The Student Room Group

How bad will a U at AS Maths look if my subject is nothing to do with Maths?

I am planning to apply for Cambridge. I did Politics, History, Philosophy and Maths at AS and got AABU. I took maths originally because I wanted to do PPE, for which I thought maths would be helpful, but I quickly realised that despite getting an A at GCSE, I wasn't much good at it, and stopped paying attention to it, deciding to focus on my other subjects, so I got a U. In politics, I got 100 UMS in both units. I did not apply to uni last year, I decided to do a gap year.

If I got something like A*A*A or A*AA at A2, how bad do you think the U would be in my application? Would they reject me out of hand or would they be impressed by my 100 UMS at AS level (which I might repeat at A2). I am applying for HSPS at Cambridge and will do the Politics and International Relations, Sociology, and Social Anthropology elements of the course.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Forget Cambridge.Thats a turn off already
Exclude the U from your application.
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Exclude the U from your application.

Oi fam

Thats illegal.

Dont be going around encouraging people to be criminals
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brother Mario
Oi fam

Thats illegal.

Dont be going around encouraging people to be criminals
Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you dumb fam?

It's not illegal, put the Maths grade down as pending or exclude it if its not in the requirements.
Are you dumb fam?

It's not illegal, put the Maths grade down as pending or exclude it if its not in the requirements.

Naaah, bro. Youre the dumb one

You gotta declare all results - even U ones :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Naaah, bro. Youre the dumb one

You gotta declare all results - even U ones :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you don't. Not if you don't need it.

are you dizzy blud? you have to put everything on. Just cuz were not roadmen like you, don't mean you can make us commit criemz.
Reply 8

I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. You do have to include all your grades, even if you don't "need" it.

@OP, you might aswell forget about oxford if you get a U in your maths exams.
Original post by Async
I'm afraid you're wrong on this one. You do have to include all your grades, even if you don't "need" it.

If you re-take don't you put as "pending"? Or you have to put the U?
Reply 10
If you re-take don't you put as "pending"? Or you have to put the U?

If you're awaiting your results you put it as pending, if you have got the grade already and it's a U then you put your U down.

I got a U in maths and I had to put that in my UCAS application, didn't affect my chances of getting into the UNI I applied for which were asked for 300 UCAS points. Also, I applied for a Software Engineering course which has a fair deal of math involved too.
Us never used to have to be declared, so I think you can omit it.
Yes if you get a U you can ommit it from your application .. I remember our tutor telling our class back in october when we were doing ucas
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Us never used to have to be declared, so I think you can omit it.

IOt depends if it was certificated. Normally, AS's aren't so that's why you can omit it but if they are then you can't reverse the certification, so you have to declare it
Reply 14
Original post by Async

you do not have to declare U grades
Ok broskis lemme clear this up for yall

Basically if you get a U in AS maths and it gets cached in, you gotta declare fam

If you dont cash-in then you dont have to declare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok broskis lemme clear this up for yall

Basically if you get a U in AS maths and it gets cached in, you gotta declare fam

If you dont cash-in then you dont have to declare

Posted from TSR Mobile

Listen 'fam'

You can't cash in a U grade because there's no certificate for it
Reply 17
Original post by naxiv
you do not have to declare U grades

Yes you do. The head of the career department told us that we do.

I recently applied for a apprenticeship scheme, and they require you to get a minimum ucas point to get in, they even explicitly said to declare ALL grades, even U grades. They said by not declaring those grades you're lying to them and could have your application withdrawn for being dishonest.

Also, I did 3 A-Levels in AS, So it would look silly for me to only declare 2 on my UCAS form, they will know whatsupp.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Us don't have to be declared

Many of my mates failed AS Maths and didn't declare it and have offers from top unis including Durham
Original post by samglover25
I am planning to apply for Cambridge. I did Politics, History, Philosophy and Maths at AS and got AABU. I took maths originally because I wanted to do PPE, for which I thought maths would be helpful, but I quickly realised that despite getting an A at GCSE, I wasn't much good at it, and stopped paying attention to it, deciding to focus on my other subjects, so I got a U. In politics, I got 100 UMS in both units. I did not apply to uni last year, I decided to do a gap year.

If I got something like A*A*A or A*AA at A2, how bad do you think the U would be in my application? Would they reject me out of hand or would they be impressed by my 100 UMS at AS level (which I might repeat at A2). I am applying for HSPS at Cambridge and will do the Politics and International Relations, Sociology, and Social Anthropology elements of the course.

Thanks in advance.

It depends on your contextual situation and what school you went to. It's not unheard of for people to get offers and get into cambridge with those AS grades, but there's a high chance you'll be pooled. If you went to anything close to a decent school it'll probably be a no but I'd apply anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending