The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni- what are the people like?

Hi,

I just went to the Lancaster uni open day, and I was struck with how tight knit the community is. However, due to the lack of night clubs, and the rather strange student union that doesn't have its own building, I was wondering if a lot of the students are quite introverted? That seemed to be my impression when I talked to students there who "preferred pub nights than partying". Is this true for the majority? For someone who is quite social and likes going out, will I get bored?

As well as this, I dont know whether this was due to them being on their best behaviour due to it being open day, but the students seemed to be very focused on their studies and very intellectual. This I don't mind, as I value prioritising work, but I do think that when choosing a uni you should consider how good the social life is.

Are there lots of arty people there that aren't too pretentious? Is everyone friendly and not snobby?

Sorry for the essay, and any replies would be appreciated 👍💃😃
I really like the course which I hope to do at Lancaster, it's just that I don't want to miss out on a uni social life.
Original post by lizziemorris
Hi,

I just went to the Lancaster uni open day, and I was struck with how tight knit the community is. However, due to the lack of night clubs, and the rather strange student union that doesn't have its own building, I was wondering if a lot of the students are quite introverted? That seemed to be my impression when I talked to students there who "preferred pub nights than partying". Is this true for the majority? For someone who is quite social and likes going out, will I get bored?

As well as this, I dont know whether this was due to them being on their best behaviour due to it being open day, but the students seemed to be very focused on their studies and very intellectual. This I don't mind, as I value prioritising work, but I do think that when choosing a uni you should consider how good the social life is.

Are there lots of arty people there that aren't too pretentious? Is everyone friendly and not snobby?

Sorry for the essay, and any replies would be appreciated 👍💃😃
I really like the course which I hope to do at Lancaster, it's just that I don't want to miss out on a uni social life.

I'm currently a second year at Lancaster and have lived on campus and in town. The campus is quite isolated as you really have to get a bus/taxi unless you really want to walk. There plenty of bars and pubs on campus and there's more in town. If you want clubs there's a few in Lancaster but they aren't massive, what can you really expect from a small city.

If there's anything else just reply/PM me. Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by olitheoblong
I'm currently a second year at Lancaster and have lived on campus and in town. The campus is quite isolated as you really have to get a bus/taxi unless you really want to walk. There plenty of bars and pubs on campus and there's more in town. If you want clubs there's a few in Lancaster but they aren't massive, what can you really expect from a small city.

If there's anything else just reply/PM me. Where else have you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its just like any other top ten university really (excluding London) in terms of nightlife. People work hard because they are given a fair bit of work to complete and is generally harder than other universities. But don't worry you do have time to go out occasionally, and lots of people do go out 'clubbing' in Lancaster; its just the people you spoke to didn't, and were more pub inclined.
Ahaha I'm about to go back for my 4th year and I'll be on campus, really looking forward to taking better advantage of the college pubs.

Lancaster students are students, loads of people go out and every day of the week there's a club doing offers (see: Hustle doing 3-for-1s on Thursdays), and on Wednesdays there are free buses to Sugar (and back from) that are never empty.

Lancaster is a collegiate uni. People make friends on their course, and in their college/campus flats. The college bars are convenient places to hang out, but pretty much everyone in my first year flat was a major clubber and went out at least twice a week into town.

Lancaster town itself is also majorly affected by the uni. It does cater to student demand and there are more nightclubs than there would be in a town of similar size with no uni.

You won't get bored unless you're one of those people who needs to go out getting smashed literally every night at a new place.

Edit: also, Lancaster is not Oxbridge. People there are not particularly snobbish. There's your fair share of intellectuals, but I know plenty of people that make me wonder how they find time to pass their course.
I don't really keep track of open days, if it was near exam time then yeah things are a bit quieter, still campus during the day is quite calm. At night there are groups of students running about drunk though, possibly screaming "sultaaaaans" or something similar.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending