The Student Room Group

Geology degree??

I was originally interested in medicine but unfortunately for me it hasn't worked out (long story) so I'm having to completely change course with what I want to study. After some long thinking and research, I've decided to play it safe with something I really enjoy and that I think I'm fairly good at, so I'm seriously considering applying for geology.

I've just finished my AS levels (biology, chemistry, maths and geography) and so I'm just starting the process of UCAS. We're being encouraged to start drafting our personal statements but I have a little bit of a problem. All of the work experience, voluntary work and extra reading I've done has been centred around medicine and very little of it is transferable to writing about if I'm suited to geology.

Particularly aimed at someone interested in or currently studying geology, how can I build up my personal statement? Is there any work experience I could get that would be helpful? Also, what books/journals/websites etc. would be good to get some more information to make sure I'm completely sure before I apply.

Thanks in advance! :h:
Original post by meloj
I was originally interested in medicine but unfortunately for me it hasn't worked out (long story) so I'm having to completely change course with what I want to study. After some long thinking and research, I've decided to play it safe with something I really enjoy and that I think I'm fairly good at, so I'm seriously considering applying for geology.

I've just finished my AS levels (biology, chemistry, maths and geography) and so I'm just starting the process of UCAS. We're being encouraged to start drafting our personal statements but I have a little bit of a problem. All of the work experience, voluntary work and extra reading I've done has been centred around medicine and very little of it is transferable to writing about if I'm suited to geology.

Particularly aimed at someone interested in or currently studying geology, how can I build up my personal statement? Is there any work experience I could get that would be helpful? Also, what books/journals/websites etc. would be good to get some more information to make sure I'm completely sure before I apply.

Thanks in advance! :h:

Hi :smile:

My sister will study Geology at Uni next year, so I can try and help you out a bit?

For wider reading, she read Bill Bryson's A short History of nearly everything, along with other books about rock types, previous volcanic eruptions etc.
For her personal statement, she talked about when we'd been on holiday, and how she'd discovered the geology and earth makeup of the area (for example Table Mountain in South Africa)
She didn't do work exp for Geology, but she did get a café job. (She too was late deciding what she wanted to do), but I'm sure your school / sixth form will have websites to link you to people to talk to / ask about work exp for geology.
Make sure you say why you like it though, and put in the work exp for mediciene as it shows that you have been bothered to get some :smile:
My sister comes home on Friday so I can ask her then for you?

Hope this has helped in some way,
Mo
Hi, we've just finished the open day tours for Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Bristol for Geology/ Earth Sciences, they all said that it is very difficult to get geology related work experience and so they don't expect it on a ps. Perhaps put down your other work experience to show that you're motivated and not just sitting around doing nothing :-)
Oh and wider reading - The Map that changed the World by Winchester (specifically mentioned by Aberdeen lecturer), The Planet in a Pebble by Zalasiewicz.
The head of Bristol earth sciences said basically not to fret too much about the PS, they would be less concerned about it than the applicant, it's all about getting good grades and not wasting precious revising hours on a PS!.
(edited 8 years ago)
My sister is home :smile:

She says:

Talk about previous stuff you've done that related to it - Don't read Charles Yell because it's more of a textbook read than extensive research reading.
She got offers from Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, UCL and Durham.
If you want to know which area you want to go into specifically, read books about that. Also, newspaper/online articles are great for interviews.
Also, join clubs - my sister joined her local astrological society.
Activities (Fossil exploration etc) and holiday trips (SA Table Mountain, Mount Vesuvius)
BIG things up, make yourself sound good.

Hope this helps :smile:
Mo
Reply 4
Original post by Morganblue68
My sister is home :smile:

She says:

Talk about previous stuff you've done that related to it - Don't read Charles Yell because it's more of a textbook read than extensive research reading.
She got offers from Bristol, Manchester, Glasgow, UCL and Durham.
If you want to know which area you want to go into specifically, read books about that. Also, newspaper/online articles are great for interviews.
Also, join clubs - my sister joined her local astrological society.
Activities (Fossil exploration etc) and holiday trips (SA Table Mountain, Mount Vesuvius)
BIG things up, make yourself sound good.

Hope this helps :smile:
Mo

Thank you so much for asking her! That's definitely helpful, I'll try and find some good sources for online articles. Your sister has amazing offers too, good luck to her! Thanks again :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Hi, we've just finished the open day tours for Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Bristol for Geology/ Earth Sciences, they all said that it is very difficult to get geology related work experience and so they don't expect it on a ps. Perhaps put down your other work experience to show that you're motivated and not just sitting around doing nothing :-)
Oh and wider reading - The Map that changed the World by Winchester (specifically mentioned by Aberdeen lecturer), The Planet in a Pebble by Zalasiewicz.
The head of Bristol earth sciences said basically not to fret too much about the PS, they would be less concerned about it than the applicant, it's all about getting good grades and not wasting precious revising hours on a PS!.

Thank you so much! It's really helpful to know that work experience isn't expected, I'll probably just talk about some transferable skills from the work I've already done. Thanks for the book recommendations too :smile: I was trying to find a public lecture to attend but they seem hard to get hold of, also I wanted to visit a museum but travelling is an issue. Annoying but I'm sure I can sort something out! Thanks again pal.

Quick Reply

Latest