The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston university Vs Middlesex university

Hi everyone I am applying for engineering management at both Aston university and Middlesex university. i am a bit hesitating on which university to pick in term of toughness and did you guys enjoy being in either universities.Thanks x
I am an Aston old boy so will be biased. If living in the heart of an exciting city is your bag, then Aston it is. Aston is also a very vocational university. There are no arts students and not many ology students either. Placement years are actively encouraged which is a good thing. It is also a small campus based university and so very friendly. No idea about how tough your course will be, but I would choose whichever course is perceived to be the toughest.

Good luck!
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Aston
Original post by james_2015
Hi everyone I am applying for engineering management at both Aston university and Middlesex university. i am a bit hesitating on which university to pick in term of toughness and did you guys enjoy being in either universities.Thanks x

Hi there,

In terms of general league tables we rank 57 places higher than Middlesex in this years complete university guide.

We have also ranked in the top ten for graduate employability in the last ten years. The gap is also even greater when you look at subject specific rankings Aston is 23rd in the UK for it's Business And Management course where as Business Management is ranked 89th at Middlesex.

If you have any more questions about the course, Aston or Student Life i would be happy to help. :smile:

Josh
Reply 4
Original post by Aston University
Hi there,

In terms of general league tables we rank 57 places higher than Middlesex in this years complete university guide.

We have also ranked in the top ten for graduate employability in the last ten years. The gap is also even greater when you look at subject specific rankings Aston is 23rd in the UK for it's Business And Management course where as Business Management is ranked 89th at Middlesex.

If you have any more questions about the course, Aston or Student Life i would be happy to help. :smile:

Josh

Hi Mr.Josh
Actually yes i have a couple of questions regarding the modules

as for MSc in Engineering Management

Middlesex university offers 4 compulsory modules each is 30 credit plus a group project which is 60 credit

but for Aston university there are 10 Modules
7 of them are 10 credits
2 of them are 15 credit
1 of them is 20 credit
plus a dissertation which is 60 credit

so my question is isnt it harder to focus on 10 modules than 4 module
and can you please explain for me the credit system as I am still a bit confused about it .
and is it possible to inform me what is the arrangement to cover all of these modules . like is it going to be divided as 5 starting from Sep-Dec and the other 5 from Jan- April ?
Kind regards
James.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Depleted
Aston

Hi thanks for you reply
But any reasons for that please?

Thanks again
Reply 6
Hi thanks for you reply
But any reasons for that please?

Thanks again

As their account said above its ranked much higher than Middlesex, it's a fairly good location as well so I don't see any drawbacks to it really.
Reply 7
Original post by Depleted
As their account said above its ranked much higher than Middlesex, it's a fairly good location as well so I don't see any drawbacks to it really.

Thanks a lot mate for your reply .

:smile:
James.
Hi Mr.Josh
Actually yes i have a couple of questions regarding the modules

as for MSc in Engineering Management

Middlesex university offers 4 compulsory modules each is 30 credit plus a group project which is 60 credit

but for Aston university there are 10 Modules
7 of them are 10 credits
2 of them are 15 credit
1 of them is 20 credit
plus a dissertation which is 60 credit

so my question is isnt it harder to focus on 10 modules than 4 module
and can you please explain for me the credit system as I am still a bit confused about it .
and is it possible to inform me what is the arrangement to cover all of these modules . like is it going to be divided as 5 starting from Sep-Dec and the other 5 from Jan- April ?
Kind regards
James.

Mr Josh,

Haha i could get used to that. I understand your concerns here James let me give you a bit more insight. You can find more information on the course page here.

It looks like the module is split into two 6 month chunks, one with the theory side containing the majority of modules and one to focus on the dissertation project.

Looking at Middlesex's course, to the eye it does look a lot more simple, 4 modules with a 30 credit weighting, however those modules are similar to lumping together three of ours and placing them under a broader title.

The true difference will lie in the margin of error, if you fail 10 credits at Aston it's isolated within one module, if you fail 10 credits worth at Middlesex it will effect the other 20 credits worth and in turn be effected by the other 20 credits worth. This will either be a bad or a good thing depending on how you look at it.

The degree at Middlesex also has their 60 credit module as a group project, which means your grade will be effected by the quality and contributions of other people, rather than carrying out your own dissertation.

The true difference about the structure of these MSc seems to be in the level of control you have over your final grade.

I understand that might not be totally clear, so please feel free to get in touch if you want me to clarify anything further.
Reply 9
Original post by Aston University
Mr Josh,

Haha i could get used to that. I understand your concerns here James let me give you a bit more insight. You can find more information on the course page here.

It looks like the module is split into two 6 month chunks, one with the theory side containing the majority of modules and one to focus on the dissertation project.

Looking at Middlesex's course, to the eye it does look a lot more simple, 4 modules with a 30 credit weighting, however those modules are similar to lumping together three of ours and placing them under a broader title.

The true difference will lie in the margin of error, if you fail 10 credits at Aston it's isolated within one module, if you fail 10 credits worth at Middlesex it will effect the other 20 credits worth and in turn be effected by the other 20 credits worth. This will either be a bad or a good thing depending on how you look at it.

The degree at Middlesex also has their 60 credit module as a group project, which means your grade will be effected by the quality and contributions of other people, rather than carrying out your own dissertation.

The true difference about the structure of these MSc seems to be in the level of control you have over your final grade.

I understand that might not be totally clear, so please feel free to get in touch if you want me to clarify anything further.

Hi Mr.Josh
Thank you soooo much after reading your reply it actually make sense now.
the potential risk of having 10 different modules each weighting 10 credits is lower than having 4 modules each 30 credit. and also the having me doing my own dissertation i would have more control over my grades rather than having others affecting my grades.

I really appreciate your help

Kind regards
James

Quick Reply

Latest