The Student Room Group

Should I do Computer Science?

Yes, I know this is an incredibly stupid question, and people would say, do what you like or what you're passionate about. Thing is, I am passionate about CS (I like it, find it fun and stimulating) but I just don't know if I'm good enough for it. It's sort of like a wheelchair-bound person saying "I like rock-climbing" but they can't actually do it because they do not have the ability. I do like Math as well (but I'm no savant).

So, is there such a thing as 'study hard and you'll do well' in CS or do you have to be born a math genius with a talent for CS to actually stand a chance of doing well/ gaining a first for CS?

Thank you for any help.
Original post by wanderlust98
Yes, I know this is an incredibly stupid question, and people would say, do what you like or what you're passionate about. Thing is, I am passionate about CS (I like it, find it fun and stimulating) but I just don't know if I'm good enough for it. It's sort of like a wheelchair-bound person saying "I like rock-climbing" but they can't actually do it because they do not have the ability. I do like Math as well (but I'm no savant).

So, is there such a thing as 'study hard and you'll do well' in CS or do you have to be born a math genius with a talent for CS to actually stand a chance of doing well/ gaining a first for CS?

Thank you for any help.

There are men who have moved mountains , there are people who havE run 24 mararthons i n24 days . Did they listen to the naysayers were they coinsumed by slef doubt. A men is made up of his thoughts. IF there is a will there is a way, if your really passionate and you worked hard and smartly then you will be fun . Do write yourself of .

"Computer science and coding is like lego for the Mind . it is fun but exhausting "

Do you have the necessary requirements for the requirede A -Levels.
Hi there,

Mathematics is a requirement but certainly not a big one, IMO.

I do agree, however, you need to have a certain way of thinking to do CS. Not everyone can do it BUT its all about practicing you see. In programming, you just need to get use to do things like how the computer does it's tasks.

I would say go for it if you are interested, CS can be hard but you already have the most important requirement to do CS (which is "interest").

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending