The Student Room Group

Family car within £8k budget

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by oliver_anderson
You've got a great list of cars, I'd personally choose between the Skoda and the Mazda for its value for money, and if i'd refine it a bit further I'd go in for the Skoda, for its reliable and studry diesel engines.

Recently, i came across carspring.co.uk which is an online dealership. They sell cars online, which saves time and hassel and offer 14 day money back guarantee if you're not satisfied.

Hope this is helpful to you :smile:

Cheers!

Thanks - it's where I've ended up. At the moment I'm looking at a 2012 Skoda Octavia TDI Elegance which is a 1.6 diesel.. fingers crossed!
Original post by Zerforax
Thanks - it's where I've ended up. At the moment I'm looking at a 2012 Skoda Octavia TDI Elegance which is a 1.6 diesel.. fingers crossed!

I probably would hold on to the money for a bit. No point paying that kind of money for a car that isn't a current model.
Look at something old and will value which will not depreciate, buying a 2nd hand car made in 2000-2015 is not a good idea you will just lose all your money on the car.
Reply 23
Original post by Alfissti
I probably would hold on to the money for a bit. No point paying that kind of money for a car that isn't a current model.

Well I'm buying a new car this summer. The price jump for the newer model is too much for me.

Original post by bobbybob12
Look at something old and will value which will not depreciate, buying a 2nd hand car made in 2000-2015 is not a good idea you will just lose all your money on the car.

I guess you'll be sticking to public transport then.

Thats right - I see no point wasting money on a car which will just loss value unless its a ferrari, lamb, rolls etc.
i'd suggest a efficient car like a skoda octavia or superb, volvo s40-s80 or a mercedes c/e class saloon or estate
my mentor bought a mercedes estate when he first moved to the uk from a dealership outright and it is 25 years old the only major part has been a head gasket and the camshaft belt
Reply 26
Original post by bobbybob12

Thats right - I see no point wasting money on a car which will just loss value unless its a ferrari, lamb, rolls etc.

Presumably to get the use out of it? It's like saying why buy a house?

Original post by jamesthehustler
i'd suggest a efficient car like a skoda octavia or superb, volvo s40-s80 or a mercedes c/e class saloon or estate
my mentor bought a mercedes estate when he first moved to the uk from a dealership outright and it is 25 years old the only major part has been a head gasket and the camshaft belt

Thanks - very helpful!

So I'm not paying off someone elses mortgage or ending up like half my generations going to end up renting their whole life and f'd-over by previous generations.

Thanks - very helpful!

What car did you end up buying? I was going to reply then I was you posted more than 2 years ago
Reply 29
Original post by waqas_hussain98
What car did you end up buying? I was going to reply then I was you posted more than 2 years ago

Bought a Skoda Octavia in the end!
Bought a Skoda Octavia in the end!

Is it running good? You still keeping it for a while or you going to change sson?
Reply 31
Original post by waqas_hussain98
Is it running good? You still keeping it for a while or you going to change sson?

Really liked the car/size and the drive of it (automatic). Unfortunately there was a potential problem with it so I sold it but did end up buying another Skoda Octavia.. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest