The Student Room Group

Is the maintenace grant getting removed for 2015/16

I have heard reports that the Tories could scrap the grant will this happen in 2015/16 or 2016/17 if it does go through
Reply 1
Yep, I've seen those reports as well. It's entirely possible that all student funding will soon take the form of repayable loans.

However, it certainly won't happen for the coming academic year - the majority of Student Finance applications are in and the funding for those - based on the current system - has already been awarded.
Doubt 2016
Original post by Klix88
Yep, I've seen those reports as well. It's entirely possible that all student funding will soon take the form of repayable loans.

However, it certainly won't happen for the coming academic year - the majority of Student Finance applications are in and the funding for those - based on the current system - has already been awarded.

Thanks so if the plans do happen what will happen to the £3387 max maintenace grant will it be replaced by more loans for that amount or only maintenace loans will exist?
Reply 4
Original post by ineedtorevise127
Thanks so if the plans do happen what will happen to the £3387 max maintenace grant will it be replaced by more loans for that amount or only maintenace loans will exist?

No idea - no details have been announced yet.

I can forsee political problems with increasing unpaid student debt. If the grant is replaced by an increased loan, I wonder whether that will mean a change to more stringent repayment criteria.
Usually when the government have announced changes to student finance, it only affects new students. (ie, the £9k fees, etc)

What they've said in the news seems to me, at least, just seems to be a proposal. I don't think they've actually said it will happen and if it does happen, when.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending