The Student Room Group

Masters (MSci) or Honours (BSc) if wanting to do a PhD in Physics

I'm just about to start second year of a BSc in physics, at the end of this year we get the option to change to MSci if our grades are good enough (extra year study).

So my question is what the best course of action if I'm wanting to do a PhD. Is there any benefit in doing the MSci? all the postgraduate literature only mentions 2:1 BSc for entry requirements.

Cheers
Original post by gibbyni
I'm just about to start second year of a BSc in physics, at the end of this year we get the option to change to MSci if our grades are good enough (extra year study).

So my question is what the best course of action if I'm wanting to do a PhD. Is there any benefit in doing the MSci? all the postgraduate literature only mentions 2:1 BSc for entry requirements.

Cheers

I would definitely recommend the MSci if you want to do a Phd. Some unis do want an undergraduate or stand alone masters in Physics to do a Phd, looking around I've found UCL & Manchester and a stand alone masters harder to get funding for and is more credits than the 4th year of a science undergraduate masters and takes longer to do.
You compete mostly against MSc, so if your aim is a PHD, then do the four year degree, it is just one year more and make a lot of things way easier. A four year degree will also be totally covered by the student loan which is another plus. The PHD after a BSc is really rare in STEM in our days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending