrong, I'm applying this year just like you, these are just my guesses. I'll be applying to imperial for mechanical engineering.
Original post by Dhalham
Well you wouldnt need 3A* predicted, but I would guess 3 would give you a good chance of at least an interview. I might be wrong, I'm applying this year just like you, these are just my guesses. I'll be applying to imperial for mechanical engineering.

Ah see what you mean yes. Thankyou,
Reply 76
Ah see what you mean yes. Thankyou,

No problem, good luck.
Original post by Dhalham
No problem, good luck.

You too
Is it worth applying for physics without further maths (my school offered it but stupidly I didn't do it)? I got 273/300 in AS maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wondering what some criteria are to decide how good of a chance someone has to get in ? Deciding whether to apply :s-smilie: (physics btw)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending