The Student Room Group

Theresa May is sending home all foreign nurses earning £35,000 a year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SotonianOne
There is no shortage of nurses.

There is a shortage of demand for nurses. That's different. The Government has no interest in hiring more nurses regardless whether a thousand or ten thousand new ones come here.

We don't exactly have tonnes of them especially considering that most are in the older age ranges and will retire with no one to replace them at current training places.
Original post by Mark8346
If 6000 are needed, but the government only wants to hire 3000, then there is a shortage. In this case it's a government induced shortage.

are we talking about economics-related shortage or mark8346-related shortage? you could have told me it's the latter so I wouldn't waste my time

"need" is highly subjective
"shortage/surplus" is ONLY applicable to supply and demand

there is no demand and there is more supply than zero, therefore there is a surplus.

Yes, need is highly subjective in the context of 28,000 people dying due to a shortage of healthcare staff. I guess those 28,000 people don't need to live. Hence hiring the staff need to make sure they don't die doesn't need to be done!

Could you stop acting like a mindless tory party robot for just a second and possibly realize that just because your favorite party doesn't want to hire more staff so that less people die - it doesn't mean that those staff are not needed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Alfissti
Excellent news, nothing grinds my gears more than going to a hospital only to find a nurse that can't speak proper English.

For everyone criticising his post, I went to hospital in January with some very serious bronchitis, and the European nurse I was talking to was lovely but she didn't even know what bronchitis was or how to spell it. I wrote it down on a piece of paper for her and she clearly had no clue what I was talking about. She kept insisting I just had a cold.

I'm sure most foreign nurses can speak good English but I'm damn lucky I got to see a doctor afterwards who did understand me. Even as a native English speaker there are a lot of medical terms I wouldn't understand or be able to spell, but bronchitis is hardly something particularly rare. It was worrying.

yabbayabba
Nah there are a few nurses who simply can't understand English tbh. I was recovering from an operation and the Eastern European nurse couldn't understand what I was asking, but the Scottish nurse who came after 15 minutes of faffing, resolved the issue in 30 seconds. Nothing against foreign nurses at all, but if they can't understand patients they can't do their jobs properly and shouldn't be working for the NHS. End of.

Agreed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 144
Pull figures from whatever orifice you like.

If you don't believe we need more nurses, you've no idea the scale of the problem.
Original post by Mark8346
Yes, need is highly subjective in the context of 28,000 people dying due to a shortage of healthcare staff. I guess those 28,000 people don't need to live. Hence hiring the staff need to make sure they don't die doesn't need to be done!

Could you stop acting like a mindless tory party robot for just a second and possibly realize that just because your favorite party doesn't want to hire more staff so that less people die - it doesn't mean that those staff are not needed.

Yes it does.
Sometimes I come onto this site and read things and wonder what sort of distorted reality users on TSR actually live in. To say there is no demand for nurses purely because the government doesn't want to employ more nurses is probably one the more obscure.

We have an ageing population, who are requiring more interventions from healthcare professionals, both in the community and in the hospital. Last winter was clear evidence of this with the amount of pressure the health service was under and it wasn't particularly cold either. There is an increasing demand for healthcare from the population, for this to be delivered there needs to be more healthcare professionals available to deliver it in a timely manner so that the care delivered is safe. This will include nurses. Just because the government are not interested in recruiting nurses doesn't mean there is not a shortage. As it stands at the moment, private agencies are making a killing and the bill for agency nurses being paid by the NHS has increased massively, is this not evidence of a shortage where the government are using the short sighted approach of expensive agency workers to plug gaps in staffing?
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed not

Eh?

Over what term?

Over this term.
Original post by Foo.mp3
The GovT intends to spend not a penny of the pledged £8bn+ extra expenditure on the NHS per year by the end of 'this term' in parliament on extra nursing? :lolwut:

Likely so. And most of that 8bn will never be delivered nevertheless.

Mostly paramedics and capital spending.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Not.. sure.. if.. serious :erm:

Yes, very serious.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Indeed not :u:
Eh?
Over what term?

I like your use of the spoiler function.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Do you base this extremely far fetched belief on anything in particular e.g. an official source?

We aim to please :chaplin:

you are ridiculous

whatever. enjoy the nhs cuts.
Original post by Foo.mp3
That enlightened response is as good as saying:

'No, I do not have a source for my wrongly held/falsely professed belief and really I should have backed down on this from the get-go, my bad'

#HumilityFTW

ye
are we talking about economics-related shortage or mark8346-related shortage? you could have told me it's the latter so I wouldn't waste my time

"shortage/surplus" is ONLY applicable to supply and demand

there is no demand and there is more supply than zero, therefore there is a surplus.

There is a higher need than supply, mass nursing drives and employing nurses from abroad at a great cost only show this. The only reason nurses might not find employment immediately after university is that trusts cannot afford to hire any more nurses. If they find a lack of care due to staff numbers, then it's usually workers in the clerical/domestic/allied health sectors that get the sack, to allow more nurses to enter the profession.

The NHS are going to lose a lot of good band 5 and 6 nurses, all so that the Tories can make it seem like they're putting they're foot down on migration. It's incredibly demoralising for nurses who have left their families and friends and homes to make a new life and contribute to the NHS to be told to piss off. Nursing is one of the few professions that has such a large number of migrant workers, and it's also one of the lowest paid professional careers, so to put out a message that almost specifically speaks to nurses is such a slap in the face.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending