The Student Room Group

I want to get help for my depression but I'm worried I will be removed from my course

I have become very depressed since having my son who is now 19 months old. I'm not bonding with him, I am so lonely, tired from the sadness and I am almost certain I have depression.
I really want to go to the doctor but I am training to be a social worker ( something I've always wanted to do) and I'm worried I will be asked to leave the course until I'm better and will never be considered fit for practice. This would depress me even more even if I was getting proffesionnal support. I also worry that going to the doctor will make me no better. I hate where i live as I'm not near any friends, haven't met someone to spend my life with so am lonely, and I have little support with my son so life is tiring. These cant be changed with therapy. However, i was always a very happy person when I had much less so I do think I may be sad most because of clinical depression. I would like to have the opportunity to get help.

At the moment I only have 100 days of practice placement left and then I am qualified. I have not been given my placement yet and it could Be a few weekuntil I am, then it will be five months of placement. Should I just wait until My course has finished and I am qualified? Will a diagnosis of depression impact on my employability as a social worker? Would my uni even find out?

I feel more than capable of doing my placement. In fact it will make me feel better as I am occupied I always feel happier when I'm busy And around people.

Prior to this I had never even been to a GP before and had no illnesses what so ever hence I passed the initial medical questionnaire completely
Original post by Mezza362
I have become very depressed since having my son who is now 19 months old. I'm not bonding with him, I am so lonely, tired from the sadness and I am almost certain I have depression.
I really want to go to the doctor but I am training to be a social worker ( something I've always wanted to do) and I'm worried I will be asked to leave the course until I'm better and will never be considered fit for practice. This would depress me even more even if I was getting proffesionnal support. I also worry that going to the doctor will make me no better. I hate where i live as I'm not near any friends, haven't met someone to spend my life with so am lonely, and I have little support with my son so life is tiring. These cant be changed with therapy. However, i was always a very happy person when I had much less so I do think I may be sad most because of clinical depression. I would like to have the opportunity to get help.

At the moment I only have 100 days of practice placement left and then I am qualified. I have not been given my placement yet and it could Be a few weekuntil I am, then it will be five months of placement. Should I just wait until My course has finished and I am qualified? Will a diagnosis of depression impact on my employability as a social worker? Would my uni even find out?

I feel more than capable of doing my placement. In fact it will make me feel better as I am occupied I always feel happier when I'm busy And around people.

Prior to this I had never even been to a GP before and had no illnesses what so ever hence I passed the initial medical questionnaire completely

I think you definitely need to go to the doctor and talk about it. I don't think it will affect your work (a family member of mind in currently on anti-depressants and has been for the past two years, their superiors know, and nothing about their job has changed).
Reply 2
Original post by HuggleyDuck
I think you definitely need to go to the doctor and talk about it. I don't think it will affect your work (a family member of mind in currently on anti-depressants and has been for the past two years, their superiors know, and nothing about their job has changed).

Do you know if I would have to tell my uni course? Do you have to write in on a job application?
Reply 3
Hey,

Your Uni will help you, they will not judge you or tell you to leave. Everyone needs a bit of help sometimes, and university is hard enough without having the commitments that you have.
Please get help. It may only be extended assignments or alternative assessments, but they will help.

For the sake of your son and your own health please visit your doctor or inform your university welfare officer who will help you x
Do you know if I would have to tell my uni course? Do you have to write in on a job application?

No, you don't have to tell anyone and definitely don't have to put it on a job application.
Reply 5
Original post by HuggleyDuck
No, you don't have to tell anyone and definitely don't have to put it on a job application.

Thank you. :-)

I've just finished my first year in Social Work and I have mental health problems. I've had to disclose them to the Occupational Health service but there has been no problems with them not letting me continue with studies. I was in psychiatric hospital due to a psychotic episode part way through the year and they still let me come back.

As I'm sure you know, placement can be really stressful, and trust me, working in a stressful atmosphere (I used to work in a CMHT) when unwell is even more stressful, and can really damage your mental health further.

I would urge you to seek help now, talk to your GP and/or your uni welfare service and get the help before placement, so you can start to feel better and give it your all. :smile:
Legally, they can't just throw you off the course because you have depression. If you're a danger to yourself and /or others, (which they have to justify) they can. But depression in itself isn't reason enough for them to just throw you off the course.

you would have to tell occupational health but if they show any signs of discriminating against you then the equality act is there to protect you. they're there to make sure you are safe and healthy and you re not a risk to anyone, as long as you get appropriate support i wouldnt worry about anything:smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Post natal depression is not something to be taken lightly. Please visit your GP and get some help because then you'll be in a much better frame of mind to cope with the stress of studying alongside raising your child. Universities cannot discriminate against you because you suffer from depression and although you do not have to disclose your mental health condition, it may be very helpful for you to do so as your university can do their best to support you.

Quick Reply

Latest