The Student Room Group

Acceptable Treatment of Prospective Staff?

I am currently on the look for a summer job before uni. I have applied for several but have so far been unlucky. I was contacted last week to go in for an interview. I went, and was pretty much told that I had the job. The guy who was there turned up late, and didn't have any access to my application and also knew nothing about me (my age, previous experience etc). I had already applied online with all this information and was told to come in store to collect an application form which again asked for this information. I was told to bring my passport and also my national insurance number in store this evening & I was led to believe I would get trained when I brought them in. I turned up today and was led through pretty much the same procedure as my 'interview' I spoke to another man and he asked me the same questions, again there was no sign of my application and he knew nothing about me. I assumed he didn't realise I'd already had this meeting with another member of staff and said that I had brought in my passport and NI number. He then said that he required copies of them, which was never mentioned the first time. He then sent me away with a staff uniform ie. a hat and a very crumpled and dirty shirt which he brought out from under his desk. I was in and out within 5 minutes though I had the expectation that I would be there for at least an hour.
As I live outside of my nearest town with no public transport within 30 minutes I had a lift in from one of my parents. If I had known I would only be about 5 minutes I would've asked them to wait, however they went back home (15 minutes drive away) which meant I had to phone them and ask them to pick me up again. I have told both men that there are issues with transport so I need to know roughly how long I'd be there for but they don't seem to take this into consideration.
I really need the experience before moving away for future jobs but if this shop is like this even before I start, I'm worried about what they would be like when it comes to pay etc.
Should I give them a second/third chance or should I accept that it's not the right place for me to work and quit?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by greenladybird
I am currently on the look for a summer job before uni. I have applied for several but have so far been unlucky. I was contacted last week to go in for an interview. I went, and was pretty much told that I had the job. The guy who was there turned up late, and didn't have any access to my application and also knew nothing about me (my age, previous experience etc). I had already applied online with all this information and was told to come in store to collect an application form which again asked for this information. I was told to bring my passport and also my national insurance number in store this evening & I was led to believe I would get trained when I brought them in. I turned up today and was led through pretty much the same procedure as my 'interview' I spoke to another man and he asked me the same questions, again there was no sign of my application and he knew nothing about me. I assumed he didn't realise I'd already had this meeting with another member of staff and said that I had brought in my passport and NI number. He then said that he required copies of them, which was never mentioned the first time. He then sent me away with a staff uniform ie. a hat and a very crumpled and dirty shirt which he brought out from under his desk. I was in and out within 5 minutes though I had the expectation that I would be there for at least an hour.
As I live outside of my nearest town with no public transport within 30 minutes I had a lift in from one of my parents. If I had known I would only be about 5 minutes I would've asked them to wait, however they went back home (15 minutes drive away) which meant I had to phone them and ask them to pick me up again. I have told both men that there are issues with transport so I need to know roughly how long I'd be there for but they don't seem to take this into consideration.
I really need the experience before moving away for future jobs but if this shop is like this even before I start, I'm worried about what they would be like when it comes to pay etc.
Should I give them a second/third chance or should I accept that it's not the right place for me to work and quit?

If you don't mind me asking what company is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
If you don't mind me asking what company is this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Papa Johns, I've heard positive things about the company in general so it's possible it's just this franchise.
Papa Johns, I've heard positive things about the company in general so it's possible it's just this franchise.

I see. Maybe ask your parents and see what they think about the whole situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davidguettafan
I see. Maybe ask your parents and see what they think about the whole situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I already have, they've said it's ultimately up to me but think that they have been unreasonable.
I made this thread before fully deciding to see if anyone had experienced something similar & how it ended up being resolved.
Original post by Lil-Sonic
I would help but since I don't read walls of text [Paragraph it] then i'm out.

Thank you so much for your important contribution. :rolleyes:
I am currently on the look for a summer job before uni. I have applied for several but have so far been unlucky. I was contacted last week to go in for an interview. I went, and was pretty much told that I had the job. The guy who was there turned up late, and didn't have any access to my application and also knew nothing about me (my age, previous experience etc). I had already applied online with all this information and was told to come in store to collect an application form which again asked for this information.

1) Yes sometimes people interviewing you will turn up late. Not very professional but I don't think this counts as treating you badly.

2) It's also possible he did not have access to your application, again not very professional. Maybe this person was not the one originally supposed to be interviewing you and had to stand in on short notice - may also explain why he was late. OR how do you know he didn't have access to this information? At interviews they tend to ask you all the questions again anyway - previous experience etc. it is perfectly normal, essential even. Not sure they should be asking your age though - unless it's in relation to wages or if you are under 18.

3) Sometimes you have to fill in multiple application forms with the same info, this is because they get sent to different people/places.
I was told to bring my passport and also my national insurance number in store this evening & I was led to believe I would get trained when I brought them in. I turned up today and was led through pretty much the same procedure as my 'interview' I spoke to another man and he asked me the same questions, again there was no sign of my application and he knew nothing about me.

4) OK this is a bit odd. Sometimes training doesn't happen when it's supposed to if they're busy, but to have the same interview a 3rd time is very odd.
I assumed he didn't realise I'd already had this meeting with another member of staff

5) Did you tell him?

and said that I had brought in my passport and NI number. He then said that he required copies of them, which was never mentioned the first time.

6) That's a bit obvious, tbh. They need copies for their paperwork, they aren't going to keep your actual documents are they. Some places write it blatently to make it blatently obvious. Some places will have a photocopier and do it for you if you haven't done it, but this place may not.

He then sent me away with a staff uniform ie. a hat and a very crumpled and dirty shirt which he brought out from under his desk.

7) This is the worst bit for me. Crumpled and dirty - no, that is not on.

I was in and out within 5 minutes though I had the expectation that I would be there for at least an hour.

8) This is normal and happens all the time to me. Even after getting 2 buses and close to an hours journey and whatever that cost me. Tbh, you just have to deal with it. Transport issues are your problem not theirs. And 15 minutes drive away for your parents to come and get you is nothing so I don't see what the big deal is to be really honest.

Do what feels right, but you are likely to come accross many places like this. Welcome to the real world. I'd say they were unprofessional and disorganised, I wouldn't call it unacceptable treatment of prospective staff (that's a bit strong), apart from the crumpled dirty uniform - that's unacceptable and disgusting.
(edited 8 years ago)
I already have, they've said it's ultimately up to me but think that they have been unreasonable.
I made this thread before fully deciding to see if anyone had experienced something similar & how it ended up being resolved.

What exactly from your experience do you want to be "resolved"?

It doesnt sound the best i have to admit. It sounds as if its like one thing after another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending