The Student Room Group

What is your preferred Operating System for development?

Scroll to see replies

I do game dev so I'm biased but it has to be Windows for me.

Visual Studio is the best IDE I've used so at the moment that is a deciding factor, the availability of game engines is another.

Finally, I've tried Linux a few times and quite frankly programming is hard enough without having to battle the OS as well.
Original post by DasSnipez
I do game dev so I'm biased but it has to be Windows for me.

Visual Studio is the best IDE I've used so at the moment that is a deciding factor, the availability of game engines is another.

Finally, I've tried Linux a few times and quite frankly programming is hard enough without having to battle the OS as well.

A bit of an inaccurate answer, I think! :tongue: Give Linux another try and I bet you'll be surprised. You can use Java for making games (e.g. libGDX), and Unity have their editor in beta for Linux now.

The OS isn't that hard to 'battle', as you say. What problems were you having?

(edit: of course, you're going to have to use Windows for DirectX and also Windows Store development :tongue: )
Original post by mos182
OS X, Windows or Linux?

What version do you prefer? I know if I didn't say this, there'd just be people who say Windows or Linux so that's why I'm asking people to be specific.

I'm currently really liking Xubuntu. I've been using Ubuntu quite often during my placement and eventually I decided to try and dual boot my laptop with Windows 7 on it and also Xubuntu.

I recently got my first gaming PC and just installed the Windows 10 preview edition (very nice, much better than 8 btw!) for gaming and Xubuntu for development.
None, I prefer BSD and Plan 9.

Programming on BSD is just like Linux, but Plan 9 is a proper adventure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending