The Student Room Group

Need help with Stat2 May 2013 replacement paper edexcel

Hey Guys, I`m stuck with question no. 7b.Trying very hard to understand the mark scheme but seriously it was of no use.Is there anybody out there who can make it very very clear to me.Exam is tomorrow morning,so a very quick respond would be much appreciated...
Original post by Stella Faux
Hey Guys, I`m stuck with question no. 7b.Trying very hard to understand the mark scheme but seriously it was of no use.Is there anybody out there who can make it very very clear to me.Exam is tomorrow morning,so a very quick respond would be much appreciated...

Hi.

Lets say you had 3 answers correct. Then 20-3, i.e. 17 would be incorrect.
The score would be 4x3-17.

What the mark scheme does is say that if X questions are correct, then there are 20-X incorrect.
The score is then 4X - (20-X) = 5X - 20.
Reply 2
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi.

Lets say you had 3 answers correct. Then 20-3, i.e. 17 would be incorrect.
The score would be 4x3-17.

What the mark scheme does is say that if X questions are correct, then there are 20-X incorrect.
The score is then 4X - (20-X) = 5X - 20.

Hey thank you very much for such a quick respond,but have a question.
If X=3 THEN S=5(3)-20= -5 . So, what does negative 5 means here?:/
Reply 3
I do not think that the EDEXCEL, June 2013 paper in S2 was ever replaced.
Reply 4
Original post by TeeEm
I do not think that the EDEXCEL, June 2013 paper in S2 was ever replaced.

Check out pearson website.
Reply 5
Check out pearson website.

thanks
Reply 6
Original post by TeeEm
thanks

You`re welcome:h::h::wink:
Hey thank you very much for such a quick respond,but have a question.
If X=3 THEN S=5(3)-20= -5 . So, what does negative 5 means here?:/

Hi. The negative 5 represents the overall score.
3 correct questions, 17 incorrect questions, so 3*4 + (-17) = -5.

Think of the S=5X-20 formula meaning that you don't have to work out the number of incorrect answers before performing the calculation, hence why using it for S=3 as also giving the answer of -5.

p.s. sorry about the late response. I'm not online at home. You'll probably be seeing this after you did your exam, in which case I hope it went well.:thumbsup:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi. The negative 5 represents the overall score.
3 correct questions, 17 incorrect questions, so 3*4 + (-17) = -5.

Think of the S=5X-20 formula meaning that you don't have to work out the number of incorrect answers before performing the calculation, hence why using it for S=3 as also giving the answer of -5.

p.s. sorry about the late response. I'm not online at home. You'll probably be seeing this after you did your exam, in which case I hope it went well.:thumbsup:

Hi,um,thanks for caring to reply despite knowing that I probably had taken my exam already.Well,it went smooth,I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest