The Student Room Group

Grammatical English Rules: When to use 'Who' vs. 'Whom'

We're always getting this wrong on TSR! Also had a friend ask me to explain it so figured I'd make a thread in case it's helpful to others too :h:

According to Oxford English Dictionaries: "who should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while whom should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition", but a handy basic/less abstract way to think of it is this:

You take a phrase (1), imagine using either he/she or him/her (whichever makes grammatical sense) in an alternative phrase that is otherwise effectively the same, instead of who or whom (2), and then determine which to use accordingly (colour code indicates which to use) (3) e.g.

Example A:

1) Your phrase:
My friend Hannah, wh.. has finally met the man of her dreams

2) Imagine:
My friend Hannah, she finally met the man of her dreams*

3) Determination:
The correct word to use is therefore who

Example B:

1) Your phrase:
My friend Hannah, for wh.. finally meeting the man of her dreams was wonderful

2) Imagine:
My friend Hannah, for her finally meeting the man of her dreams was wonderful*

3) Determination:
The correct word to use is therefore whom
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
We're always getting this wrong on TSR (myself included)! Also had a friend ask me to explain it so figured I'd make a thread in case it's helpful to others too :h:

According to Oxford English Dictionaries: "who should be used in the subject position in a sentence, while whom should be used in the object position, and also after a preposition", but a handy basic/less abstract way to think of it is this:

You take a phrase (1), imagine using either he/she or him/her (whichever makes grammatical sense) in an alternative phrase that is otherwise effectively the same, instead of who or whom (2), and then determine which to use accordingly (colour code indicates which to use) (3) e.g.

Example A:

1) Your phrase:

2) Imagine:

3) Determination:

Example B:

1) Your phrase:

2) Imagine:

3) Determination:

Makes perfect sense and concise and desperately true information,thank you habibti :mmm:
Well this was a lot simpler than I thought, feel pretty stupid for not knowing this now :tongue:
Original post by localblackguy
Well this was a lot simpler than I thought, feel pretty stupid for not knowing this now :tongue:

Me too!
thank youm.
Original post by Foo.mp3
The girl who thanked me in the above post is most welcome, for it is she for whom the post was primarily intended :top2:

:h:
Reply 6
Why do I love such rules so damn much? I'm such a nerd!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
To whom this may concern: Happy days are here again :h:

I don't know about you but I'm certainly not happy. What's there to be happy about?
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
A nerd who tends toward conformity, by the sound of it :innocent:

People who adhere to conformity are those whom I hate the most :innocent:

(How did you even reach that conclusion? :P)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Fresh understanding, as per a fair few of those those who have perused this thread :gah:

Oh definitely. Thank you
Reply 10
Original post by Foo.mp3
Hate is a strong word :erm:

To whom it might concern, whosoever considers "hate" a strong word should probably stay away from me :h:

Original post by Foo.mp3
I associate those who worship rules/orderly systems with those for whom conformism is natural.

Not my fault - blame that on the pedantic nature of classical languages.

Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm simple like that :u:

I know, and it's what I like the most about you :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
You're welcome, and blessed art thou, one whom Jesus loves :jebus:

I've truly been blessed since the age of 21. Whoever accepts Jesus into their hearts has nothing to lose but everything to gain :h:
Original post by Foo.mp3
We're always getting this wrong on TSR! Also had a friend ask me to explain it so figured I'd make a thread in case it's helpful to others too :h:

Example A:

1) Your phrase:

2) Imagine:

3) Determination:

Example B:

1) Your phrase:

2) Imagine:

3) Determination:

English grammar is confusing. Is Hannah your friend or some random example?
Original post by queen-bee
Makes perfect sense and concise and desperately true information,thank you habibti :mmm:

Hey :smile: you still haven't gotten back to me by PM about the Syrian charity events this Ramadan,are you interested? I hope you Ramadan is going well :smile: Where in Syria are you from?
Foo.mp3
whom is

Well, I'm done.
The syntax is more interesting than knowing the declensions.
Is it possible if you could make another thread but for the words 'which' and 'that'. I often use them interchangeably.
Reply 17
Original post by flibber
Is it possible if you could make another thread but for the words 'which' and 'that'. I often use them interchangeably.

The easiest way to differentiate between the two is this, imo:

Which: Used when the information introduced (with which) is helpful but not necessary. This means that one can fully understand what your sentence means without the details provided by which (it's called non-restrictive clause). Eg. The books, which have red pages, have been very helpful - the which clause adds extra information, which is not really necessary for the person you're talking to.

That: Used when the information introduced is necessary - called restrictive clause. Eg. The books that have red pages have been very helpful - the information is required, as it specifies that only books with red pages have been helpful (hence why it's called restrictive).

Got it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
The easiest way to differentiate between the two is this, imo:
Which: Used when the information introduced (with which) is helpful but not necessary. This means that one can fully understand what your sentence means without the details provides by which (it's called non-restrictive clause). Eg. The books, which have red pages, have been very helpful - the which clause adds extra information, which is not really necessary for the person you're talking to.
That: Used when the information introduced is necessary - called restrictive clause. Eg. The books that have red pages have been very helpful - the information is required, as it specifies that only books with red pages have been helpful (hence why it's called restrictive).
Got it?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
Hannah was my friend, yes. If she wishes to be again then it is she who should honour me by demonstrating complete candour/honesty.. :hmmm:

She's a girl on here? And why did you chuckle at my latest post?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending