The Student Room Group

Questions about PPE

Hello everyone, I just finished my last A2 exam and now I have time to focus on the choice that I took few months ago. I applied to study Architecture at the university of Bath and got the offer(A*AA), But back in April i decided i do not want to study architecture anymore, and that I am more interested in PPE course.
My predicted grades are A*AA in maths, physics and arts respectively, after the exams I feel im getting anything between AAA and A*A*A(need to wait for the results day). Im considering a 3rd year of A-levels to study intensive Further maths and economics, and I found a good work experience over the summer, which will help me in the application of PPE, however I don't feel i have the enough knowledge in Social sciences that can get me into good unis such as LSE or UCL to study PPE, I need to do more reading over this summer, But I dont know where to start, Especially that i have to show understanding of the 3 subjects, Philosophy, Politics and economics. Any advice on where to start and how can i achieve the enough understanding of the subjects until octuber when the 2016 application start. Thank You !!!!
Reply 1
Original post by dragozox
Hello everyone, I just finished my last A2 exam and now I have time to focus on the choice that I took few months ago. I applied to study Architecture at the university of Bath and got the offer(A*AA), But back in April i decided i do not want to study architecture anymore, and that I am more interested in PPE course.
My predicted grades are A*AA in maths, physics and arts respectively, after the exams I feel im getting anything between AAA and A*A*A(need to wait for the results day). Im considering a 3rd year of A-levels to study intensive Further maths and economics, and I found a good work experience over the summer, which will help me in the application of PPE, however I don't feel i have the enough knowledge in Social sciences that can get me into good unis such as LSE or UCL to study PPE, I need to do more reading over this summer, But I dont know where to start, Especially that i have to show understanding of the 3 subjects, Philosophy, Politics and economics. Any advice on where to start and how can i achieve the enough understanding of the subjects until octuber when the 2016 application start. Thank You !!!!
So, my first question is why you've changed direction so significantly? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it is important for you to understand what's driving this change of heart. If you are thinking that PPE would be a 'ticket to ride' in some lucrative investment banking job, be careful. Your A level profile so far does not suggest an interest in any of these three subjects, and while you could some reading and possibily another A level in preparation for 2016 entry, that's quite a high risk strategy. Lack of previous study of any of the three subjects so far could be taken to mean that you don't really understand what you'd be taking on (this isn't a criticism, by the way) - so you'd have a lot to do between now and when you'd submit your application.

Assuming that this change is 'real', you need to approach the unis you are interested in, having read the course descriptions on their uni websites thoroughly, to check what they would expect to see in your A level 'mix' and your PS. We can speculate about it, but only the unis can tell you exactly. If I were you I would do this very soon, as in another few weeks the unis will be completely tied up with Results Day preparations and won't have time to talk to you.
Reply 2
Just to add - if you are absolutely sure you don't want your architecture place, you should consider asking the uni to release you into Clearing now. See Changing your Mind. However, if you think there's a good chance that you will exceed your firm offer, you could hang on to it so that you remain eligible to use UCAS - Adjustment on Results Day. While unusual, it's not unknown for people to do a complete change of course through Adjustment.
Reply 3
Original post by Minerva
So, my first question is why you've changed direction so significantly? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it is important for you to understand what's driving this change of heart. If you are thinking that PPE would be a 'ticket to ride' in some lucrative investment banking job, be careful. Your A level profile so far does not suggest an interest in any of these three subjects, and while you could some reading and possibily another A level in preparation for 2016 entry, that's quite a high risk strategy. Lack of previous study of any of the three subjects so far could be taken to mean that you don't really understand what you'd be taking on (this isn't a criticism, by the way) - so you'd have a lot to do between now and when you'd submit your application.

Assuming that this change is 'real', you need to approach the unis you are interested in, having read the course descriptions on their uni websites thoroughly, to check what they would expect to see in your A level 'mix' and your PS. We can speculate about it, but only the unis can tell you exactly. If I were you I would do this very soon, as in another few weeks the unis will be completely tied up with Results Day preparations and won't have time to talk to you.

Hello!! Thank you for the reply, I waited for a long time to get it :smile:
About the change, Yes!! it is real I have done enough research that made me want to go to PPE, I still love architecture and I think it is very interesting, but PPE will help me to achieve more towards my goal in this life. I planned next week and I'm visiting some uni open days, and I emailed others seeking advice!! I'm already starting my work experience next week, which involves writing research related to these subjects, which will increase my knowledge about them, and I'm going to read books that are suggested by some friends that study social science subjects at uni!!
Do you think with enough grade and the plan that i just wrote, and extra A-levels, I will be eligible to apply to this course, as only high Unis tend to have this course.

Also if I make the final decition that im not doing architecture, should i withdraw my application, or is it fine if I just ignore it, as i dont think any Uni will accept me through adjustment or clearing, as the two courses are completely different :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by dragozox
Do you think with enough grade and the plan that i just wrote, and extra A-levels, I will be eligible to apply to this course, as only high Unis tend to have this course.
You can certainly put together a reasonable application having done those things, but I can't say how likely it is that you would get an offer.

Also if I make the final decition that im not doing architecture, should i withdraw my application, or is it fine if I just ignore it, as i dont think any Uni will accept me through adjustment or clearing, as the two courses are completely different :smile:
If you think there is a good chance that you will exceed your conditional firm offer for architecture, you might as well hang on to it so that you can try your luck in Adjustment - it's a slim chance that you'll get anything that way, but you never know. If your existing offer is uncondtiional, you won't be able to use Adjustment in any case, so you should ask your uni to release you into Clearing now.

When Results Day comes along, if you are able to try Adjustment but it doesn't work, you can cancel your architecture place by withdrawing your application at that point. If you've got yourself into Clearing but there's nothing suitable on offer, you can formally withdraw your application altogether if you want to, but it won't matter if you don't because nobody will make you a Clearing offer unless you have applied to them :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Minerva
You can certainly put together a reasonable application having done those things, but I can't say how likely it is that you would get an offer.

If you think there is a good chance that you will exceed your conditional firm offer for architecture, you might as well hang on to it so that you can try your luck in Adjustment - it's a slim chance that you'll get anything that way, but you never know. If your existing offer is uncondtiional, you won't be able to use Adjustment in any case, so you should ask your uni to release you into Clearing now.

When Results Day comes along, if you are able to try Adjustment but it doesn't work, you can cancel your architecture place by withdrawing your application at that point. If you've got yourself into Clearing but there's nothing suitable on offer, you can formally withdraw your application altogether if you want to, but it won't matter if you don't because nobody will make you a Clearing offer unless you have applied to them :smile:

thank you so much for ur help and the effort u spend with me!!!
I wish u the best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending