The Student Room Group

Amblyopia (lazy eye) can it be corrected?

I know what all the medical information says but is there any exercises to help improve this condition? I count my self lucky I have 6/5 vision in my right eye but my left is 6/9, I need to try and correct it to 6/6 before the summer if possible.

I found that keeping the right eye closed and reading using my glasses for 45 minutes a day helped abit. Any other ideas? BTW cant have corrective procedures for it.
Reply 1
Not much-if any-will happen to it after the age of 7.That's why early treatment makes a massive difference.
Reply 2
If found young then yes, definitely can have a big difference. If found later on...the success rate is considerably lower. First of all try goign to the opticians and asking their advice, then try simply wearing a patch for as much of the day as you can stand, when youre reading, writing, watching tv. Its prob not going to make much of a difference, but youve nothing to lose!
Reply 3
Really is a problem that's best treated young.
Go to your opticians and ask their advice but doubt much can be done tbh.
GritChimpMk1
I know what all the medical information says but is there any exercises to help improve this condition? I count my self lucky I have 6/5 vision in my right eye but my left is 6/9, I need to try and correct it to 6/6 before the summer if possible.

I found that keeping the right eye closed and reading using my glasses for 45 minutes a day helped abit. Any other ideas? BTW cant have corrective procedures for it.

As far as I know not much can be done other than wearing glasses and what not - thats why the gives kids patches to wear to strengthen their 'lazy eye' unfortunately for me that method didn't work and made mine worse ;yes; so go to your optician and as for a professional opinion on the matter and personally I highly doubt it'll be corrected by the summer.
Reply 5
i got exercises to do from the opticians, but they were really boring so i didnt do them. my eyes have only got bad over the past 5 years or so tho (i'm 18 now). why do you need 6/6 vision??

i wear glasses now with a base 3 prism in my right eye to correct it, which helps loads. i discovered yesterday that my uncorrected visual acuity is 6/8 in both eyes, whilst corrected is 6/5.

only found it out cos i'm applying for air traffic control. my optician said i would have no probs with that tho. something tells me you're planning on joining the RAF to be a pilot?? but that would just be my guess
Reply 6
Azzle
only found it out cos i'm applying for air traffic control. my optician said i would have no probs with that tho. something tells me you're planning on joining the RAF to be a pilot?? but that would just be my guess

Not quite pilot with the RAF, considering WSO or WSOp (Crewman) at the moment or perhaps Army Air Corps officer.

cheers for the advice so far. Sounds daft but I can see better now then before, guess I'll keep giving it ago.

GCMK1

Latest

Trending

Trending