The Student Room Group

Maybe I shouldn't go to university?

I'm really now re-thinking university...
During this week, school has been giving us lectures about life at university, finances etc and we're writing our personal statements- it just put me off completely.
For one, my main career goal doesn't require a degree. Being in the music and film industry requires experience and skills but everyone is insisting that I should go and learn something as I would need a job to sustain myself.

This is just going to take up my time as I wouldn't have time to practice or work on skills as a music artist. I know once I hit uni it's constant study in the library and if it's similar to how school has been i.e 7 hours a day with weekends off- I'm definitely not going. I've been called selfish because I have been dependent on my parent's finances but being in loans for a degree that wouldn't lead me directly to where I want to be, to me is unnecessary.
So don't go to University, if you don't think it's worth your time/money to spend 3 yrs+ doing a course you don't really want to do why waste time? You could always apply to keep school etc happy (mine basically hounded you down until you agreed to apply to Uni) and then look at other routes in to whatever industry your goal is and get as much relevant experience as you can to make yourself look more appealing to employers.

My career choice doesn't actually require me to do a degree like some, it's advised but not 100% needed. For me it was more to use the facilities my Uni provides and connections.... and the fact that my course is 100% coursework based and no reading means I have tonnes of time to work on relevant skills.

Quick Reply

Latest