The Student Room Group

Dissertation failed & removed from course - Advice Please

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a 3rd year student nurse. I completed all 3 years with no problem. I didn't fly academically but I passed everything. I failed a single essay which was the first essay in the first year after writing it on completely the wrong subject and on resit passed it. Thereafter everything has been passed and my ability as a nurse has been marked exceptionally high and have been signed fit to join the nursing register in January 2015.

Sadly in July 14 there was a problem with a tutor and when I made the university aware despite me asking for no action to be taken it was clear something had been said. Tutors attitudes changed towards and I was made to feel uncomfortable. I have since been advised the Dean did take action despite me specifically requesting that she did not do this and the person involved had a formal investigation carried out. The investigation stated the lecturer admitted her actions were wrong and the lecturer has been made to carry out activities to ensure the same mistake doesn't happen again.

However, during this time I have been doing my dissertation. They have given me four attempts. These attempts have been given as I have been unwell however the support on each attempt has been poor.

1st attempt - I was in hospital
2nd attempt - the academic supervisor failed to come back to me to provide me with supervision until the day my work was handed in as she had her dates mixed up. She also stated in an email, 'she was hesitant to advise as she was always concerned she would interpret the markers comments incorrectly.'
3rd attempt - Academic supervisor met me for one and half hours. When I asked for further support she advised she was at a loss as to how to help me any further.
4th attempt - When I met with the Dean to discuss ongoing issues relating to all of this I raised my concerns regarding my academic. I was advised to contact the academic supervisor and if she wouldn't help the Dean would arrange someone else. I contact me academic supervisor and she refused to help. I made the Dean aware but am still awaiting a response. This meant I had no supervision for my fourth and ultimately last attempt.

My first three attempts were marked by the same person hence each attempt I concentrated on where I was marked down. My marks were 20/100, 30/100 and 33/100. On my fourth attempt I received support from the disability team. I have confirmed disabilities which the university were made aware of prior to me starting the course and I am now aware I should have had support throughout the course, I only had this support on my 4th dissertation attempt. However, on my 4th attempt it was marked by somebody else and my mark DROPPED to 24/100. I looked at the comments and I was marked down on elements that had previously been marked as okay and had no negative comments on by the other marker.

The university sent an email advising me they were removing me from the course. I had placed mitigating circumstances as during a meeting with the Dean she had continuously discussed a 5th attempt as if it was a forgone conclusion. This upset me at the time as I felt the Dean spoke so confidently about me having a 5th attempt prior to me submitting the 4th it felt as though they were certain they were going to fail me.

Well, my mitigating circumstances were declined. I have tried to email both the Dean and my personal tutor since I received the information advising me I would be removed from the course with just a Diploma in Higher Education but neither have replied to my emails. I had my transcript through and for each module you need 40/100. My dissertation module was 39/100 and they have removed from the course preventing me from fulfilling my dream.

I have spoken to the NMC and they have confirmed you do not need the honours element to join the register. However, my university refuses to offer a degree without the honours. I have spoken to the RCN but they advised they cannot help as it was decided the RCN would only assist students with placement related issues as a union.

I have put in an appeal and am putting in a formal complaint but I am looking for any advice.

I am putting in complaints regarding the following :

a) the initial complaint regarding the tutor
b) complaint regarding academic supervisor
c) complaint against the Dean for acting on a complaint that I specifically requested wasn't acted upon for fear of repercussion
d) feeling of victimisation as a result of C
e) disability & discrimination - not being offered the support throughout the course in particular recently despite being continually open and honest with the uni.

I have been invited to graduation. Initially I was invited to graduation with my fellow students where I was advised I would be the only one to go up and receive a diploma. I didn't want to go and be further humiliated. On Friday I received my invited - however this invitation was to the Medical School Graduation. I've again been advised nobody else will be receiving a diploma but I can't understand why I've been invited to a graduation ceremony completely different to my fellow pupils.

To date I have lost five jobs as a qualified nurse. I have cried myself to sleep so many times I've lost count. If anybody has experienced anything similar I would be most grateful. If I wasn't capable and had failed consistently I wouldn't have a problem however these problems have only occurred since I made the uni aware of an issue with a member of staff (I only made them aware as this member of staff was going to marking me on a assignment) My own academic supervisor stated in an email dissertations were open to the interpretation of a marker and this was confirmed when my 4th attempt was marked by a different person and elements that were previously deemed as okay are now deemed as problematic and marked down - how can I win?

Any help or advice would be mostly appreciated.

Best Wishes

xxxx
Reply 1
Bump. (Sorry, I have no idea how to help, :frown:)
Original post by MsNurseUK
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I am a 3rd year student nurse. I completed all 3 years with no problem. I didn't fly academically but I passed everything. I failed a single essay which was the first essay in the first year after writing it on completely the wrong subject and on resit passed it. Thereafter everything has been passed and my ability as a nurse has been marked exceptionally high and have been signed fit to join the nursing register in January 2015.

Sadly in July 14 there was a problem with a tutor and when I made the university aware despite me asking for no action to be taken it was clear something had been said. Tutors attitudes changed towards and I was made to feel uncomfortable. I have since been advised the Dean did take action despite me specifically requesting that she did not do this and the person involved had a formal investigation carried out. The investigation stated the lecturer admitted her actions were wrong and the lecturer has been made to carry out activities to ensure the same mistake doesn't happen again.

However, during this time I have been doing my dissertation. They have given me four attempts. These attempts have been given as I have been unwell however the support on each attempt has been poor.

1st attempt - I was in hospital
2nd attempt - the academic supervisor failed to come back to me to provide me with supervision until the day my work was handed in as she had her dates mixed up. She also stated in an email, 'she was hesitant to advise as she was always concerned she would interpret the markers comments incorrectly.'
3rd attempt - Academic supervisor met me for one and half hours. When I asked for further support she advised she was at a loss as to how to help me any further.
4th attempt - When I met with the Dean to discuss ongoing issues relating to all of this I raised my concerns regarding my academic. I was advised to contact the academic supervisor and if she wouldn't help the Dean would arrange someone else. I contact me academic supervisor and she refused to help. I made the Dean aware but am still awaiting a response. This meant I had no supervision for my fourth and ultimately last attempt.

My first three attempts were marked by the same person hence each attempt I concentrated on where I was marked down. My marks were 20/100, 30/100 and 33/100. On my fourth attempt I received support from the disability team. I have confirmed disabilities which the university were made aware of prior to me starting the course and I am now aware I should have had support throughout the course, I only had this support on my 4th dissertation attempt. However, on my 4th attempt it was marked by somebody else and my mark DROPPED to 24/100. I looked at the comments and I was marked down on elements that had previously been marked as okay and had no negative comments on by the other marker.

The university sent an email advising me they were removing me from the course. I had placed mitigating circumstances as during a meeting with the Dean she had continuously discussed a 5th attempt as if it was a forgone conclusion. This upset me at the time as I felt the Dean spoke so confidently about me having a 5th attempt prior to me submitting the 4th it felt as though they were certain they were going to fail me.

Well, my mitigating circumstances were declined. I have tried to email both the Dean and my personal tutor since I received the information advising me I would be removed from the course with just a Diploma in Higher Education but neither have replied to my emails. I had my transcript through and for each module you need 40/100. My dissertation module was 39/100 and they have removed from the course preventing me from fulfilling my dream.

I have spoken to the NMC and they have confirmed you do not need the honours element to join the register. However, my university refuses to offer a degree without the honours. I have spoken to the RCN but they advised they cannot help as it was decided the RCN would only assist students with placement related issues as a union.

I have put in an appeal and am putting in a formal complaint but I am looking for any advice.

I am putting in complaints regarding the following :

a) the initial complaint regarding the tutor
b) complaint regarding academic supervisor
c) complaint against the Dean for acting on a complaint that I specifically requested wasn't acted upon for fear of repercussion
d) feeling of victimisation as a result of C
e) disability & discrimination - not being offered the support throughout the course in particular recently despite being continually open and honest with the uni.

I have been invited to graduation. Initially I was invited to graduation with my fellow students where I was advised I would be the only one to go up and receive a diploma. I didn't want to go and be further humiliated. On Friday I received my invited - however this invitation was to the Medical School Graduation. I've again been advised nobody else will be receiving a diploma but I can't understand why I've been invited to a graduation ceremony completely different to my fellow pupils.

To date I have lost five jobs as a qualified nurse. I have cried myself to sleep so many times I've lost count. If anybody has experienced anything similar I would be most grateful. If I wasn't capable and had failed consistently I wouldn't have a problem however these problems have only occurred since I made the uni aware of an issue with a member of staff (I only made them aware as this member of staff was going to marking me on a assignment) My own academic supervisor stated in an email dissertations were open to the interpretation of a marker and this was confirmed when my 4th attempt was marked by a different person and elements that were previously deemed as okay are now deemed as problematic and marked down - how can I win?

Any help or advice would be mostly appreciated.

Best Wishes

xxxx

they should be offering you a bsc without honours in clincal care or something not a diphe like they're saying at least.

do you have an academic advisor at your university Students union, their supposedly impartial and could help in your appeal? short of that maybe consult an educational lawyer on the disability support front, you might be able to sue the uni for disability discrimination under the equality act?
I m so sorry to hear this has happened to you :console:, i m starting my degree in september and have disabilities of sorts myself but if any academic staff arent supportive of this i ll do everything possible to fight it.
Also you can call up the equality and human rights commission for free advice, they should be able to tell you if you have a court case or not.
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/
Reply 4
Hi there can't help you really in exactly the same situation as you. My results are in on Wednesday. I have taken the legal route though and would say that its not for the faint hearted. It costs a fortune and as you have had four attempts I don't know what they could do for you. I am dyslexic and despite having an LPC "t was never implemented" I made a complaint against the treatment in Uni through internal measures and filed a case in the courts against the university, which I dropped because I was given another attempt with new topic and supervisor via the internal complaints path, the result of which I am waiting for!!!!!! I feel for you I really do this has taken over my life for so long now I just want to get it over with one way or another and move on with my life. The trouble is they all hide behind saying you can't appeal academic judgment but can you ask maybe that they check your marks if the are only off 1 percent!!! then make a complaint against the uni for not implementing your LPC, Disability discrimination is a serious breach of your human rights. I truly believe that if you have a problem with a tutor as I did in the first year. you a destined no matter how hard you work to fail. There is no rights anywhere for students the OIA were set up for students to have a right to complain and even they are funded by the universities and it is meant to be an impartial board its a joke. There is a group on fb students against OAI they might have some good advise for you hun. x
bump
Reply 6
Original post by buster12
Hi there can't help you really in exactly the same situation as you. My results are in on Wednesday. I have taken the legal route though and would say that its not for the faint hearted. It costs a fortune and as you have had four attempts I don't know what they could do for you. I am dyslexic and despite having an LPC "t was never implemented" I made a complaint against the treatment in Uni through internal measures and filed a case in the courts against the university, which I dropped because I was given another attempt with new topic and supervisor via the internal complaints path, the result of which I am waiting for!!!!!! I feel for you I really do this has taken over my life for so long now I just want to get it over with one way or another and move on with my life. The trouble is they all hide behind saying you can't appeal academic judgment but can you ask maybe that they check your marks if the are only off 1 percent!!! then make a complaint against the uni for not implementing your LPC, Disability discrimination is a serious breach of your human rights. I truly believe that if you have a problem with a tutor as I did in the first year. you a destined no matter how hard you work to fail. There is no rights anywhere for students the OIA were set up for students to have a right to complain and even they are funded by the universities and it is meant to be an impartial board its a joke. There is a group on fb students against OAI they might have some good advise for you hun. x

Oh my goodness Buster12, I'm so sorry to hear that you have faced similar difficulties. I would wish this experience on my own worst enemy ~ it is truly horrible. I shall most certainly look in to everything you have suggested above.
I shall keep me fingers crossed for you and hope you have good news on Wednesday. Please keep me posted, I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Thanks again x
This is such a horrible situation to be in I really feel for you. I honestly believe many unis place too much emphasis on the academic rather than the practical. My own uni (for radiotherapy rather than nursing) has recently undergone changes because they were finding academic students who struggled on placement were managing to graduate with 1st class and vice versa.

I'm sure you've probably already looked into this but I thought it worth asking! Is your dissertation module compensatable? At my uni the dissertation module can actually be compensated, so as long as we have an overall pass mark of 40% for the course, as long as we have achieved at least 30% in some modules we still gain the credits and overall award.

I can't believe they are refusing to let you graduate with a 'normal' degree. Especially as this would still allow you to register :frown:
Reply 8
You should read things like the complaint, appeals, and disability procedures of the university from start to finish. They need to have failed to follow something in their written material which would have had a real effect on your results. Also don't concentrate on the first three attempts so much, as those have already been taken care of by the resit. Focus on the final attempt, go through the chronology, all the email evidence, identify any procedural failures or any evidence of bias by your tutor which you can prove. By the sounds of it there ought to enough grounds for you to have a good case.
Reply 9
Hi, I'm not sure I can offer advice, however I thought I could inform you of my similar situation. I am a third year student nurse, I was supposed to qualify in March, however I have one outstanding essay, I was diagnosed with dyslexia in august and was unable to apply for dsa or a tutor because I was too near to the end of my course. I have had 3 attempts and have had to appeal for a further attempt which I am waiting on a decision.
1st attempt - I was refused support because my marking tutor was going on annual leave - 31%
2nd attempt - I received support, told my tutor I was dyslexic but She kept giving me advice and then going back on what she said - 31%, I then asked for another tutor because I realised this one was never going to pass me, I was refused, I asked another tutor to look at my essay who saw there was a lot more problems than my original tutor told me, but I was still told I had received too much support.
3rd attempt - same result 31%, three completely different essays.

Student union have supported me through submitting the appeal but I've been waiting about 7 weeks now, after phoning them constantly, I have still had no response. Does anyone know the appeal process? I feel like I have been let down and discriminated against.
I have also been invited to my graduation and awarded a diploma in health studies. Total pointless. I have been offered 2 nursing jobs which I can't take because I haven't had this result through yet, and no one will take me on as a healthcare assistant because I am 'too qualified' so it's just a waiting game!
Hi Gem120,

I'm in the same situation as you. I was wondering how it all went, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks
Have you considered that maybe nursing isn't for you?
You have kept trying at it, which is very honorable. But if you have not succeeded generally academically over the 3 years, and can't pass your dissertation with 4 tries. That would ring bells for me personally.
You can still get a job in health care, if you want to do something similar like clinical healthcare assistant.
Sorry the comment isn't in support, but I feel you should view it objectively. The university system isn't out to get you, most likely - and they are within their reason (I would imagine) after all those attempts. You have had quite a fair bit of support and chances by the sounds of it.
Original post by hellodave5
Have you considered that maybe nursing isn't for you?
You have kept trying at it, which is very honorable. But if you have not succeeded generally academically over the 3 years, and can't pass your dissertation with 4 tries. That would ring bells for me personally.
You can still get a job in health care, if you want to do something similar like clinical healthcare assistant.
Sorry the comment isn't in support, but I feel you should view it objectively. The university system isn't out to get you, most likely - and they are within their reason (I would imagine) after all those attempts. You have had quite a fair bit of support and chances by the sounds of it.

Hi Dave,

in my case, I just had a bad period, and was failed twice on my final placement. If I'm asking if there any routes on which to continue nursing it's not because I've haven't got anything else to do.
My record over the 3 years has been good, been withdrawn form the course because of twice being failed on my final placement. Appealed, and rejected on it.
Fact of the matter is, I do not want to see 3 years of blood and sweat for the course go to waste, I passed everything of the course besides the final placement.

I will start with HCA working soon, in the meanwhile I'd like to see if there's any way I can move forward with nursing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't understand why they haven't granted you the degree without honors as that is what you should receive if you have failed your dissertation. Which Universities are these at which you have not received your degree without honors? As that is shameful behavior on their part! Especially since you do not need the honors to receive your Nursing pin!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by chris1505
Hi Gem120,

I'm in the same situation as you. I was wondering how it all went, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Chris, I have recently found out that I passed my degree, if you let me know your exact situation, I will offer you my best advice and the exact situation of what I went through. Nursing isn't about being academically clever, it's about whether you can nurse and have the right skills. I personally would avoid any negative comments. You can't teach someone how to nurse by writing an essay, I will get this message across to everyone someday
Original post by Gem120
Hi Chris, I have recently found out that I passed my degree, if you let me know your exact situation, I will offer you my best advice and the exact situation of what I went through. Nursing isn't about being academically clever, it's about whether you can nurse and have the right skills. I personally would avoid any negative comments. You can't teach someone how to nurse by writing an essay, I will get this message across to everyone someday

Did you pass without or with honors? Congratulations by the way! I'm glad your situation is sorted!
Reply 16
Original post by bigsmoke
Did you pass without or with honors? Congratulations by the way! I'm glad your situation is sorted!

With honours, thank you!!
Sorry to hear your predicament and I agree that you don't need to pass the dissertation in order to receive your pin. You do say though that you've lost five jobs as a registered nurse. That makes it sound like you are registered, so why have you been through five jobs? Bit confused!
Original post by lilibet01
Sorry to hear your predicament and I agree that you don't need to pass the dissertation in order to receive your pin. You do say though that you've lost five jobs as a registered nurse. That makes it sound like you are registered, so why have you been through five jobs? Bit confused!

I would also like to know this.
If you want to study in future, do group chat with the whole class. Talk to your class mates more. I already knew dissertation is optional from chain of friends friends from different branch of nursing. I also seat with my classmates to do coursework. Wish you luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending