The Student Room Group

Self harm scars, summer and university!

So, I used to self harm, I have now been clean for over a year but I still have white marks all over my left forearm, I am not ashamed but I am conscious.
I am due to go to Greece with a group of 15 friends, although most of them know, they haven't necessarily seen them, also there will be a lot of strangers :frown:
This is making me very anxious, has anyone got any tips?
Also I am going to university in a few months and I'm concerned about sharing a flat and what people will think of me because of my scars :frown:
Original post by killmekoalabear
So, I used to self harm, I have now been clean for over a year but I still have white marks all over my left forearm, I am not ashamed but I am conscious.
I am due to go to Greece with a group of 15 friends, although most of them know, they haven't necessarily seen them, also there will be a lot of strangers :frown:
This is making me very anxious, has anyone got any tips?
Also I am going to university in a few months and I'm concerned about sharing a flat and what people will think of me because of my scars :frown:

First of all well done for staying clean for over a year. I wouldnt worry too much as if people judge you for your scars their not worth your time anyway.
Have you tried something like bio oil or maybe using a moisturiser on your scars it could help them fade a little.
Yeah I mean I use this vitamin e oil scrub which helps and bio oil, but are people likely to say something do you think?
Reply 3
This might sound really stupid, but I'm a guy so give me leeway lmao.

Could you not use foundation/concealer/something similar on your arms to make them way less visible? Oh god I probably sound thick rn.
Original post by Inexorably
This might sound really stupid, but I'm a guy so give me leeway lmao.

Could you not use foundation/concealer/something similar on your arms to make them way less visible? Oh god I probably sound thick rn.

It wouldn't cover them. And your arm isn't like your face where you can just not touch your face to make your make up long lasting. Like even if you just sit down at a table, you put your arms on the table, it gets smeared... you do the dishes, it gets smeared...you cross your arms, it gets on your shirt etc. and especially since she is going to Greece and will probably get in the water, etc.... yeah, it isnt very feasable lol

Honestly OP, I would not worry about it, it is probably way less visible than you think it is if they are white already. obviously they are very visible to you but others will not be looking at your arms constantly. Think about how often do you actually stare at people's arms? Its just not something you look at very much. If someone spots it, it doesnt matter because if they are strangers, you dont know them anyway, and if they're your friends they wouldnt care and would be nothing but supportive! And if they arent, you wouldnt want to be friends with those kinds of people anyway... but trust me its all in your head.
Original post by driftawaay
It wouldn't cover them. And your arm isn't like your face where you can just not touch your face to make your make up long lasting. Like even if you just sit down at a table, you put your arms on the table, it gets smeared... you do the dishes, it gets smeared...you cross your arms, it gets on your shirt etc. and especially since she is going to Greece and will probably get in the water, etc.... yeah, it isnt very feasable lol

Honestly OP, I would not worry about it, it is probably way less visible than you think it is if they are white already. obviously they are very visible to you but others will not be looking at your arms constantly. Think about how often do you actually stare at people's arms? Its just not something you look at very much. If someone spots it, it doesnt matter because if they are strangers, you dont know them anyway, and if they're your friends they wouldnt care and would be nothing but supportive! And if they arent, you wouldnt want to be friends with those kinds of people anyway... but trust me its all in your head.

Thank you very much:smile: I do have some stage makeup which is meant to cover tattoo's etc but it takes so long and isn't that great! Don't worry you don't sound stupid!

Yeah I guess I mean I jsut want to be able to relax, after the first few days if it is okay then it will be a lot easier I guess, thank you
Reply 6
Original post by driftawaay

Woops, clearly didn't think it through enough haha. Thanks for clarifying :smile:
Original post by killmekoalabear
Yeah I mean I use this vitamin e oil scrub which helps and bio oil, but are people likely to say something do you think?

i dont think anyone will say anything at all to be honest
If you don't make a big deal about it probably no one will even notice

Quick Reply

Latest