The Student Room Group

Are men human?

If men are human, then why do so many fathers tell their sons not to cry, which is a distinctly human trait. If we want the world to treat men as human, then we must be human, we must show our emotions, especially considering that most jobs in the future will require employees to understand emotions and help people. Ergo, being human.
You may say I'm generalising fathers, but I said 'many', and you know it'd true. I've asked many people in my life and they all say 'boys don't cry'. I messaged you because you say that 'Men are human too', yet you don't realise that men make themselves unhuman. If you see many movies 'made for men', like action movies, they treat men as aggressive, horny robot soldiers, fighting to the death for nothing, but these traits aren't as human as emotions. Animals are aggressive, they are horny, they fight for food, territory and mates, and so do we, but what makes humans different to them is that we have emotions, we show our emotions and we help others showing their emotions, many women do this and so they are treated as human, yet men are not treated as human because we make ourselves not human. The fault of the patriarchy.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by asmuse123
If men are human, then why do so many fathers tell their sons not to cry, which is a distinctly human trait. If we want the world to treat men as human, then we must be human, we must show our emotions, especially considering that most jobs in the future will require employees to understand emotions and help people. Ergo, being human.
You may say I'm generalising fathers, but I said 'many', and you know it'd true. I've asked many people in my life and they all say 'boys don't cry'. I messaged you because you say that 'Men are human too', yet you don't realise that men make themselves unhuman. If you see many movies 'made for men', like action movies, they treat men as aggressive, horny robot soldiers, fighting to the death for nothing, but these traits aren't as human as emotions. Animals are aggressive, they are horny, they fight for food, territory and mates, and so do we, but what makes humans different to them is that we have emotions, we show our emotions and we help others showing their emotions, many women do this and so they are treated as human, yet men are not treated as human because we make ourselves not human. The fault of the patriarchy.

If only somebody would write a song with the question "are we human?" In it this would be perfect situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
baby dont hurt me.. oh hang on..
If men are human, then why do so many fathers tell their sons not to cry, which is a distinctly human trait. If we want the world to treat men as human, then we must be human, we must show our emotions, especially considering that most jobs in the future will require employees to understand emotions and help people. Ergo, being human.You may say I'm generalising fathers, but I said 'many', and you know it'd true. I've asked many people in my life and they all say 'boys don't cry'.(...)

Altough my father has the same attitude - you have described the stereotypes of being manly well - I believe in an outbreak where men begin to feel emotions. I did it! measured by my interactions with people, I would say that I am able to feel emotions and to handle them, although I have still some difficulties to show emotions by myself. No wonder, as this kind of parenting coined me.

Consider it in that way: To get emotional men, it is important to break from these stereotypes and this parenting out, so the next generation has the chance to create a new living culture of men where they are capable of feeling.

(...) but what makes humans different to them is that we have emotions, we show our emotions and we help others showing their emotions, (...)

Don't forget to mention that people have an awareness what enables people to point the happenings on earth out.
:cry:
Of course men are human. Society tells men not to cry.
Original post by HuggleyDuck
Of course men are human. Society tells men not to cry.

Not the whole society, just exorbitant proud fathers with stereotypical views. They are the hindrance for men of being humans.
Original post by Kallisto
Not the whole society, just exorbitant proud fathers with stereotypical views. They are the hindrance for men of being humans.

I think it's a large part of society influencing some fathers, but men are certainly human and definitely cry.
Original post by Chicken?
If only somebody would write a song with the question "are we human?" In it this would be perfect situation

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or are we dancer?
*sigh*
wow

this guy posted this on my profile
Original post by HuggleyDuck
I think it's a large part of society influencing some fathers, but men are certainly human and definitely cry.

In my case, my father was influenced by my grandparents. In terms of my grandmother I can say that she has never cried in her life so far, although she is over 80 years old by now. My died grandfather told him never crying, no matter what happens.

Of course men are human capable of crying. But that does not apply to my emotionless father!
I hate showing emotion other than happiness or boredom.
This thread is making me all emotional n schitt.

group hug everyone!
Yes.

Animals have emotions too, and they show their emotions. And most animals are not aggressive and don't fight. I think you need to read up on zoology before you start deciding what's human and what's isn't. Besides, humans are animals, why do we have to distance ourselves from animals? Other animals don't kill for fun, or have religions, or watch ridiculous reality tv shows, we could learn a lot from them.

And if it wasn't for men fighting to the death you'd be living in the Nazi empire of the world and worshipping Adolf Hitler right now, have some respect for the people that fought and died so that you can live in comfort and post feminist rubbish on the internet.
(edited 8 years ago)
lol men never seem to learn how to deal with their emotions.
Yeah it's interesting to think about how patriarchy effects men. Often I think we ignore the male side of it because of the history of feminism and the emphasis of women's rights but this doesn't show the full picture of society. Suppressing emotions or encouraging negative ones such as anger doesn't seem logical. Hyper-masculinity can even be dangerous. Mad Max showed that you can have an interesting action movie without conforming to gender stereotypes and tropes we've all seen before. I'd like to see more 3D, well developed male characters in the media.
Original post by louieee
lol men never seem to learn how to deal with their emotions, probs why they're so rapey and aggressive

Woah...
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes men are human, it's usually the overly macho men who are like that, we all know crying (in a nontrivial manner) is perfectly fine & is actually a good way to release our emotions :h: If it's all pent up or men feel ashamed to express/talk about it then it can lead to some disastrous consequences (there's a reason why the male suicide rate is higher). Men really aren't made of solid stone, they feel, they lose, they love, they care, they miss!!! :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending