The Student Room Group

What rule do I use for C3 Differentiation? (OCR)

I know the three rules itself
1. Product: To differentiate multiplied X values
2. Quotient: To Differentiate fraction
3. Chain: To differentiate large equations
But whenever given a question about differentiation I don't know what to do. Usually the thought process with the question is asking myself if it one rule or the other rule (Usually Product and Chain). I remember being given an equation to differentiate brackets
y=((f(x)))^n
d/dx=n((f(x)))^n-1
Although sometimes you have to use chain rule to differentiate brackets like (3x-1)^4 but not for other brackets like (x-5)^1/2.
But whyy!
Can someone explain this an easy way to know when to use the rules? It would make it alot more easy in the future where I will have to use multiple rules for differentiation questions in C3
Original post by Fruitbasket786
But whenever given a question about differentiation I don't know what to do. Usually the thought process with the question is asking myself if it one rule or the other rule (Usually Product and Chain). I remember being given an equation to differentiate brackets
y=((f(x)))^n
d/dx=n((f(x)))^n-1
Although sometimes you have to use chain rule to differentiate brackets like (3x-1)^4 but not for other brackets like (x-5)^1/2.
But whyy!
Can someone explain this an easy way to know when to use the rules? It would make it alot more easy in the future where I will have to use multiple rules for differentiation questions in C3

Chain rule is for when you have "a function of a function", e.g:

(3x32)4(3x^3 -2)^4

Product rule is for when you have functions multiplied together, e.g:

e2x(4x22)3e^{2x}(4x^2-2)^3

Quotient rule is for when you have functions being divided, e.g.:

2x512x2\dfrac{2x^5}{1-2x^2}
Original post by lizard54142
Chain rule is for when you have "a function of a function", e.g:

(3x32)4(3x^3 -2)^4

Product rule is for when you have functions multiplied together, e.g:

e2x(4x22)3e^{2x}(4x^2-2)^3

Quotient rule is for when you have functions being divided, e.g.:

2x512x2\dfrac{2x^5}{1-2x^2}

Thanks! I think I got it, time to get to practicing them
Reply 3
y=((f(x)))^n
d/dx=n((f(x)))^n-1
But whyy!

Because then you differentiate 3x you have 3 left over. For x -5 one x differentiated to 1 so no need.
Original post by iAmanze
Because then you differentiate 3x you have 3 left over. For x -5 one x differentiated to 1 so no need.

So you use the chain rule when there's a coefficient of x?

Just use the chain rule in all cases, otherwise you'll get confused with all these exceptions.

Basically what iAmanze is saying is that the derivative of the bracketed terms is 1, so you can differentiate it by inspection.
Reply 6

Yes. Otherwise just differentiate as normal, ignoring the (x +/- c) part.
Original post by iAmanze
Yes. Otherwise just differentiate as normal, ignoring the (x +/- c) part.

Alright, coolio!

Original post by lizard54142
Just use the chain rule in all cases, otherwise you'll get confused with all these exceptions.

Basically what iAmanze is saying is that the derivative of the bracketed terms is 1, so you can differentiate it by inspection.

I know that chain rule will work for any bracket but I can use the chain rule anyway just to check if it's correct.

Quick Reply

Latest