The Student Room Group

How to write a personal profile for a CV?

I don't know what to put in my profile? My dad said to write about ''people skills'' and such, but I have done that in the Hobbies and Interests section.

How do I present myself - are they after ''cliches'' and buzz-words?
Can I ask you what kind of job you're thinking of applying for?
Original post by Alba2013
Can I ask you what kind of job you're thinking of applying for?

I'm trying to apply for a job in a decorations shop in my town, and possibly as a waitress/pot-washer at various cafes and restaurants.
You can use things like excellent customer service skills, teamwork, communication skills, following instructions, self motivation, reliability, own initiative, upselling, punctuality, fast learning, trustworthy and enthusiastic.

You could use "hard working" too but every cv already has that, try to be imaginative.

When you've come up with something you could pm it to me if you want some feedback, that's up to you.

Hope your job hunting goes well :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, this is my CV. The job is part time as a kitchen porter at a local pub. One problem is that I can't work the 7th July - 14th July and the 8th August. Do I put this in my CV (allows them to straight away instead of the interview and wasting everyones time.) or tell them in the interview.
This is the job description:
The Pelham Arms in Lewes is looking for a part time kitchen porter.
Duties include washing up, cleaning, vegetable preparation maintaining health and hygiene standards.
You must be able to work evenings and weekends. We have about 3-4 shifts per week needing cover, up to 20 hours normally.
This is a physical job and you must be able to keep up during a busy service. Reliability is a must.
We offer good rates of pay, a fair share of tips and a free meal when working over six hours.
Own transport is an advantage if you live outside Lewes.
Please email your CV using the online form.
Original post by Alba2013
You can use things like excellent customer service skills, teamwork, communication skills, following instructions, self motivation, reliability, own initiative, upselling, punctuality, fast learning, trustworthy and enthusiastic.

You could use "hard working" too but every cv already has that, try to be imaginative.

When you've come up with something you could pm it to me if you want some feedback, that's up to you.

Hope your job hunting goes well :smile:

Thank you so much ^-^!! So it's not cliches, but more concise descriptions~ I guess I can do that XD Thank you again!!
Original post by 3ddiet
Hey, this is my CV. The job is part time as a kitchen porter at a local pub. One problem is that I can't work the 7th July - 14th July and the 8th August. Do I put this in my CV (allows them to straight away instead of the interview and wasting everyones time.) or tell them in the interview.
This is the job description:
The Pelham Arms in Lewes is looking for a part time kitchen porter.
Duties include washing up, cleaning, vegetable preparation maintaining health and hygiene standards.
You must be able to work evenings and weekends. We have about 3-4 shifts per week needing cover, up to 20 hours normally.
This is a physical job and you must be able to keep up during a busy service. Reliability is a must.
We offer good rates of pay, a fair share of tips and a free meal when working over six hours.
Own transport is an advantage if you live outside Lewes.
Please email your CV using the online form.

I honestly can't help, but I think perhaps leave it for the interview - if you get one then they're obviously impressed, so it's better to secure their idea of you before you tell them the issues than to prevent yourself from getting the job immediately.
Original post by Tessa Moltres
I don't know what to put in my profile? My dad said to write about ''people skills'' and such, but I have done that in the Hobbies and Interests section.

How do I present myself - are they after ''cliches'' and buzz-words?

All people ever put in are cliches and buzzwords, that's why employers never read them. Opening profiles in CVs were invented by charlatans like Connexions to save their 'advisors' time and effort. Employers never read them, except for a giggle sometimes, and they have no place in a CV unless/until you have a career of some significant length where the 2 sides of A4 is so rich and complex that a summary of a summary (because a CV is already a summary) is useful
Original post by J-SP

All good reasons, but why aren't you writing a covering letter? The discursive style gives a valuable opportunity to explain motivations and to show more personality that the more clipped, evidence based format of a CV.

The covering letter gives an employer a much more personal communication, where the energy and style of the writer can come across. The two documents should be seen as two halves of a whole application, regardless of the level of the job.

For the majority of TSRians, with limited work/professional experience, they are almost universally just painful chunks of over, confident management-ese twaddle that set the reader off on totally the wrong frame of mind and waste valuable space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending