The Student Room Group

Who here would like to live in Mayfair?

London house prices are ridiculous. Having said that, to buy a small self contained flat in Mayfair is actually quite cheap, £500,000.

I would definitely live in a tiny apartment in Mayfair just to say to others that I live in Mayfair. Also, the buildings themselves look so regel and grand.

Why bother living in a generic semi down south for £500k when you can live right in the centre of London, the richest neighbourhood in the world for only £500k.

Of course, this would only work if you're single.

The fact is that if you want to buy anything else, an apartment that actually has a bathroom, kitchen and bedroom as separate rooms, it is going to cost you at least £1 million.

Then, things just get more expensive from there. £10,000,000 seems to be the average price for a house in Mayfair.

Who here lives in Mayfair, or near Mayfair, and do you have enough money to live in Mayfair, or another rich area like Kensington?

Would anyone else like to live in London's most exclusive districts?

The fact of the matter is 99% of us are lowly peasants who can't even afford a train ticket to London!

Scroll to see replies

I already live in South Kensington and it's absolutely beautiful,wouldn't change it for anything
Reply 2
Original post by queen-bee
I already live in South Kensington and it's absolutely beautiful,wouldn't change it for anything

Really? You must be very wealthy.

How do you feel having all that money and living in the best place in the world?
Original post by Michael P
Really? You must be very wealthy.

How do you feel having all that money and living in the best place in the world?

Pretty blessed
LOL no I would not pay £500,000 or even half of that to live in Mayfair, I don't like to throw money out the window for no reason. Paying half a million just to be able to 'brag' to someone is quite sad.
Reply 5
I'd like to however i doubt i will.

My current plans are to buy a house and apartment in Leeds before headed for Nottingham or Manchester (unless i continue to be promoted at whatever job i do here) and then perhaps if investments pay off i'll eventually be able to afford to live in London. I suspect i won't get past phase 2 though.
Lived in South Kensington for the last year and hated it after the initial thrill wore off - too much congestion for me. I could never see myself living there full time
Reply 7
Original post by queen-bee
Pretty blessed

And so you should. A lot of people would take living there for granted. I'm glad that you appreciate where you live, and that you recognise you have more money than most people here.
Reply 8
Original post by Brownclown
Lived in South Kensington for the last year and hated it after the initial thrill wore off - too much congestion for me. I could never see myself living there full time

You just can't please some people! You have the opinion of a retired couple, but each to their own I suppose.
I'm quite glad I'm 200 miles north of that rat-infested ****hole.
[QUOTE=Michael P;57226611]You just can't please some people! You have the opinion of a retired couple, but each to their own I suppose.

Haha chill I didn't own a house there lol

I got a scholarship to study at a private sixth form college in South Ken and my boarding accommodation was nearby. City life just isn't for me. It was lovely at night though especially during Christmas when the natural history museum was all decorated
Reply 11
Original post by TornadoGR4
I'm quite glad I'm 200 miles north of that rat-infested ****hole.

So you hate London like I used to hate it. Are you a Northerner by any chance?

There are nice parts of both the North and the South of the country, but London grows on you over time. Before loving it, I hated London for its expense, pollution and congestion. I now find myself loving all of these things, but most of all the fact that you can never feel lonely in London, no matter where you live. There is always something to see, stuff to do and enjoyment to be had by anyone of any age.

I attribute my liking London to the fact that I lived a pretty isolated lifestyle prior to moving here.
Reply 12
Original post by Brownclown
Haha chill I didn't own a house there lol

I got a scholarship to study at a private sixth form college in South Ken and my boarding accommodation was nearby. City life just isn't for me. It was lovely at night though especially during Christmas when the natural history museum was all decorated

City life was never for me either before I moved to London. I do recall my short stay in London some years prior to moving here. All of the stuff other people hated, I hated too. Need I list all of them? No. They are obvious to most people who have experience with London. I find myself liking other obscurities unknown to most people. It is these which made me move to London to begin with, and they never do cease to please, interest nor astonish me. I strongly believe that I will forever be drawn to London for this reason, but it really is quite difficult for me to say with certainty why I do like London above most places. The ineffability of London is what makes it so appealing to me and everyone else no doubt.
i have a family friend who lives in Mayfair, great place to visit but not so great to live there. Very noisy!

p.s only 14% of people in London actually OWN a house i'm sure the proportion of Mayfair is even less. It's all pension funds, asset management, large landlords etc. Mostly bought through leverage.

So if you are stupid enough to buy a tiny flat for 500k.

Go for it brah. But it will fall and you will lose.
If I had the money yes...where I live now is becoming very nice tho (but due to gentrification so..)
Reply 15
Original post by Bill_Gates
i have a family friend who lives in Mayfair, great place to visit but not so great to live there. Very noisy!

p.s only 14% of people in London actually OWN a house i'm sure the proportion of Mayfair is even less. It's all pension funds, asset management, large landlords etc. Mostly bought through leverage.

So if you are stupid enough to buy a tiny flat for 500k.

Go for it brah. But it will fall and you will lose.

I am quite surprised that you say Mayfair is noisy. Recalling my times in Paris not too long ago, I do remember commenting on the quietness of my apartment, despite it being located directly on a main road, or Rue, leading directly to the Champ Elysees. The style of this apartment very much mimicked the apartments of Mayfair in terms of their proximity to the road on which they are located. I should also add this particular Parisian apartment had two double doors spanning the height of the room itself. I am sure that the apartments of Mayfair do not have doors of this height leading to balconies overlooking the main road. In fact, I am pretty sure that they do not have any balconies at all overlooking the main road. This may be virtue of the differing architectural styles of building, namely, Georgian and what I can only define as Parisian. You have reason to doubt my thinking here.
To buy a place in Mayfair that you can barely afford just to tell other people you live there shows how 'great' your mentality is.

Also I don't know which Mayfair you've been looking at where you can get it for half a mill.
Original post by Michael P
I am quite surprised that you say Mayfair is noisy. Recalling my times in Paris not too long ago, I do remember commenting on the quietness of my apartment, despite it being located directly on a main road, or Rue, leading directly to the Champ Elysees. The style of this apartment very much mimicked the apartments of Mayfair in terms of their proximity to the road on which they are located. I should also add this particular Parisian apartment had two double doors spanning the height of the room itself. I am sure that the apartments of Mayfair do not have doors of this height leading to balconies overlooking the main road. In fact, I am pretty sure that they do not have any balconies at all overlooking the main road. This may be virtue of the differing architectural styles of building, namely, Georgian and what I can only define as Parisian. You have reason to doubt my thinking here.

Paris is very quiet i agree. But Mayfair/London is much more busy, Londoners don't care for being quiet much :tongue:
Plus that 500k apartment i believe is on leasehold even then it won't be a great investment especially if the market crashes (which it will in the next 50 years).
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
To buy a place in Mayfair that you can barely afford just to tell other people you live there shows how 'great' your mentality is.

Also I don't know which Mayfair you've been looking at where you can get it for half a mill.

You can on leasehold but nothing in prime sells on freehold any more without a major premium in London.
Reply 19
Original post by deborarosa
If I had the money yes...where I live now is becoming very nice tho (but due to gentrification so..)

Your post reminds me of a particular statistic I read on a site whose name I cannot recall. It said something like over 50% of Mayfair residents were born overseas. I do expect foul play to be involved here. I am also reminded of my Uncle's neighbourhood where its largest house is owned by the lead of some drug cartel. The Mafia.

Quick Reply

Latest