The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mathsqueen
HELL YEAH YOU MADE A BIG MISTAKE!

We have to go through the new A levels now.

But, I obviously don't blame you, many others voted.

just a couple million - sorry
Original post by scrotgrot
Well you see properly rich people don't have to do any work. I know, I know, it goes against all the propaganda you've swallowed, but it's reality.

(Not that I believe for one second he runs this business)

That's not the issue at hand.

It's perfectly do-able for everyone to spend 14 hours a day on TSR, divided between sitting on the phone at work and spending miserable hours in front of your monitor at home.

I'm just mocking the fact that he sits here from the morning to the night posting reputation-baits on the forum consistently to enlarge his e-penis.
there 'hard working people' campaign really struck a nerve with a lot of voters. it seemed there ideology was mostly driven towards reducing welfare and the state in general. they pretend that they were on your side, as a 'hard working tax payer', getting you to scorn your fellow man whos less well off. In the end they have only self interest towards the few that really benefit from there ideologies. They are the selfservitive ministry of hate.
Original post by MatureStudent36
Scared your benefits will be cut and you'll have to work?

Is that your actual intelligent response?

Well done.
Original post by SotonianOne
I rounded it up to make it easier to calculate. There's no difference to anyone below that. Do you even maths?

15k the person would still be in the same situation, just less disposable income. The surplus from 2010 is still there.

Where do you even live to consider 20k a lot? Rural Highlands?

This is hilarious....
You are just too far detached.
Original post by Twinpeaks
This is hilarious....

he hasn't found a job yet, still trying to become a mod.
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
there 'hard working people' campaign really struck a nerve with a lot of voters. it seemed there ideology was mostly driven towards reducing welfare and the state in general. they pretend that they were on your side, as a 'hard working tax payer', getting you to scorn your fellow man whos less well off. In the end they have only self interest towards the few that really benefit from there ideologies. They are the selfservitive ministry of hate.

What's funny is that the people who are most vulnerable to suffering under a Tory government are now holding similar views to the detached Tory voters such as SotonianOne.

I've just this second viewed a post on my FB page where a young mother was incredibly frustrated that a joint income of £14k a year meant they earn too much to receive tax credits.

That's the Tories. However, they then went on to complain about the jobless Joe Bloggs who does nothing all day and has 35k a year (I've never personally encountered one of these?). And also that all the support is going to the "Polish workers who send all their money back home".

It's so strange. These people are vulnerable to the propaganda of the likes of Benefits Streer, yet they are the ones who will be hurt most under a Tory government.

Only a minority of people receiving benefits are fraudsters. It's strange how people don't seem to realise that. By all means punish the fraudsters, every Labour voter would agree with that. But try not to punish every person who honestly claims governmental support in the process.
Original post by ThePlanck
Does it really matter who we vote for? We end up hating whoever gets in anyway after a couple of years.

This is so true, the Brits look for any excuse to complain about politicians, It's hardly like the coalition was complaint free or Labour before them. (I didn't vote Tory, or UKIP)
am I the only one who detects a troll
What's funny is that the people who are most vulnerable to suffering under a Tory government are now holding similar views to the detached Tory voters such as SotonianOne.

I've just this second viewed a post on my FB page where a young mother was incredibly frustrated that a joint income of £14k a year meant they earn too much to receive tax credits.

That's the Tories. However, they then went on to complain about the jobless Joe Bloggs who does nothing all day and has 35k a year (I've never personally encountered one of these?). And also that all the support is going to the "Polish workers who send all their money back home".

It's so strange. These people are vulnerable to the propaganda of the likes of Benefits Streer, yet they are the ones who will be hurt most under a Tory government.

Only a minority of people receiving benefits are fraudsters. It's strange how people don't seem to realise that. By all means punish the fraudsters, every Labour voter would agree with that. But try not to punish every person who honestly claims governmental support in the process.

Divide and rule.

media monopolies are largely to blame. Not great for democracy when so much false information is out there on places like the daily mail, mirror etc.
This is hilarious....

less than a quarter of people live on less than 15k and the 15k - 20k bracket which a person earning 20k gross would be in is just below average. and that number is inflated by pensioners. facts are on my side.

unless you obviously do not see the difference between earning 17 000 and 25 000 net income because it's just a car..
Original post by SotonianOne
less than a quarter of people live on less than 15k and the 15k - 20k bracket which a person earning 20k gross would be in is just below average. and that number is inflated by pensioners. facts are on my side.

unless you obviously do not see the difference between earning 17 000 and 25 000 net income because it's just a car..

