The Student Room Group

Really dont know what to go on and study?

Im interested in the sciences and mathematics. At A level i will be taking physics, maths and biology. My targets at the moment are A's in these subjects. I still dont really know what course to go for. I have an interest in all of these but i want to do a degree which will actually help me a lot in the long term and get me a high paid job. Has anyone got any examples of courses which will give me a lot of options for jobs once ive finished university and jobs where this degree is in demand?

Thanks
Original post by liverpool2044
Im interested in the sciences and mathematics. At A level i will be taking physics, maths and biology. My targets at the moment are A's in these subjects. I still dont really know what course to go for. I have an interest in all of these but i want to do a degree which will actually help me a lot in the long term and get me a high paid job. Has anyone got any examples of courses which will give me a lot of options for jobs once ive finished university and jobs where this degree is in demand?

Thanks

Have you thought about something like radiography. You are doing the right subjects for entry and there is a shortage of radiographers nationwide, with wide range for career progression.

I'm a second year radiotherapy student at BCU so if you want to ask anything just ask. Good luck with whatever you choose x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lindsay2910
Have you thought about something like radiography. You are doing the right subjects for entry and there is a shortage of radiographers nationwide, with wide range for career progression.

I'm a second year radiotherapy student at BCU so if you want to ask anything just ask. Good luck with whatever you choose x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the recommendation ill look in to it! Do you know like the average wage in this sort of field or does it range too much?
Thanks for the recommendation ill look in to it! Do you know like the average wage in this sort of field or does it range too much?

any graduate nhs profession can start at 21k (not including medicine and dentistry) and if you progress to a consultant you could be looking at 60k maybe more but it takes years to get to that stage.
are you quite a practical person or are you more passionate about the theoretical side of sciences?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
any graduate nhs profession can start at 21k (not including medicine and dentistry) and if you progress to a consultant you could be looking at 60k maybe more but it takes years to get to that stage.
are you quite a practical person or are you more passionate about the theoretical side of sciences?

That sounds good, probably the theoretical side of science. I was thinking about foundation year medicine but i dont know the unis that would take me on
That sounds good, probably the theoretical side of science. I was thinking about foundation year medicine but i dont know the unis that would take me on

i m not sure if they allow you to take a foundation year if you ve got good grades in science a levels but didnt meet their requirements but the people on the medicine forum will have a much better idea than me. However, medicine is very practical so if your more theoretical then maybe you might prefer medical research instead?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
i m not sure if they allow you to take a foundation year if you ve done science a levels but the people on the medicine forum will have a much better idea than me. However, medicine is very practical so if your more theoretical then maybe you might prefer medical research instead?

Ah right okay, what courses would you suggest me to look at if i went on to do medical research?
Ah right okay, what courses would you suggest me to look at if i went on to do medical research?

depends what in, this isnt really my expertise but courses like biomedicine and biochemistry come to mind

Quick Reply

Latest