The Student Room Group

I respect Muslims who fast during Ramadan

I don't necessarily agree with the religious principles behind it, but I have a lot of respect for Muslims who manage to somehow persevere through it without moaning or feeling sorry for themselves. I imagine it involves a lot of willpower and self-control. I definitely couldn't do it once, let alone every year.

Without food, especially if I was working, within an hour I would feel lethargic. After 11 hours I would be a mess. I also get incredibly grumpy without food to give me an energy fix.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why don't you agree with the religious principles behind it? If you don't mind me asking :smile:
Thank You very Much.
Original post by Lady Comstock
I don't necessarily agree with the religious principles behind it, but I have a lot of respect for Muslims who manage to somehow persevere through it without moaning or feeling sorry for themselves. I imagine it involves a lot of willpower and self-control. I definitely couldn't do it once, let alone every year.

Without food, especially if I was working, within an hour I would feel lethargic. After 11 hours I would be a mess. I also get incredibly grumpy without food to give me an energy fix.

it's not just food. we are not allowed to drink water as well.
Reply 4
Original post by Menakshelatte
it's not just food. we are not allowed to drink water as well.

We also have to refrain ourselves from using foul language such as swearing and we cannot show any anger otherwise our fast will be broken
I don't find it difficult at all! You just eat a lot when you can eat which possibly works out the same amount of calories as you would without fasting.

Anyways I plan on loosing weight :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by IAmYourdog
I don't find it difficult at all! You just eat a lot when you can eat which possibly works out the same amount of calories as you would without fasting.

Anyways I plan on loosing weight :biggrin:

Lies

The first 3 days are the worst but after that your body adapts. I'm someone who is a heavy over eater and would eat whenever I needed to... drink 3-4liters a day and generally was very fulfilled nutritionally.

The constant hunger pains are the worst as I often get headaches and stuff but really in perspective its not that bad. I like fasting both for phsycial and mental benefits but it really helps 'reset' the clock and put your feelings into perspective. e.g not taking things for granted, being more appreciative of things we aren't (like food)

I don't complain and I don't get any special treatment either so its all good - other than my friends CONSTANTLY asking me if I drink water, how long it lasts, etc (USE GOOGLE)

as you can see my grumpyness has entered an advanced stage but other than that I enjoy the mental challenge (for me) to refrain from eating or drinking and stopping gym (this sounds silly but i used to go 4-5x a week so miss my dopamine fix now) and focusing more on the religious perspective of life
Reply 7
Original post by TARS
So ungrateful, people in Africa go without food for days and you can only last 11 hours? Jesus

How is that being ungrateful? Did you even read what she said properly?
Original post by TrojanH
Lies

Hardly. Started on Friday and I can hardly feel the difference!
Don't get headaches or hunger pains!
I was a little thirsty yesterday but today is just another day.
FINALLY A POSITIVE THREAD ABOUT MUSLIMS ON TSR

I applaud you

(Not being sarcastic here)
Once you have purpose why you are fasting. Everything becomes easier.
Reply 11
Original post by Wahid-r

You coward
Original post by TARS
So ungrateful, people in Africa go without food for days and you can only last 11 hours? Jesus

2/10.
Original post by IAmYourdog
Hardly. Started on Friday and I can hardly feel the difference!
Don't get headaches or hunger pains!
I was a little thirsty yesterday but today is just another day.

Damn you! Envious :biggrin:

I only have actual biological side effects - I wouldn't think of breaking fast because of hunger just annoying that I crave food so much... big shock compared to normal not caring and just eating whatever/whenever
Original post by Wahid-r

hey whats up with ur pic/avatar lol it confuses me
Original post by TARS
You coward

TARS wouldn't speak like that.
Reply 16
Original post by Lady Comstock
2/10.

Big attitude from someone with 2000+ posts on this site... loool
People in poor countries go through it all year while we try our best to waste so much food. Be greateful for what you have.
Original post by TARS
Big attitude from someone with 2000+ posts on this site... loool

Dammit TARS, you're meant to serve and be helpful. Can I change your sarcasm settings?
The NHS defines self-harm as 'the act of deliberately causing harm to oneself either by causing a physical injury, by putting oneself in dangerous situations and/or self neglect'.

Just something to think about. Not eating for a month is unhealthy on multiple levels, however much willpower it requires.

Quick Reply

Latest