English please.

I'm not detached.

I'm not a Tory voter and I'm open to new parties.

The mother was complaining about her own income being too high? K.

That's the Tories. However, they then went on to complain about the jobless Joe Bloggs who does nothing all day and has 35k a year (I've never personally encountered one of these?).

I did.

And also that all the support is going to the "Polish workers who send all their money back home".

Mistaking Tories for UKIP a bit?

So when are you going to realise that losing public services does not equal losing personal wealth? Depending on where you get your information, anyone earning above 21.5 - 30k is better off under Conservative plans. That's the majority.

Only a minority of people receiving benefits are fraudsters. It's strange how people don't seem to realise that.

Have you done a national survey?

By all means punish the fraudsters, every Labour voter would agree with that. But try not to punish every person who honestly claims governmental support in the process.

It doesn't matter whether you honestly claim 5k or honestly claim 30k. The point raised is that in many cases the welfare is too high and unsustainable, not whether what you claim is legitimate in the legal system.

Many people are finally realising that Britain's public spending is simply too high. Regardless of whether you believe in social responsibility or not it is unsustainable at this level.

You can even be a pacifist and remove the entire defence budget and we're still too high. You can argue as much as you want against "non-sympathy" with poor people and "non-sympathy" with the sick but this country has been living beyond it's means for the last 15/20 years. It's like when you're a graduate hoping to become a high-wage manager in the future but you already spend like one while working in retail.

Tough choices need to be made regardless of what your ideology is - unless your ideology is to break this country, in which case you can argue against deficit reduction.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Bill_Gates
English please.

elaborate
it's a self fulfilling prophecy

people say things will be bad under tories, and we manifest that reality

even if things are better than ever, our perceptions cannot change.

the truth is, this is the greatest time in human history to be alive, with more opportunities, technology, information, ideas than ever before being presented to us
(edited 8 years ago)
welfare cuts - proposed for housing and working tax credits which will destroy the working poor
destruction of the nhs
television has suddenly become a game of hate
immigration rules - nurses etc
increased homelessness - food banks
the list just goes on, the rhetoric is horrible.

Welfare cuts are absolutely necessary, we can't go on forever unless you want your country to be the Greece of Northern Europe.

NHS won't be going anywhere, it will just improve and be made more agile and efficient in the next 5 years. No cuts in real terms has taken place the last 5 years and none will happen in the next 5 years, the Tories are not stupid.

TV :- Don't watch it?? I've stopped watching British TV since Top Gear was taken off air.

Immigration must be controlled, we should have quality over quantity.

Increased homelessness? I highly doubt that.
media monopolies are largely to blame. Not great for democracy when so much false information is out there on places like the daily mail, mirror etc.

Which media monopoly?
Reply 98
welfare cuts - proposed for housing and working tax credits which will destroy the working poor
destruction of the nhs
television has suddenly become a game of hate
immigration rules - nurses etc
increased homelessness - food banks
the list just goes on, the rhetoric is horrible.

Leaving aside the fact that obviously your vote made not the slightest difference whatsoever ( except to a pedant) ,don't you realise that the Tories will,as a result of what they are doing,become even more hated than they already are?
If Labour had gained power they would probably have been booted out in 2020 because now is not the right time for a Labour government.
The Tories are odds on- yes odds on -NOT to win another majority in 2020.
Hopefully that should cheer you up a bit.
Yes 5 years is such a long time when you're young.But when you are 45 you will look back and laugh at this.
( At least I hope so or else it will likely mean you've died prematurely ...which would put all this in perspective,so win win)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by democracyforum
it's a self fulfilling prophecy

people say things will be bad under tories, and we manifest that reality

even if things are better than ever, our perceptions cannot change.

the truth is, this is the greatest time in human history to be alive, with more opportunities, technology, information, ideas than ever before being presented to us

And as well as this ,just imagine the billions of people around the world who would LOVE the chance to live in our 'awful' circumstances.

I'm not having a go at anyone on here,really I'm not,especially not the OP,but you know sometimes when I read all the incessant complaints about our government I do wonder just how our pampered citizens would ever make it in the 'real' world.

It increasingly seems to me that the politics of the privileged Western World is merely a load of ungrateful, people whining.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest