The Student Room Group

Theresa May is sending home all foreign nurses earning £35,000 a year

Scroll to see replies

I don't think the Tories have any idea of what they're doing. They must be one of the most reactionary governments in history.

Combine this policy with the fact that the number of funded nurse training places is decreasing and you've got a perfect storm.
Original post by Bill_Gates
This has to be poor logic coming from you Alfissti i was expecting better. Those claiming JSA for example don't always have the necessary skills to become a nurse. Also becoming a nurse is not just about meeting the minimum requirements but actually having empathy for others. Which many foreign nurses do have, they genuinely want to help people.

you beat me to it :wink: do you know the actual requirement you have to meet to become a nurse @Alfissti :P
Original post by Artur96
Well, it seems to happen every time. What a coincidence, right?

Nope. Maybe, your Mum is a racist like you.
Original post by looseseal
I don't think the Tories have any idea of what they're doing. They must be one of the most reactionary governments in history.

Combine this policy with the fact that the number of funded nurse training places is decreasing and you've got a perfect storm.

We have 5 more years of this too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DorianGrayism

it's his maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
didn't Hitler start because of his ma too?
Lol. This thread just illustrates racism that Foreign NHS workers face.

If they don't speak in perfect English and do not act in deference to the Patient and their family then they are branded incompetent and unable to speak English.
This is so ridiculous. I suspect after this they'll stick nursing on the exemption list, although they seem to have lost all common sense when it comes to the health service lately.

Although having said that, the current recruitment from european countries (Spain, Italy, Portugal) would be exempt from this (assuming we remain in the EU...) and there are a lot of them. I've met quite a few who are much more highly skilled than the posts they've been put in as well - seems like some practical skills are more widely taught on the continent than here in the UK! Just need to get rid of the weird nursing competency divide.
Reply 47

Ahh yes, when you have no arguments left, just pull the racism card!
Lol. This thread just illustrates racism that Foreign NHS workers face.

If they don't speak in perfect English and do not act in deference to the Patient and their family then they are branded incompetent and unable to speak English.

I don't disagree with you that some of it due to racism, but I think there is also a lot to be said for cultural differences and heavily accented english. You can say some of it is racist and the rest is confused and vulnerable old people in hospital being spoken to abruptly (and therefore seemingly discourteously) in a strong accent they can't understand.

Communication skills are part of every job, including caring roles like Nursing and it's not racist to point out where communication fails.
Original post by seaholme
This is so ridiculous. I suspect after this they'll stick nursing on the exemption list, although they seem to have lost all common sense when it comes to the health service lately.

PRSOM. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.
Original post by Artur96
Ahh yes, when you have no arguments left, just pull the racism card!

You haven't presented an argument. You just cried that your mum left her job for an unknown reason and therefor foreign nurses are bad
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
You haven't presented an argument. You haut cried that your mum left her job for an unknown reason and therefor foreign nurses are bad

Now you're projecting.
Original post by Artur96
Now you're projecting.

no thats exactly what you did. You need facts to back up your argument if you're going to make a massive generalisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
They should focus on kicking out immigrants who don't have jobs not qualified people. If you want to solve the immigration problem you begin with the scums not with the people who are trying to work fair and make a decent living.
Reply 54
Original post by datpiff
no thats exactly what you did. You need facts to back up your argument if you're going to make a massive generalisation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The main fact is that NHS is becoming less efficient and more people are starting to distrust the NHS.
Here's someone looking more into NHS being not so efficient after all:
http://www.adamsmith.org/blog/healthcare/myth-busting-nhs-not-efficient-after-all/
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Artur96
The main fact is that NHS is becoming less efficient and more people are starting to distrust the NHS.

Thats not a fact. Thats an opinion. A fact would be for example "from a survey of patients from *insert study here* they found ___% believe the NHS is becoming less efficient"

Also a blog is just somebody else's opinion. Anyone can write a blog.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by datpiff
Thats not a fact. Thats an opinion. A fact would be for example "from a survey of patients from *insert study here* they found ___% believe the NHS is becoming less efficient"

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've updated my post.
Original post by Artur96
I've updated my post.

Well i still totally disagree with everything you have said and just because you say something emotional (so and so happened to my mum) it doesn't mean people will ignore the total racist bs. You are just basing everything on your experiences.

That article says nothing about immigration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LenaSim
They should focus on kicking out immigrants who don't have jobs not qualified people. If you want to solve the immigration problem you begin with the scums not with the people who are trying to work fair and make a decent living.

Non-EU immigrants cannot stay in the UK without a job, so you're not asking for anything.
Original post by seaholme
I don't disagree with you that some of it due to racism, but I think there is also a lot to be said for cultural differences and heavily accented english. You can say some of it is racist and the rest is confused and vulnerable old people in hospital being spoken to abruptly (and therefore seemingly discourteously) in a strong accent they can't understand.

Communication skills are part of every job, including caring roles like Nursing and it's not racist to point out where communication fails.

Some southern English people cannot understand northern English, Welsh, Irish, or Scottish accents either. People even complained about the new Doctor, who has a rather soft Scottish accent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending