The Student Room Group

BSc Applied Accounting - Oxford Brookes

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RichyLuckG
How do you quantify not enough? Is PWC is the only employer around? Let me tell you, before you have completed ACCA, you will have a different outlook. A degree is a degree and again, Oxford Brookes University would not have participated in such an alliance if it were going to be discredited by doing so.

Again you didn't answer my question, I gave pwc as an example of a gradscheme. No gradscheme will accept this degree because grad schemes expect students not to have become part qualified, ie obtained this degree. If you say you have got this degree and apply for a gradscheme you will be rejected, as grad schemes state if you started another qualification you'll be ineligible to apply, something which you do when obtaining this degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by daindian
Again you didn't answer my question, I gave pwc as an example of a gradscheme. No gradscheme will accept this degree because grad schemes expect students not to have become part qualified, ie obtained this degree. If you say you have got this degree and apply for a gradscheme you will be rejected, as grad schemes state if you started another qualification you'll be ineligible to apply, something which you do when obtaining this degree.

The point is surely to get the degree while qualifying... why would you apply to a grad scheme if you've already qualified?
Reply 22
Original post by M1011
The point is surely to get the degree while qualifying... why would you apply to a grad scheme if you've already qualified?

No to qualify you need the 3 years experience which you get with a gradscheme plus they fund your studying . Look at it this way normal acc+fin graduate can apply to grad jobs and part qualified jobs. Applied accounting can apply to just part qualified ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
No to qualify you need the 3 years experience which you get with a gradscheme plus they fund your studying . Look at it this way normal acc+fin graduate can apply to grad jobs and part qualified jobs. Applied accounting can apply to just part qualified ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point of this is surely for school leavers to get a degree whilst on a training scheme.

Nobody is going to sit all the exams for the ACCA and then join a graduate scheme... that's just silly. You get a training contract and do the BSc in your evenings. I'm not saying it's a brilliant degree, but I don't know why you're so against it?
Reply 24
Original post by M1011
The point of this is surely for school leavers to get a degree whilst on a training scheme.

Nobody is going to sit all the exams for the ACCA and then join a graduate scheme... that's just silly. You get a training contract and do the BSc in your evenings. I'm not saying it's a brilliant degree, but I don't know why you're so against it?

All the school leaver programmes I've seen with a training contract are for aca not acca. If you can find a school leavers training contract with ACCA ill change my mind... I didn't mean all papers I meant the first 9 the minimum for that degree and the maximum exemption for a normal degree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
All the school leaver programmes I've seen with a training contract are for aca not acca. If you can find a school leavers training contract with ACCA ill change my mind... I didn't mean all papers I meant the first 9 the minimum for that degree and the maximum exemption for a normal degree

Posted from TSR Mobile

Industry. Apprenticeships. ACCA training.
Reply 26
Original post by Barny
Anybody who knows anything about degrees knows its not the best degree you can get, its just a chance to stick some letters after your name for those who didn't go to Uni.

With regards to top 10 accountancy firms - you do realise there is a big shortage of qualified accountants and accountants of a good calibre in this country? With just AAT/ACCA you could easily get into a big 4 firm - you don't need to bother with the degree for that.

Must be joking ! UK is flooded with qualified accountants.
Reply 27
Original post by Purple
I noticed on the ACCA website that once you have done certain exams you can submit a project and be awarded a BSc in Applied Accounting from Oxford Brookes and I was just wondering:

1. Anyone currently doing the ACCA plan on submitting the project?

2. How respected would the degree be? After doing the AAT and ACCA with a small firm, 2 A levels and that degree would I be able to get a position with a top 10 accounting firm or is it not good enough?

Hiya,

Just so you know to get into a Big 4 firm you need to have done 3 A levels, whether you go through a graduate scheme or school leaver, and UCAS points wise this generally has to be between 280 and 320 points (BBC-ABB)
Reply 28
Discredit it all you want, if it weren't a good degree, it would not survive for over eleven years!
Reply 29
my colleague at PwC studied this degree and got employed as a graduate, still deciding whether to exam or time convert to ACA
Reply 30
U no u can do the f papers as evening classes at South Bank uni but it's internally assessed so u get to do coursework etc
Reply 31
Original post by Barny
Anybody who knows anything about degrees knows its not the best degree you can get, its just a chance to stick some letters after your name for those who didn't go to Uni.

With regards to top 10 accountancy firms - you do realise there is a big shortage of qualified accountants and accountants of a good calibre in this country? With just AAT/ACCA you could easily get into a big 4 firm - you don't need to bother with the degree for that.

This.

I actually clicked on this thread just to say that you don't need a degree to do accounting.
hi richy.. i am currently doing acca and planning for bsc degree when i become eligible for it and i wanted to ask that after completing acca and achieving bsc degree what will be my value if i wanted to go for maters in australia??? ur help will be appericiated...
Original post by RichyLuckG
Sounds as if you dont know which side to be on, so you are trying to satisfy both sides. Truly laughable!!!

HI richy.. i wanted to ask that thiz bsc degree from OB uni is valued in australia if i go for maters in australia??? will they accept my bsc from OB uni??? your help will be apperciated...
Reply 34
Original post by hareshkumar
hi richy.. i am currently doing acca and planning for bsc degree when i become eligible for it and i wanted to ask that after completing acca and achieving bsc degree what will be my value if i wanted to go for maters in australia??? ur help will be appericiated...

Firstly this thread is 2 years old.

Secondly reading back, "Richy" was clearly an idiot who knew nothing at all.
Original post by M1011
Firstly this thread is 2 years old.

Secondly reading back, "Richy" was clearly an idiot who knew nothing at all.

you can also answer my question..
Reply 36
For those of us who either couldn't get top grades at college or couldn't afford to go to University straight off. The OBU degree is a god send. I'm doing the ACCA with degree option. I however do not intend to try and work for one of the big 4. I wish to further mg career in transport. So this is ideal. Also why bother going to Uni and coming out with three times the amount of debt, when you can do this course and come out with what is effectively the same thing? Employers don't hire flash degrees, they hire people who can further the organisations objectives in an effective manner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending