The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Internet in halls

Hi,

So I'm about to be buying a new laptop to take to Birmingham with me in September. I was just looking on the accommodation pages and it implies that all halls have internet on an ethernet basis but it they also have wireless. The laptop I'm thinking of getting doesn't have an ethernet port and I was wondering if anyone knows how fast/reliable the wireless is in the halls? Not being able to use the ethernet isn't going to be a problem past the first year but if the wireless really is awful then I'll need to change my plans.

Thanks in advance!
Not sure about Birmingham, but you can buy USB to Ethernet adapters to let your laptop connect via Ethernet. :smile:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-20-to-ethernet-adapter-a31gy
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by stainedglasseyes
Hi,

So I'm about to be buying a new laptop to take to Birmingham with me in September. I was just looking on the accommodation pages and it implies that all halls have internet on an ethernet basis but it they also have wireless. The laptop I'm thinking of getting doesn't have an ethernet port and I was wondering if anyone knows how fast/reliable the wireless is in the halls? Not being able to use the ethernet isn't going to be a problem past the first year but if the wireless really is awful then I'll need to change my plans.

Thanks in advance!

You won't need an Ethernet cable, I used one at first but then realised that it didn't make a difference whether it was connected through the cable or through wi-fi.

The internet was fine most of the time, sometimes there was downtime and it could be slow (which was to be expected given the mass number of students using it).

They were giving out free Ethernet cables when I moved into Pritchatts Park. I assume it is similar for all the halls, so don't worry about buying one :smile:
i was in maple bank first year, wifi was good apart from one weekend when they had maintenance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending