The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jonesy_LJ
However, here perhaps is a maxim that one should live by, namely that one should not be afraid to express the ideas in which they believe, and should not shelter behind the veil of anonimity

I didn't exactly stand up to them behind a veil of anonymity.

Actual life instances count.
Reply 41
Yes society is terrible, let's all renounce it and go back to tribalism, that'll be good...

And I agree, I wouldn't stay with a girlfriend after the relationship had withered. And if you'd made your statement, 'don't continue with loveless relationships' then I wouldn't have disagreed with you.

However instead you've created a hugely vague maxim and presented it as a self evident truth, and brought in your family situation in support of it, whilst deliberately avoiding stating any detail about that situation so that nobody can possibly disagree with you.

I imagine you and Richard Dawkins would get on rather well.
Reply 42
Timeslikethese
I didn't exactly stand up to them behind a veil of anonymity.

Actual life instances count.

If Timeslikethese you are the person who previously was posting as anonymous then you did exactly that by posting as such. If not then I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about, though my comment was certainly not directed towards you.
Reply 43
Jonesy_LJ
Yes society is terrible, let's all renounce it and go back to tribalism, that'll be good...

And I agree, I wouldn't stay with a girlfriend after the relationship had withered. And if you'd made your statement, 'don't continue with loveless relationships' then I wouldn't have disagreed with you.

However instead you've created a hugely vague maxim and presented it as a self evident truth, and brought in your family situation in support of it, whilst deliberately avoiding stating any detail about that situation so that nobody can possibly disagree with you.

I imagine you and Richard Dawkins would get on rather well.

Quite.

"Don't put up with other peoples crap" can be summed up with "stand up and be counted" surely you can work this much out....

Need i detail my family history and the abuse of my sister just to prove that people ought to stand up for themselves?

I cut my family off, that's how I dealt with it, surely you can work out that this is my specific way of dealing with an issue unique to me?

I'd give people more intellectual credit than that...
I'm saying that, when in a situation with my family, I did it face to face.

That the OP doesn't have to show themself to people just to prove a point and my guess is - whether they were anon or not you'd still feel the same so it's just another little point with no real relevance to theirs.
Reply 45
Well frankly if there's no need for you to provide that detail to back up your argument, then why mention it at all?

And again, "don't put up with other people's crap" is just as vague and in conclusive, as it depends massively upon who classifys which beliefs and actions as 'crap'.
Reply 46
Well personally I would say that 'stand up and be counted' implies a sense of unashamedly supporting your beliefs, which clearly you are not doing if you feel the need to be anonymous when expressing them.
Reply 47
Jonesy_LJ
Well frankly if there's no need for you to provide that detail to back up your argument, then why mention it at all?

And again, "don't put up with other people's crap" is just as vague and in conclusive, as it depends massively upon who classifys which beliefs and actions as 'crap'.

Well, then there's no point saying anything at all for fear that it may not apply to absolutely everyone... or that they may not be able to derive meaning from a simple statement...:rolleyes:
Reply 48
Well there's no point in making universal statements if you can't suggest any reason that they should apply universally to all, no.
Jonesy_LJ
Well personally I would say that 'stand up and be counted' implies a sense of unashamedly supporting your beliefs, which clearly you are not doing if you feel the need to be anonymous when expressing them.

I don't disagree - but the message is a good one. What is the point in poking holes for the sake of it?

Do you or do you not agree with the philosophy? Do you not think people ought to stand up and be counted?
Reply 50
Jonesy_LJ
Well there's no point in making universal statements if you can't suggest any reason that they should apply universally to all, no.

Oh for goodness sake. Everyone should stand up for themselves when they feel downtrodden. It doesn't get much simpler.

On another note, your grammar is shocking - but then universal grammar rules shouldn't be applied universally either I bet...
Reply 51
I've no particular view on it one way or the other, I'm not convinced that simply by having a belief one is therefore committed to having to openly announce and defend that belief.
Reply 52
Jonesy_LJ
I've no particular view on it one way or the other, I'm not convinced that simply by having a belief one is therefore committed to having to openly announce and defend that belief.

So, people ought to keep their beliefs to themselves essentially?

Shut up then.
Reply 53
And yes, I've no doubt that when typing on here my grammar is poor, it is not because I'm inept at the English language, it's simply because I'm typing quickly and don't feel the need correct grammatical errors which do not detract from the general meaning of my statements.
Reply 54
I didn't say people ought to keep their beliefs to themselves. I simply said I don't think they should be obligated to reveal them.
Jonesy_LJ
I didn't say people ought to keep their beliefs to themselves. I simply said I don't think they should be obligated to reveal them.

Practice what you preach.
Reply 56
Be quiet then.
Reply 57
Well I am...I don't feel obligated to reveal my opinions to you, I merely choose to.
Reply 58
Ah, beat me to it.
Reply 59
I think it's poor that the two of you are becoming hostile over an academic discussion. Frankly it's uncalled for.

Latest

Trending

Trending