The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at Durham

I'm hoping to study pharmacy at Durham and I understand that it is a fairly new course but I'm unclear on some things.

How exactly are you assed? I know it's a mixture of coursework, exams & practical but when are the exams taken? and what are the practicals like?

Also I know you do placements throughout the year and then you have to do a pre-reg for your 5th year- But I live in Warrington (near Manchester incase you don't know) and
I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a pre-reg placement near my home because all the links I've made during placements will be up in Durham :/ will this be an issue or should I be able to find a pre-reg in my area?

My alternative is to go to Manchester uni, but I really like the look of Durham and queens campus etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by natatalie
I'm hoping to study pharmacy at Durham and I understand that it is a fairly new course but I'm unclear on some things.

How exactly are you assed? I know it's a mixture of coursework, exams & practical but when are the exams taken? and what are the practicals like?

Also I know you do placements throughout the year and then you have to do a pre-reg for your 5th year- But I live in Warrington (near Manchester incase you don't know) and
I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to find a pre-reg placement near my home because all the links I've made during placements will be up in Durham :/ will this be an issue or should I be able to find a pre-reg in my area?

My alternative is to go to Manchester uni, but I really like the look of Durham and queens campus etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm assuming you've seen
https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/2016/info/?id=10270&title=Pharmacy&ucas-code=B230&degree=MPharm&year=2016#essentials?

Usually exams are taken in the summer, but it may vary. As for the practical assessments, you can be sure that you will be given appropriate guidance about how to prepare for these and how they will be conducted.

On the pre-reg placement issue, I'd be very surprised if the department didn't have wide-ranging networks to help students find suitable options. If you like the look of Durham, don't count yourself out of it by worrying about this aspect.
Reply 2
Hi, Durham Pharmacy student here. Sorry for the late reply!
As there is only one module for the first year of pharmacy you would only sit one exam in May.
There are 5 pieces of coursework in first year, which you'll have to hand in between January and April (you will be given your deadlines at the beginning of the year). These are based on a series of practicals that you will carry out in the lab.

Don't worry about pre-reg just yet! The university will give more than enough guidance to make sure each student gets a pre-reg place, the most important thing is to focus on getting the most out of your four years of university to make sure you have the best application possible!

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending