The Student Room Group

Four in 10 students say university not good value

Four in 10 of the first students to pay higher fees do not believe their courses have been good value for money

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33204691

Your views?!

Scroll to see replies

The more I think about Uni, the more I don't want to go. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It 100% isn't. Nothing much more than a cash cow with these fee increases tbh.

I'm paying for an education I would have got for 3 times less a few years back. So vaule for the money, absolutely not in it's current state.

People talk about having fun etc and it's the experience also. I'm sorry but if I want a life experience and fun I'll happily go traveling and learn much more in regards the social side of things than I would at uni.

The reality is though, if you stand a chance at getting the job you want you need a degree. There are other options such as studying on the job. But this has it's draw backs such as limiting your options, 'stealing' your best years of having fun 18-25, and there are only so many posi available of this kind.

Uni has it's pros and cons like everything does. Value for money went from a pro to a con the second Nick Clegg lost his backbone.

Would I think twice if I could turn the clocks back to the summer before starting? 100% not! Value for money and not being worth it are two different things. Also, no ****ing way I'm paying all that £50k+ back, I'll even make a point of it. Thank you tory government, I'll keep the money you took from me thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheBlueBiro
The more I think about Uni, the more I don't want to go. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

aw
Reply 4
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

Posted from TSR Mobile

true 9k not including books, accommodation etc
Reply 5
Not surprising that those who are least satisfied are those that typically have the fewest hours and least contact.
Original post by Bill_Gates
true 9k not including books, accommodation etc

Losing a campus card at my uni costs £10 to replace it. And by replace I mean hit the print button, do a sort of lamination to it and cut it. Obviously not a £10 cost, quite clearly a bit of money being made.

Also, for some reason they aren't able to factor £18 into that chucky 9k I pay for a lab coat, eye protection and a lab book. I'm not allowed the the lab without these and need the other to pass. So they essentially force me to pay it.

Original post by Drewski
Not surprising that those who are least satisfied are those that typically have the fewest hours and least contact.

I do think it is unfair humanities were affected by that fee rise. Bit of a joke paying all that money to essentially read a bunch of books in your own time and then discuss 10% of what you read in a 1hr seminar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Losing a campus card at my uni costs £10 to replace it. And by replace I mean hit the print button, do a sort of lamination to it and cut it. Obviously not a £10 cost, quite clearly a bit of money being made.

Also, for some reason they aren't able to factor £18 into that chucky 9k I pay for a lab coat, eye protection and a lab book. I'm not allowed the the lab without these and need the other to pass. So they essentially force me to pay it.

I do think it is unfair humanities were affected by that fee rise. Bit of a joke paying all that money to essentially read a bunch of books in your own time and then discuss 10% of what you read in a 1hr seminar.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lost my card several times in the first year lol
From my experience, university isn't a good value. I study economics and I don't get enough contact hours. I get that we have to study independently and all that, but when the lecturer is literally speeding through the slides just so we can finish on time, there is clearly a problem. Also, many lecturers are sub-par, which makes their lectures a waste of time (better to just study alone).
Reply 9
Original post by EconObsessed
From my experience, university isn't a good value. I study economics and I don't get enough contact hours. I get that we have to study independently and all that, but when the lecturer is literally speeding through the slides just so we can finish on time, there is clearly a problem. Also, many lecturers are sub-par, which makes their lectures a waste of time (better to just study alone).

where are you studying? how many hours tutorial do you get?

Would I think twice if I could turn the clocks back to the summer before starting? 100% not! Value for money and not being worth it are two different things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

please elaborate on how something can not be value for money and still be worth it?
Original post by skeptical_john
please elaborate on how something can not be value for money and still be worth it?

johns skeptical
Reply 12
Personally I paid the lower rate and still didn't consider it very good value; not only for the fees but also the 3 years of potentially missed income. In my industry (IT) experience and technical qualifications are far more important than having a degree.
It's what you make of it, if you pick a course with rubbish job prospects then it's not worth the money. However if you get out, get some experience etc. and get the job you want at the end, then it would be. The headline should just be 4 out of 10 students are butt hurt because they didn't make the most of their time at university.

And before people say it's all to do with uni prestige, I know a lot of people who got £30K+ paying jobs who went to universities ranked 50+ for the subject they studied. It's ultimately down to the student.
Original post by Reue
Personally I paid the lower rate and still didn't consider it very good value; not only for the fees but also the 3 years of potentially missed income. In my industry (IT) experience and technical qualifications are far more important than having a degree.

This is what I've been saying on another forum. The whole set up of degrees is out of date. People should be able to get far more specific courses aimed at what they need. You may for instance, only need 4-5 modules from an IT course for a job in database management but you have to learn a load of other **** as well.
Its great value in Scotland :biggrin:
Original post by Matt8393
It's what you make of it, if you pick a course with rubbish job prospects then it's not worth the money. However if you get out, get some experience etc. and get the job you want at the end, then it would be. The headline should just be 4 out of 10 students are butt hurt because they didn't make the most of their time at university.

And before people say it's all to do with uni prestige, I know a lot of people who got £30K+ paying jobs who went to universities ranked 50+ for the subject they studied. It's ultimately down to the student.

From my personal data set, yes those lower ranked uni students did get decent jobs. But they never stayed in them long. They were just not smart or quick enough to keep up. Only a matter of time before you are found out personally. Hence why certain employers only want from a select group of unis.
Original post by seyrose
Its great value in Scotland :biggrin:

haha great post!
Reply 18
Those'll be the ones doing doss courses because now they've realised it wasn't worth £9k a year to get drunk every night

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by skeptical_john

It is a means to an end. Top end employers ask for a degree. It is worth overpaying some institution that wants to milk you for every penny you have in order to get a better job. But that undergraduate course that institution runs is not value for your £9k.

Like a flat in London, no quality of brick, mortor and labour will ever justify such prices. But the location makes it worth it. If you didn't need to work in London you would never live there unless you are a pretentious douchebag who wants to show people how much better they are than everyone else. Why? Because unless you had a reason to be there it wouldn't be worth it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending