The Student Room Group

Fear of my life amounting to nothing?

I have this fear or phobia of my life amounting to nothing. I'm scared of not meeting my dreams, my wanted career due to competition and its industry. I'm scared of being direction-less to where when all of my mates have graduated from university beginning their careers, I would be nothing as though I may go to uni- it's not because it can help with my career but entering this industry (music) is a gamble. I'm terrified of being 30 with nothing, unhappy with where they are in life and realising maybe it's time to settle down but yet realising I wasted years of my life.
That's a fear everyone has at some point. The only thing I can do is to quote the late Robin Williams. "Seize the day." None of our lives mean anything unless we go out and MAKE them mean something. If you want something to happen I'm sure you can go and make sure it does. You need a little bit of self confidence, which can all start with a single move forward.
Original post by ThePlanck
That's a fear everyone has at some point. The only thing I can do is to quote the late Robin Williams. "Seize the day." None of our lives mean anything unless we go out and MAKE them mean something. If you want something to happen I'm sure you can go and make sure it does. You need a little bit of self confidence, which can all start with a single move forward.

I agree with this, in a way. I've had this fear before, and I still have it every so often and it's terrifying. I think you need to remember that your career doesn't have to be your entire life, and if you want to have your life mean something then it should include a lot of things that mean something to you - for some people it means travelling, or having a family. If you aren't working in your ideal career then it isn't the end of the world, it doesn't mean you'll be worthless - it doesn't even mean you'll be unhappy.
Another point is that if you aren't in your idea career immediately or shortly after university, it doesn't mean you never will be. You might get involved with it in some way after you turn 30, would that mean any less?
Op, I sometimes feel the same, there I so much pressure on us these days, its like one mistake(your career choice) could affect you for the rest of your life.

It is a gamble to have a career in the music industry but if you are passionate about music and enjoy it everything should flow accordingly because you will give in your all to make it.
Can't you do something on the side to give yourself a bit of a safety net?
Yeah basically you could try and work/focus on a vocation, and build up your music on the side. Music is like art, you just have to sit down and produce some - no competition with others there, just make something that you like. Whether or not it gets published will depend on how good it is on its own merits.
Well, first is to be realistic. You can imagine sitting in the booth producing with one direction or whoever wanting to be the 'coolest' cat by telling people what you do for a living and all the hanging around with Nick Grimshaw and working at Radio 1 and knowing lots of celebrities.

So key to that is being in the right place i.e. London and New York getting to know people and getting to be in the right places at the right time.

There shouldn't be a problem getting into the music industry and remember it is a conveyor belt and so you wouldn't really be getting anywhere until you are about 30 and you start making moves through connections and experience.

Really though, so what if you don't get to do something, soon enough you will have a partner and a young family to contend with, and they won't care for what you do other than you being there and loving them and even if that means stacking shelves as that is life but if you have a good head on your shoulders then you should be able to do something better and more interesting than staring at shelves on minimum wage.

I think the best thing is to keep calm and be modest and not expect to much too quickly and think about what they want and how you can apply yourself and get those transferable skills and take your time and see that there are plenty of opportunities and you will get your chance.
Original post by Cherry82
I have this fear or phobia of my life amounting to nothing. I'm scared of not meeting my dreams, my wanted career due to competition and its industry. I'm scared of being direction-less to where when all of my mates have graduated from university beginning their careers, I would be nothing as though I may go to uni- it's not because it can help with my career but entering this industry (music) is a gamble. I'm terrified of being 30 with nothing, unhappy with where they are in life and realising maybe it's time to settle down but yet realising I wasted years of my life.

its a natural thing to happen ppl just think more of it leading to more fear being created or phobia...don't think like that at all..it may be a gamble but its well worth a try...if u don't take the risk a few years time u'll think why didn't I take the opportunity when it was in front of u...there are many students starting uni..some certain with their degree they will be studying...some not certain hoping it will start their future career off
Original post by Cherry82

You're not the only one who is afraid of that. Just try to figure out what you want to do and how you are going to do it, there is no point worrying about it and not doing anything about it. Take it slow and take your time, it will come to you eventually. And people change their careers half way through their life, so if you come across that situation, you can get help and advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending