The Student Room Group

How do credits work?

I have an unconditional to study Music (BMus) at Aberdeen, in September 2015.

So I know that I need a certain number of credits to pass my course. However, I've no idea how many, for my course. I asked a friend (who has now finished his first year of Criminal Justice at UWS) and he says that he has no clue what credits are. So, basically, how do I know how many credits I need to pass my first year, and how to make them up?

It seems I've looked everywhere and can't find the answer.

Thank you for helping a clueless student :')
Credits are basically the currency of a degree. So, say your course is out of 100 credits (nice round number) and you get 25% in one module, 30% in another and 25% in another module (say your taking 3 modules in your degree).

This equates to 30% on average.

Basically, credits are kind of the equivalent to percentage.

Real life example with me.

In the easiest module I have done this year, I achieved 72% and 82% in 2 exams and an average of 84% in coursework.

This equates to 81% on average. Now, the module is worth 30 credits giving me a total of 24/30 credits.

Average that with the rest of my modules (I got 21 credits in one, 19 in another module and in my last one, 18). This averages out to 20.5 credits (rounds to 21) which gives me the bare minimum to get a first (70%).

Make sense?
Original post by Elendil
I have an unconditional to study Music (BMus) at Aberdeen, in September 2015.

So I know that I need a certain number of credits to pass my course. However, I've no idea how many, for my course. I asked a friend (who has now finished his first year of Criminal Justice at UWS) and he says that he has no clue what credits are. So, basically, how do I know how many credits I need to pass my first year, and how to make them up?

It seems I've looked everywhere and can't find the answer.

Thank you for helping a clueless student :':wink:

i think its 120 credits in english unis but dont know if scottish are the same

Quick Reply

Latest