The Student Room Group

Crossfit in the UK? How is it?

So basically I'm not too happy with my term time gym. It's busy basically anytime you go and also unpredictable, one day at 8am may be dead (relatively) the next week same time much busier.

Only two squat racks, often being used. And only one bench. Basically, free weights was utterly neglected compared to the cardio **** (that barely seems to be used when I'm there at least).

There is a crossfit in my city, I was wondering if it would be better for me to train there instead.

What is the general opinion on crossfit? And how does it work? Can you go to the gym whenever or does it only open when there are classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
So basically I'm not too happy with my term time gym. It's busy basically anytime you go and also unpredictable, one day at 8am may be dead (relatively) the next week same time much busier.

Only two squat racks, often being used. And only one bench. Basically, free weights was utterly neglected compared to the cardio **** (that barely seems to be used when I'm there at least).

There is a crossfit in my city, I was wondering if it would be better for me to train there instead.

What is the general opinion on crossfit? And how does it work? Can you go to the gym whenever or does it only open when there are classes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It gives girls really hot bodies but also carries a hight injury risk due to the ... well, due to very nature of what it involves. Things like high reps on the Olympic lifts and the mix and match approach to a variety of different sports, often with much poorer technique used in the sports themselves, is in fact unfortunately more risky than just doing the sport itself under proper supervision and coaching.

That said, Crossfit gyms are also usually extremely well kitted out for weightlifting and powerlifting needs, and an awful lot of people who are now in barbell sports got into them via Crossfit. If the gym will let you lift as you want and not force you to participate in Crossfit itself then it could be a very good bet. Lots of serious lifters utilise Crossfit gyms.
Original post by Smack
It gives girls really hot bodies but also carries a hight injury risk due to the ... well, due to very nature of what it involves. Things like high reps on the Olympic lifts and the mix and match approach to a variety of different sports, often with much poorer technique used in the sports themselves, is in fact unfortunately more risky than just doing the sport itself under proper supervision and coaching.

That said, Crossfit gyms are also usually extremely well kitted out for weightlifting and powerlifting needs, and an awful lot of people who are now in barbell sports got into them via Crossfit. If the gym will let you lift as you want and not force you to participate in Crossfit itself then it could be a very good bet. Lots of serious lifters utilise Crossfit gyms.

So if it is for crossfit participants only, nay.

If it is for anyone who wants to use it, yay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So if it is for crossfit participants only, nay.

If it is for anyone who wants to use it, yay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, unless you want to do Crossfit.
Original post by Smack
Yes, unless you want to do Crossfit.

Is it really as injury prone as they say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It really depends where you are. CrossFit is kind of like martial arts, it depends on the gym rather than the system. The good thing about the UK is it's a smaller market so there are fewer people who don't have a clue and want to cash in.
Reply 6
I really hope CrossFit kicks off in the UK. I fell in love with the sport earlier this year watching back the 2014 Games. Rich Froning is someone I really aspire to and would love to compete in America when I'm older. Problem is that there aren't many gyms nearby, so at the moment I do Street Workout routines, which are great for improving bodyweight strength (muscle-ups, pistol squats, human flag etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most crossfit boxes (the ones I go to bar 1) have an open gym time where you can go train and then they run the sessions throughout the day at different times. The session will last an hour and consists of technique practice and lifting. As I know it you will only ever do 5 reps or less of a given lift (when lifting heavy) and a decent box will spend a lot of time perfecting your tekkers before they up the weight. It's easy to get sucked into going heavy but it will only end in injury.
The second part will be either a small circuit then the wod (set workouts which generally make you feel like you're going to die but then you feel awesome for completing) or just straight into the wod depending on the box you're at.

Some places do half hour sessions at dinner with just a quick lifting session then the wod or even just a long wod.

I absolutely love crossfit and it has changed the way I train massively. And it's improved my body dramatically.
It's competitive but you will meet great people. Just make sure you go to a decent place where they focus on our safety rather than ridiculous weights and pushing you beyond your limits too soon.

Also be prepared...it's expensive!

You need to have a passion for training or you won't 'get it'. It's an all in way of training but it's very addictive.

Hope you enjoy it if you decide to give it a go.
You're the guy with social anxiety who won't train with other people right? Crossfit isn't for you.
Original post by SEHughes
You're the guy with social anxiety who won't train with other people right? Crossfit isn't for you.

Nah. I used hate going into a gym packed with bros and some powerlifters and walking around looking like a weakling noob who doesn't know what I'm doing because the 2 squat racks and one bench is being used.

Not sure where you get the 'I don't train with other people from'. I have no issues asking for spots or asking to work through with someone (if it seem viable). Most my friends at uni don't go to the gym, those that do pay for the peak membership so they go at times I can't. My friends at home lift and I have no issue training with them.

Also, wouldn't say I have social anxiety. If I said that in the past it was probably to exaggerate a point. I've played for sports teams most of my life. I'm definitely introverted but hindering social anxiety? No. Hence why I would have no issue with crossfit in regards the social side of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But if it makes you feel better you can believe whatever you want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So you don't mind asking to work in, but you're complaining that the squat racks are always being used. I've been a fairly regular gym goer since 2006, and unless there were already 3/4 guys at a rack I've never had a problem working in. If they're all being used to bench that's another matter, just gotta find out who's finishing first and grab it when they clear off.
Original post by SEHughes
So you don't mind asking to work in, but you're complaining that the squat racks are always being used. I've been a fairly regular gym goer since 2006, and unless there were already 3/4 guys at a rack I've never had a problem working in. If they're all being used to bench that's another matter, just gotta find out who's finishing first and grab it when they clear off.

There are no 'free' bars in my gym, ie 2 benches, 2 racks = 4 barbells.

A lot of the times when I went in, the racks are both being used by people doing Olympic lifts and unless a bench is free (so I can bring the bar over) I can't use the rack as there isn't a bar there. Same goes for people deadlifting or rowing or whatever else. Or if they are squatting much more than I am I'll just wait until they are finished as it would be annoying having to strip off all the weight each time.

I'll play it by ear, I'll ask how many sets are left and if it isn't many I'll just wait and ask them to tell me when they finish, if it's a lot I'll ask to work in or grap a bar from the incline bench.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crossfit boxes usually have great equipment and if they let you use it and not attend classes then I would go for it, especially as I have found, in London at least, that if you do not do the classes they will charge you a lot less than a Health club.

As for Crossfit I am not a fan at all. Not just because of the injury thing, or the explosive movements for time and the extortionate prices and lack of real training for instructors etc.. which have all been covered extensively.

My main gripe with crossfit is the complete lack of programming, and the complete lack of interest in programming. All the WOD's are pretty much a random assortment of movements done for time so you can be as HARDXCORE as possible. There is no goal, there is no real aim. I can build a programme for a client to achieve tangible and solid goals which would cost a lot less than a six month membership at a crossfit gym: i.e in 6 months you are going to weigh 6 KG less, you are going to squat 140KG and Deadlift 180KG, you will have a 30" vertical jump and a 18 minute 5km. The programme will be built around these goals and the abilities and level of the trainee. Once they reach these goals there will be a new set of goals and so on and so forth which will take the beginner through intermediate to advanced. Generally due to a lack of programming and especially periodisation, a crossfitter will never really leave the beginner stage, and will most definitely never reach the advanced stage of trainee.
Upon joining, you get a free instagram account and an unlimited access to pseudo-intellectual inspirational quotes
Original post by Milf_Hunter
Upon joining, you get a free instagram account and an unlimited access to pseudo-intellectual inspirational quotes

Lololololol

Quick Reply

Latest