The Student Room Group

How do the SCQF levels work?

Hi,
I'm a non-UK student starting at University of Glasgow in September. I'm looking at the course catalogues, and the "SCQF levels" are really confusing me. Could someone explain what do they mean in practice?

For example, the Politics course catalogue is like this:
http://www.gla.ac.uk/coursecatalogue/courselist/?code=POLITIC&name=Politics

I understand that as a 1st-year student I have to take the courses 1A and 1B anyway, and in the 2nd year I'm supposed to take courses 2A-2B. But what about all the other courses listed? Are they available to me as well, or are they out of bounds for freshers? Should I just take level 7 courses in other subjects in my first year? What defines whether I'm allowed to take level 10 or 11 courses? Because many of them seem very interesting, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to choose them yet. Are they meant for Honours students in their third and fourth years, or can anyone take them, they are just considered harder?

This has been frustrating me since I do not understand the Scottish system and I can't find a satisfying explanation anywhere online. Someone please clear this up for me? :d
Don't pay attention to the SCQF levels, they're not that important. Generally in first year you'll take your 1A & 1B, then the rest of your credits will be filled up with other subjects, eg. English, philosophy. On that course catalogue page you can see it says level 1,2,3,4 - this refers to the year you can take those modules in. Don't worry too much, this will all be explained to you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply