The Student Room Group

GCSE to A-level - Would I be 'cut out' to do it?

Here I've listed A-levels that I am thinking about doing, but I have to ask do you think I'll be able to complete the A-level with a high grade.

Background info - I'm averagely smart (I say to myself). I can only get up to a C in core subjects like English and Maths but nothing higher. Science in year 10 I got a B, but with additional science this year I feel as if I got an A. For all my subjects I've chosen, they range from B-A*. In order of highest result (estimate) Business, ICT, D&T Graphic Products and Art. I can't draw and my handwriting is a mess. When I say it's a mess, I really mean it. I don't mean like someone who was 'rushing' and says it's a 'mess' but its perfectly readable, I mean that I have to type in my essay style exams because I can't write proper at all.

A-levels

Chemistry - I've heard it's hard as there is so much to know.
Biology -I take a vivid interest into biology and would do biology, but there wouldn't be a point without chemistry.
Business - Will be one of the easiest options for me, however it concludes essay writing.
ICT - Another easiest option for me.
Psychology - I would love to do it as if I fail a science, this could bring me back up to get into the science degree at university.
Film studies - I take a major interest into film, but again it's more english based essay style exam, and I have poor grammar (as you can see). I don't like the fact that I have to film and create a video for coursework.
Media studies - Similar reason to film studies.
Graphic Design - I can't draw but have self taught myself how to use some features on Photoshop.

What do you think my best options are?
Doubt you will be allowed to do Psychology with a C grade in English, you will probably need a B minimum

Chemistry is REALLY difficult, but I think Biology is ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
What do you want to do after A Levels? It may feel a bit early, but what you take at A Level could limit what you can do a degree in. I see your interested in science, so if you're thinking of a science based degree you pretty much half to do 2/3 of the core sciences.

I'm more of a essay based/creative person myself, but I have friends who do/have done Bio/Chem and found it incredibly difficult. I think they're subjects you have to be good at, enjoy and have full commitment to in order to be successful. You seem to be on track for good grades so I don't see any reason why you shouldn't take them.

Psychology is quite science based, but there's a lot of content to learn that might take away from your focus on Bio/Chem should you take them. I don't do Psychology, but I've seen what you would learn and it's pretty interesting.

I've just finished Media Studies (best decision of my life) because although the practical making of stuff is long, tedious and frustrating, it's not that difficult to do well in it. You said you've taught yourself how to use photoshop - you're already half way there. I had no experience, just followed the brief and got an A in both my AS and A2 coursework. The essays aren't too bad, if your on my exam board (OCR) in the first year you watch a video clip and talk about 'what you see' with media language then write an essay on the film/video game industry, then in A2 an evaluation of your work/progression and an essay on film/video game regulation.

I would say take Bio, Chem, ICT/Business and Media then drop one after the first year.

Look at past papers and see if what they're asking is of any interest to you - there's nothing worse than being stuck in a class you don't enjoy for a year.
Reply 3
Original post by KingAuthor
Here I've listed A-levels that I am thinking about doing, but I have to ask do you think I'll be able to complete the A-level with a high grade.

Background info - I'm averagely smart (I say to myself). I can only get up to a C in core subjects like English and Maths but nothing higher. Science in year 10 I got a B, but with additional science this year I feel as if I got an A. For all my subjects I've chosen, they range from B-A*. In order of highest result (estimate) Business, ICT, D&T Graphic Products and Art. I can't draw and my handwriting is a mess. When I say it's a mess, I really mean it. I don't mean like someone who was 'rushing' and says it's a 'mess' but its perfectly readable, I mean that I have to type in my essay style exams because I can't write proper at all.

A-levels

Chemistry - I've heard it's hard as there is so much to know.
Biology -I take a vivid interest into biology and would do biology, but there wouldn't be a point without chemistry.
Business - Will be one of the easiest options for me, however it concludes essay writing.
ICT - Another easiest option for me.
Psychology - I would love to do it as if I fail a science, this could bring me back up to get into the science degree at university.
Film studies - I take a major interest into film, but again it's more english based essay style exam, and I have poor grammar (as you can see). I don't like the fact that I have to film and create a video for coursework.
Media studies - Similar reason to film studies.
Graphic Design - I can't draw but have self taught myself how to use some features on Photoshop.

What do you think my best options are?

Geology is a great subject if you can do it at your coll. Not much writting and very interesting and considered a sort of science same as psycology. I would def go with ict and biol but chem is a hard subject. Psycology they ask for a B in both eng and maths at my coll.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies and the college just wants the college entry for psychology (3 Cs and 3Bs) which I will get

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest