The Student Room Group

Should women be allowed to be Police officers?

I am not trying to be sexist, but I just think it is ridiculous that women are allowed to be police officers, when they can be easily overpowered by men, as it is fact that men on average are genetically stronger than females.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2757739/Kick-boxer-wrestles-thug-ground-seeing-attack-two-WPCs.html - 2 policewomen overpowered by one guy who isn't that big

I've seen numerous stories in UK and US of policewomen not being able to manage one guy on their own and having to wait for a male police officer to help them do their job
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not trying to be sexist, but it seems ridiculous how there are women police officers, when they can be so easily overpowered. Two police women couldn't even manage one guy in this story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2757739/Kick-boxer-wrestles-thug-ground-seeing-attack-two-WPCs.html
If they are qualified and not pandered to I see no problem.
Reply 3
"I'm not trying to be sexist, but..."
You just gotta love the Daily Mail, bringing bulls**t like this up again.
Of course they should. 50% of the people they police are women. Are you suggesting that male police officers are never overpowered? Are you suggesting that all policing is about overpowering strong men? Are you suggesting that there is no role in policing for women?

I think you need to stop reading the sensationalist (anything for a cheap story) Daily Fail and start opening your eyes instead.
Original post by tk1993
"I'm not trying to be sexist, but..."

"I'm not sexist but sexual dimorphism..."
Original post by IAMADAM27

I assume it is that the story is in the news again because the lad has just received an award.
I remember the video at the time. It was woefully embarrassing the inability of the two female officers to get control of the guy.
Without the teenage boy stepping in he would have been away on his toes.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IAMADAM27

Sorry but how is it bullsxxt? The lad has been given an award and it is news.
Either gender could be easily overpowered/outrun if they are out of shape. The logical solution is for there to be a fitness test, and not some sort of gender requirement.

You are cherry picking. I could probably find a story about a fat male officer being outrun if I wanted to.
Original post by caravaggio2
Sorry but how is it bullsxxt? The lad has been given an award and it is news.

damn you were so mad you came back twice after 25 mins to quote the same post rofl.
I always see a lot of female officers around here and they're no Brien of Tarth. :biggrin: Men are more suited for this job just like they're more suited for lifting furniture up the stairs....

However saying there shouldn't be any is silly.
Double thread?
I think anyone should be allowed to be a police officer, provided that their speed measuring equipment is confiscated. I considered a job in the police when I was younger but I decided to go on the dole for a while instead.
People should be hired on the ability to perform the role, regardless of sex. This will probably mean the vast majority of police officers will be men, but so be it. If you're at a genetic disadvantage, then tough - you should find something you are more suited to.
90% of policing does not involve overpowering anybody. There's no sense in excluding all women based on the small amount of policing that does.
I think they should be allowed. As Arbolus said, a lot of work excludes physical activity and therefore women wouldn't be at a disadvantage. Plus, if only men were police officers there would be difficulties with dealing with female prisoners etc (like searching them etc)
What a silly question...of course not.
Original post by ByEeek

I think you need to stop reading the sensationalist (anything for a cheap story) Daily Fail and start opening your eyes instead.

Funny you should say that. I remember that the Daily Mail changed the video after 1hr and replaced it with the edited version you see today. It was cut to make the two women look less incompetent than they were.
Now why would they do that do you think? Hardly sensationalist, if anything the opposite.
And would they do the same if it was two male coppers cocking up an arrest?
(edited 8 years ago)
the women can stay in the office and do the paperwork.

Latest

Trending

Trending