The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Computer science with foundation year / science foundation year

Can someone tell me who is doing or has done the science foundation year how it is, how many lectures a week did you attend and how difficult was the foundation year. Also how was your experience of the foundation year as a whole :smile:

Also is there any books you would recommend.
(edited 8 years ago)
bump
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Hey Ive just passed the science foundation year and am going into my first year. The foundation year has some parts that you may find tedious, such as assignments on learning skills but for the most part it's a really good course. It's a gentler ease into university life. It gives you the opportunity to figure out how to best organise yourself and allows you to get accustomed to the university and how they do things before starting your actual degree. You will get a few modules based around what you are actually due to study and then a few other core ones. Since you are doing the science route this will include a maths module. Other modules are based around trying to give you skills you can use in your degree. These will include learning to write reports, an article based on scientific research and using evidence to back up your findings. You will also have to take part in a group project in the 2nd semester and give a presentation by yourself, however they will break you into it. So if presentations concern you, you need not worry.
In terms of the amount of lectures you have, it depends on the course your going on to do. I entered the foundation year to get onto a geology degree and had on average 1 full day a week of lectures and 1-2 lectures a day for the rest of the week.

In my opinion it was well worth doing and I'm coming into the first year at a bit of an advantage. The work is relatively easy but demanding, you must keep up with it or you could be easily overrun. Be firm with yourself and make yourself go to the lectures, even for ones you find easy because they will often give you crucial information regarding assignments.

I can't really recommend any books really because it's not really the kind of thing you can prepare for. One thing I would recommend is make sure your maths is up to scratch. That was one area I really struggled with, you have a class test, an excel assignment and then an exam spread out over the year. Also check your uni emails everyday, it's the main way they communicate with you.

Hope that helps
Reply 3
Original post by Palaeontology
Hey Ive just passed the science foundation year and am going into my first year. The foundation year has some parts that you may find tedious, such as assignments on learning skills but for the most part it's a really good course. It's a gentler ease into university life. It gives you the opportunity to figure out how to best organise yourself and allows you to get accustomed to the university and how they do things before starting your actual degree. You will get a few modules based around what you are actually due to study and then a few other core ones. Since you are doing the science route this will include a maths module. Other modules are based around trying to give you skills you can use in your degree. These will include learning to write reports, an article based on scientific research and using evidence to back up your findings. You will also have to take part in a group project in the 2nd semester and give a presentation by yourself, however they will break you into it. So if presentations concern you, you need not worry.
In terms of the amount of lectures you have, it depends on the course your going on to do. I entered the foundation year to get onto a geology degree and had on average 1 full day a week of lectures and 1-2 lectures a day for the rest of the week.

In my opinion it was well worth doing and I'm coming into the first year at a bit of an advantage. The work is relatively easy but demanding, you must keep up with it or you could be easily overrun. Be firm with yourself and make yourself go to the lectures, even for ones you find easy because they will often give you crucial information regarding assignments.

I can't really recommend any books really because it's not really the kind of thing you can prepare for. One thing I would recommend is make sure your maths is up to scratch. That was one area I really struggled with, you have a class test, an excel assignment and then an exam spread out over the year. Also check your uni emails everyday, it's the main way they communicate with you.

Hope that helps

Now that you've done the foundation year and are going into your first year, do you call yourself a first year or second year? Also would you be going to freshers seeing as you're just starting your actual degree?
Also are the classes smaller on the foundation year? So is it easier to make friends?
Original post by Riley95
Now that you've done the foundation year and are going into your first year, do you call yourself a first year or second year? Also would you be going to freshers seeing as you're just starting your actual degree?
Also are the classes smaller on the foundation year? So is it easier to make friends?

First year because yes it's not my first year at keele but it's the first year of my degree. I do plan on going to freshers yeah, so do my friends who are now entering the 2nd year of their degrees. It's quite good, they have quite a few events and society sign ups so it's worth going even if you've been before.
I'm not sure if the classes are smaller, they may be in some instances but the only time the classes felt too big was right at the beginning when they had to induct literally everyone doing the foundation year in the same room for a few lectures. After that they branch you off depending on wether you are doing the science, social science or humanities routes. After this the classes never felt too big. My advice for making friends would simply be to say hello to whoever is sat next to you, they are in the same boat after all so people are eager to make friends.
Reply 5
Original post by Palaeontology
First year because yes it's not my first year at keele but it's the first year of my degree. I do plan on going to freshers yeah, so do my friends who are now entering the 2nd year of their degrees. It's quite good, they have quite a few events and society sign ups so it's worth going even if you've been before.
I'm not sure if the classes are smaller, they may be in some instances but the only time the classes felt too big was right at the beginning when they had to induct literally everyone doing the foundation year in the same room for a few lectures. After that they branch you off depending on wether you are doing the science, social science or humanities routes. After this the classes never felt too big. My advice for making friends would simply be to say hello to whoever is sat next to you, they are in the same boat after all so people are eager to make friends.

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest