The Student Room Group

how to lose belly fat ?

it's not much just abdominal fat and slight love handles
does anyone know the best way to lose this, best diet? I'm not beach body ready yet :frown:
Reply 1
F*ck dieting, to lose weight you gotta exercise! Running/jogging/power walking is great as you're constantly moving the fat around, it'll burn off pretty quickly doing this, but any exercise is fine. As for dieting: just don't eat sh*t and try not to snack. If you have to snack make sure it's moderately healthy. Make goals for yourself and stick to them. Muscle building exercises like upper and lower ab workouts will help you on your way :smile:
if you diet yes you will lose weight but it is going to affect your academic performance, so if you still have any exams left wait until after your exams
Original post by Shaney96
F*ck dieting, to lose weight you gotta exercise! Running/jogging/power walking is great as you're constantly moving the fat around, it'll burn off pretty quickly doing this, but any exercise is fine. As for dieting: just don't eat sh*t and try not to snack. If you have to snack make sure it's moderately healthy. Make goals for yourself and stick to them. Muscle building exercises like upper and lower ab workouts will help you on your way :smile:

that sounds great, thanks :biggrin:

It's 80% diet yo.

There's no way to lose "belly fat", you can't target fat loss.

Just lose fat weight in general and it will eventually go.

Eat healthily, follow your macros. - http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - put your stats in. Choose what goal you want (I assume fat loss) to get your daily cals, then go with the IIFYM plan, and calculate.

If I went with aggressive fat loss I'd be following ~1700 calories, ~130g protein, 65g fat, 150g carbs and 30g fiber.

You need to set your diet first. And then do whatever exercise you feel like. For weight loss in general? Running is perfectly fine. If you wanna get swole, start lifting - starting strength or strong lifts I think are good ones. I don't lift though so should probably ask for advice for that elsewhere.
Original post by Hatsune Miku
does anyone know the best way to lose this, best diet? I'm not beach body ready yet :frown:
If anyone had a genuine answer to that which didn't involve genetics or mental levels of exercise and diet they'd be too minted to be on TSR.
Reply 6
Original post by blackened_sky
It's 80% diet yo.

There's no way to lose "belly fat", you can't target fat loss.

Just lose fat weight in general and it will eventually go.

Eat healthily, follow your macros. - http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ - put your stats in. Choose what goal you want (I assume fat loss) to get your daily cals, then go with the IIFYM plan, and calculate.

If I went with aggressive fat loss I'd be following ~1700 calories, ~130g protein, 65g fat, 150g carbs and 30g fiber.

You need to set your diet first. And then do whatever exercise you feel like. For weight loss in general? Running is perfectly fine. If you wanna get swole, start lifting - starting strength or strong lifts I think are good ones. I don't lift though so should probably ask for advice for that elsewhere.

When I said "f*ck dieting" I'm referring to actual diets that (generally/stereotypically) women read about in magazines, you should "diet" as such, instead you should just maintain a healthy "diet" as part of a better all round lifestyle. This is more beneficial in the long run rather than just eating berries for a month, losing a stone then piling it all back on afterwards.

Forcing yourself to do sufficient amounts of exercise per day is usually harder than changing what you eat.
When I said "f*ck dieting" I'm referring to actual diets that (generally/stereotypically) women read about in magazines, you should "diet" as such, instead you should just maintain a healthy "diet" as part of a better all round lifestyle. This is more beneficial in the long run rather than just eating berries for a month, losing a stone then piling it all back on afterwards.

Forcing yourself to do sufficient amounts of exercise per day is usually harder than changing what you eat.

Haha sorry, I forget fad diets exist, whenever I see the word diet I instantly think of your personal diet.
Reply 8
Original post by blackened_sky
Haha sorry, I forget fad diets exist, whenever I see the word diet I instantly think of your personal diet.

I know what you mean, I hate to think about them, but it's what instantly comes to mind when a girl/woman asks about a diet :wink:
Reply 9
Eat less.
Original post by Hatsune Miku

First you need to understand why you have fat on your body. It's there because over time you provided your body with more energy from food than it needed, and the rest it stored on your body as fat. Fat is stored energy. So if you want to get rid of it you are going to have to use it for energy instead of food.

It's simple mathematics:

Calories in > Calories out -> weight gain

Calories in = Calories out -> maintenance

Calories in < Calories out -> weight loss

Eating say 3000 calories of proclaimed "healthy foods" like lean meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. will not make you lose weight if you burned 2500cal during the day. In fact you would actually put on weight.

Eating 2000 calories of crappy junk food, ice-cream, chocolate, etc and burning 2500cal will mean you lose weight.

The only difference is that 2000 calories of "healthy foods" are more filling than 2000 calories of junk food and sweets.

The more effective way of losing weight is by counting calories. You can still include some "unhealthy" foods like pizza and ice-cream and if you are counting calories and making sure you burn more than you consume you will still lose weight. It's a lot easier than restricting yourself to only lean meats, vegetables, etc. The only reason those foods are so popular for dieting is that they make you feel fuller on less calories. There is no food that can magically make fat disappear from your body. It's the lack of food that does that. A 500 calorie deficit is a 500 calorie deficit no matter what you ate or how much you exercised.

Try intermittent fasting. Eating during an 8 hour window and fasting for 16 hours. The idea behind it is that every time you eat your body produces insulin, a fat storing hormone. So by eating during a smaller window of time your body doesn't produce insulin as often, and you give your body a chance to dig into the fat stores for energy. Most people can lose a good amount of weight by this method even without consciously restricting their calories. Combine it will fasted training in the morning (try HIIT and some weight lifting) and the fat will melt off.

There are plenty of fitness channels on YouTube that can help you. Check out Brandon Carter and Kinobody.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Dragonrage973
First you need to understand why you have fat on your body. It's there because over time you provided your body with more energy from food than it needed, and the rest it stored on your body as fat. Fat is stored energy. So if you want to get rid of it you are going to have to use it for energy instead of food.

It's simple mathematics:

Calories in > Calories out -> weight gain

Calories in = Calories out -> maintenance

Calories in < Calories out -> weight loss

Eating say 3000 calories of proclaimed "healthy foods" like lean meats, fruits, vegetables, etc. will not make you lose weight if you burned 2500cal during the day. In fact you would actually put on weight.

Eating 2000 calories of crappy junk food, ice-cream, chocolate, etc and burning 2500cal will mean you lose weight.

The only difference is that 2000 calories of "healthy foods" are more filling than 2000 calories of junk food and sweets.

The more effective way of losing weight is by counting calories. You can still include some "unhealthy" foods like pizza and ice-cream and if you are counting calories and making sure you burn more than you consume you will still lose weight. It's a lot easier than restricting yourself to only lean meats, vegetables, etc. The only reason those foods are so popular for dieting is that they make you feel fuller on less calories. There is no food that can magically make fat disappear from your body. It's the lack of food that does that. A 500 calorie deficit is a 500 calorie deficit no matter what you ate or how much you exercised.

Try intermittent fasting. Eating during an 8 hour window and fasting for 16 hours. The idea behind it is that every time you eat your body produces insulin, a fat storing hormone. So by eating during a smaller window of time your body doesn't produce insulin as often, and you give your body a chance to dig into the fat stores for energy. Most people can lose a good amount of weight by this method even without consciously restricting their calories. Combine it will fasted training in the morning (try HIIT and some weight lifting) and the fat will melt off.

There are plenty of fitness channels on YouTube that can help you. Check out Brandon Carter and Kinobody.

woaw that was really helpful :biggrin: thank you so much
2022 is Discipline, confidence, dedication, determination, and patience perseverance
That's all it takes to have the body you need and always desire...your One click away , Click to take charge of your health try this free health supplements for wait loss
bit.ly/3uRiIjF
bit.ly/3uRiIjF
The most effective exercise to burn stomach fat is crunches. Crunches rank top when we talk of fat-burning exercises. Follow a healthy diet. Avoid fast foods and trans fats. Do cardio and eat a high protein diet.

Quick Reply

Latest